Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331215 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #930 on: January 06, 2016, 06:13:47 pm »

Actually XCOM 2 doesn't come out for another month.

Really? Steam keeps trying to get me to buy it, and I keep not clicking on it. *shakes fist at steam*
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 06, 2016, 06:27:03 pm »

Unless there is some sort of fine tuned definition of tactical RPG I do not know of...

Features Guns(Since you only mentioned games with guns.)
Scout Rush: Valkyria Chronicles

Not as much on Guns
Old School: Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Tactics
Got Choices: Banner Saga
Grindy Comedy: Disgaea Series
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #932 on: January 10, 2016, 08:11:57 pm »

Are there any good heist-flavored games that aren't Payday? Single player or multiplayer.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #933 on: January 10, 2016, 08:16:49 pm »

Sub Rosa is a fun little game, even if it might not be exactly what you're aiming for.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 10, 2016, 09:18:18 pm »

I've heard "Monaco: What's yours is mine" is good, and certainly fits with the "Heist" theme.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 10, 2016, 10:02:41 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 10, 2016, 10:48:53 pm »

Are there any good heist-flavored games that aren't Payday? Single player or multiplayer.

Thief series?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: January 10, 2016, 10:54:05 pm »

For the gadgets and stuff, maybe SWAT 4. It has the planning aspect I believe, though you're securing banks rather than robbing them.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 10, 2016, 10:55:16 pm »

I've heard "Monaco: What's yours is mine" is good, and certainly fits with the "Heist" theme.
Monaco is a lot of fun, especially with friends.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 11, 2016, 05:42:50 am »

Thief series?

As long as he's comfortable with medieval/steam-/fantasypunkish setting. There's some levels that are as heisty as they come. Thief 2 would probably be the best, since first and third game have little horror/zombie smashing thrown in every few levels. No idea about the fourth, though I hear it's a bad Thief game.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is worth a consideration I suppose. It's not heist flavour per se, you're infiltrating things for AMERICAN DEMOCRACY, but some levels give a good heist feel (bank, high security offices). It really varies by that metric though, so consider this a cautious recommendation.

I think the most heist-like game I can think of are the original Rainbow Six games. I think key part to a heist is the pre-heist planning, and that series up to Raven Shield is the only one that puts serious emphasis on planning. And well, it's not a heist since you're just storming buildings and shooting up tangos. A bit similar to the SWAT 4 recommendation, though I'd feel safe recommending SWAT 3 as well with the same caveats.

Proper heist games seem hard to come by.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #940 on: January 11, 2016, 01:09:58 pm »

Speaking of Rainbow Six - Siege seems to be mostly about defending/attacking a certain place, IRC a bank is one of them.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: January 11, 2016, 05:30:11 pm »

Any games about rebels and revolutionaries and stuff like that that isn't Republic, XCOM-2, or LCS?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: January 11, 2016, 05:39:18 pm »

Any games about rebels and revolutionaries and stuff like that that isn't Republic, XCOM-2, or LCS?
I take it you want to rebels to be the protagonists?
Red Faction and sequels are all about revolutions, though the actual revolution aspect is pretty linear. Ditto with Just Cause.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 11, 2016, 05:46:19 pm »

I take it you want to rebels to be the protagonists?
Red Faction and sequels are all about revolutions, though the actual revolution aspect is pretty linear. Ditto with Just Cause.
Thanks for the suggestion, and fun as those games were, I was looking for something strategic, non linear revolution aspect, and google isn't giving me any hits

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 179