Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331235 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #945 on: January 11, 2016, 07:30:43 pm »

Crusader kings 2? I mean, you can rebel, other folks can rebel, etc.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: January 11, 2016, 08:05:38 pm »

Freedom Fighters is a fairly linear third person shooter, but it has a neat gimmick. You're generally doing missions in bundles of three or so, but you can choose the order in which you do them. They also affect each other, "blow the bridge" mission to cut off reinforcements in others, "blow the helipad" to remove a hind from other missions, that sort of thing. Solid game and the gimmick is neat, doesn't get old before you beat the game.

Themewise you're New York resistance fighters fending off a soviet invasion of US. Plenty of AK's and molotov cocktails. Has a good feel.

You'd probably prefer AI War or Last Federation for their strategic qualities. In AI War you fight against a superior enemy that is capable of destroying you from the start. Strong vibe of playing plucky rebels. In Last Federation you are an individual agent in a 4X played by seven AI players, your goal is to get everyone join a shared federation, which could pass as a revolution of sorts.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 11, 2016, 08:10:43 pm »

Freedom Fighters is a fairly linear third person shooter, but it has a neat gimmick. You're generally doing missions in bundles of three or so, but you can choose the order in which you do them. They also affect each other, "blow the bridge" mission to cut off reinforcements in others, "blow the helipad" to remove a hind from other missions, that sort of thing. Solid game and the gimmick is neat, doesn't get old before you beat the game.

Themewise you're New York resistance fighters fending off a soviet invasion of US. Plenty of AK's and molotov cocktails. Has a good feel.

You'd probably prefer AI War or Last Federation for their strategic qualities. In AI War you fight against a superior enemy that is capable of destroying you from the start. Strong vibe of playing plucky rebels. In Last Federation you are an individual agent in a 4X played by seven AI players, your goal is to get everyone join a shared federation, which could pass as a revolution of sorts.
Alright, thanks, i'll try those.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 12, 2016, 10:14:00 am »

Did they upgrade the AI in Last Federation?  Because their lack of self preservation was absurd. 
As in they kept sending ships to attack 1-by-1, despite the fact that all other allied ships within the enemy zone has been destroyed... and worst of all, despite the fact that their homeworld/spawn point is currently under siege.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 14, 2016, 05:39:58 pm »

Is Prototype 2 any good? I'm thinking of buying an open world murder sim and that caught my eye. Aside from some technical downsides, it seems like a fun, amoral power trip of a game. Anyone care to share some words for it, for or against? Or are there perhaps other games I should look into? Saints Row 4 seems similarly laden with super powers, but P2 is ever so slightly more appealing for some reason.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: January 14, 2016, 06:40:54 pm »

I thought it was good, worth a purchase at least. The only bad thing I'd have to say about it is where the story went after Prototype 1, turning Mercer into a bad b-movie villain (motivation-wise) than the tomato-in-the-mirror anti-hero he ended up being from Prototype 1. And also making the new protagonist a more classic, more forgettable hero-type, to the extent that I don't even remember his name. But, it's not like Prototype 1's story was a major pillar to begin with so going weaker in that regard shouldn't make or break a decision.

I think there might have also been something Different/Dumber about how you earn new powers? I don't remember much about that aspect.

I liked the game and I would like to see more of that 'verse, so in that respect I recommend it.

For comparison, I'd also recommend SR3 and 4 and Prototype 1.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 14, 2016, 08:24:42 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, and fun as those games were, I was looking for something strategic, non linear revolution aspect, and google isn't giving me any hits
So I'm barely through the story because I'm shit, but ARMA 3 puts you in the boots of a guerilla terrorist NATO soldier, and while the story is semi-linear it does let you do missions out of order to build up resources in a certain way, or go out around the map outside of missions to destroy roadblocks or take out downed helicopter crews or whatever.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 15, 2016, 01:33:52 am »

I'm kinda looking for war/strategy games that let you take control of a 'hero' unit in the middle of the war.  Not dynasty warriors type really, more men of War; assault squad.  Or Kingdom under fire.  Sort of a game where you still control the grand scale/army but get a bit of time in a more smaller scale control once in awhile.
Nom nom nom

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 15, 2016, 06:56:26 am »

I'm kinda looking for war/strategy games that let you take control of a 'hero' unit in the middle of the war.  Not dynasty warriors type really, more men of War; assault squad.  Or Kingdom under fire.  Sort of a game where you still control the grand scale/army but get a bit of time in a more smaller scale control once in awhile.

Something a little like Heroes of Might and Magic?  It is a giant series, and I'm not familiar with the newer titles or how they play. Number 5 is generally considered to be a good blend between the classic gameplay and modern graphics, which suggests to me that the newer games have changed the gameplay somehow -- but I dont really know.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 15, 2016, 11:34:06 am »

Warcraft 3? vOv

Warlords Battlecry 3?

I haven't played any of the three games you mentioned so these probably won't be good suggestions. Besides, everyone has played Warcraft 3.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 15, 2016, 12:59:45 pm »

Dawn of War and its expansions are similar to Warcraft 3. I think some of the campaign missions (at least in the releases that don't have a "conquer territories" campaign map) have primarily hero-centric missions where you have very limited or no reinforcement opportunities (including no base building or unit construction).

Dawn of War 2 focuses entirely on the "hero" campaign in which you are expected to win missions using only the units you have available, no base building or unit construction (AFAIR) at all.

There are other, lesser-known RTS games that do something similar to Warcraft 3. Spellforce 1,2 are two of them, though I only played one of them for a little bit (and I don't remember which one). But it is primarily an RTS (base building and groups of units aren't so much armies as squads) with hero units.

There's Sacrifice, which is a really Weird RTS game where your camera is fixed on your demigod character in a third-person perspective.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #956 on: January 15, 2016, 01:06:14 pm »

Dawn of War and its expansions are similar to Warcraft 3. I think some of the campaign missions (at least in the releases that don't have a "conquer territories" campaign map) have primarily hero-centric missions where you have very limited or no reinforcement opportunities (including no base building or unit construction).
And then there is Dawn Of War 2 Retribution which mixes it a bit. You still have the heroes and you're supposed to finish a good bunch of missions with basically only them, and you can totally do like all of them only with heroes, but there are also regular units which you can build to help you. No base building outside putting an occasional defensive turret sometimes.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 16, 2016, 07:52:09 pm »

So, I moved to California and now I can't get a good internet connection on any games.  All I can play with a good internet connection is DOTA, but DOTA is a bit... intense.

Can anyone recommend me a good multiplayer game that:
1. Has explicit US West servers and generally good connection.
2. Little to no grinding.
3. Related to above, everyone enters each game on an even playing field.  None of that FtP crap where you can level up your account and it gives you in-game bonuses.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 16, 2016, 09:31:24 pm »

Heroes of the Storm? I haven't played it in a while, so I don't know what's changed, but when I last played the extent of the non-skill difference in #3 was just how many of the character's perks were available for you to choose from in-game (e.g. you might have two choices per level instead of five), and more were unlocked as you levelled the character up. Once you reached a high enough player level, it removed that limitation for all characters.

All the characters aren't available, however. It's more like LoL in that regard.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 17, 2016, 01:19:59 am »

So, I moved to California and now I can't get a good internet connection on any games.  All I can play with a good internet connection is DOTA, but DOTA is a bit... intense.

Can anyone recommend me a good multiplayer game that:
1. Has explicit US West servers and generally good connection.
2. Little to no grinding.
3. Related to above, everyone enters each game on an even playing field.  None of that FtP crap where you can level up your account and it gives you in-game bonuses.

Team Fortress 2?

Join us EH, join usssssss.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 179