Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331225 times)

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #915 on: December 25, 2015, 06:56:07 am »

Looking for a solid text-based RPG that does not require me to type actions in ("look around", "head east" etc), but makes use of the mouse instead. I'd like it to have story and choices, and not just be a text-based dungeon crawler. Closest thing I've found to what I want is Sryth, though it is a bit arcady with more focus on combat than anything else.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: December 25, 2015, 10:26:43 am »

I'm looking for a post apocalyptic trading sim.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 25, 2015, 11:19:23 am »

I'm looking for a post apocalyptic trading sim.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sugarfreegames/caravaneer-2

Fallout 2 (can't say about other fallout games) has elements of that (stimpacks and medicine is cheaper in the civilized east than rugged north west.)

Kenshi (Post apocalyptic asian themed weird RPG thing, can't wholeheartedly reccoment yet because the last time i played it it was not even halfway finished. However the idea is there and you migh at least put it on your watchlist.)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 06, 2016, 03:13:23 pm »

Could some suggest me a decent tactical RPG? I struggled to play the original XCOM for several times, but I just can't stand its look. I also played some of Jagged Alliance 2 a while ago, but the weird randomness and difficulty make me cheat via reloading rather often, this game is just too stressful for me (not to say that the graphics are creepy as well). Another promising tactical game was Silent Storm, but I *detest* the WW2 setting (even with science fiction features involved).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:56:21 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 06, 2016, 03:19:07 pm »

Xenonauts

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 06, 2016, 03:27:28 pm »

Fallout Tactics. 

It gets panned, but mostly for not meeting expectations.  If you're expecting a light/easy tactical game with rpg overtones and a linear mission sequence, it delivers that.  Especially if youre not liking Xcom or JA2, FT might be about right for what you want.

Maybe also give a look at Massive Chalice.  there are some 'false choice' sorts of things where you are always losing ground, so you might not like that.  but the tactics are simple and pretty easy, and the strategic goal is only to survive the timer so the false choices are not that bad since gaining ground isnt really a thing.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 06, 2016, 03:44:58 pm »

I played Fallout Tactics and Xenonauts as well (don't know how I could have forgotten that).

Fallout Tactics is a great game (actually I like it way better than Fallout 2), but it was played a long time ago and I'm surely not going to get back to it (though I didn't finish it), because I'm intentionally seeking for somenthing new and fresh (to me).

Admittedly, I don't remember what was wrong with Xenonauts for me, maybe I should give it another shot one day.

Any other suggestions? Which tactical games (if there were any) from the WH40k series is it worth to play?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:52:15 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 06, 2016, 03:46:11 pm »

I remember there being a "Warhammer 40k: Squad Command" or something like that, but I don't remember if it was any good.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 06, 2016, 03:50:02 pm »

There are also the modern Shadowrun games.

Edit: There is a Space Hulk game based on the board game of the same name.  Rather simplistic game, but you might take a look.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:54:51 pm by Bouchart »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 06, 2016, 04:17:44 pm »

I remember there being a "Warhammer 40k: Squad Command" or something like that, but I don't remember if it was any good.

There are a bunch of 40K tactics games, Dawn of War 2 is pretty good (DOW1 is more of a RTS).  My favorite was Chaos Gate, which was an old one made by SSI.

The original spacehulk game was crazy hard, but I guess the new ones are more accessible?  I have not tried them yet.

There is a ton of warhammer shovelware out right now, everything from casual mobile games to chess-with-bolters.  hard to sift through it all.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: January 06, 2016, 04:28:43 pm »

You could always try Firaxis' XCOM. Xenonauts was designed to be like the original X-COM, I believe, whereas Firaxis' was streamlined with a lot of the complicated stuff simplified or removed, and made easier to play. It doesn't take hours and hours to play through missions anymore. (The graphics are better too, obviously)

It's also got new stuff as well, of course, especially if you also pick up the expansion.

In some ways I like it better than the original (it's a lot less tedious).

(And there's a sequel out now, in which Humanity lost the war right at the beginning. I haven't played it, personally, and don't know anything about how good it might be.)

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 06, 2016, 05:06:06 pm »

There's Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I think it gets underrated, as it stands in the shadow of the original Tactics game. It's really good though. The story is cribbed from The Never-Ending Story, but that's not a bad thing. There's also a decent number of missions.

If you want more of the gameplay go ahead and try FFTA2, but be warned that the story is garbage.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 06, 2016, 05:06:36 pm »

Actually XCOM 2 doesn't come out for another month.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 06, 2016, 05:11:08 pm »

There's Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I think it gets underrated, as it stands in the shadow of the original Tactics game. It's really good though. The story is cribbed from The Never-Ending Story, but that's not a bad thing. There's also a decent number of missions.

Marche is the worst-written Final Fantasy villain ever.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 06, 2016, 05:40:18 pm »

If you want more of the gameplay go ahead and try FFTA2, but be warned that the story is garbage.

How is that even possible? The first FFTA's story was certainly not the greatest, but you would think that they would improve things for the sequel...
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 179