Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331211 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #885 on: December 05, 2015, 10:32:35 pm »

How about The Knight of Lodis?
Ehh, the main reason I abandoned my Fire Emblem Let's Play was that it's sort of tedious to write screenshot Let's Plays for strategy games. A proper Let's Play for a turn-based strategy game involves taking screenshots of every move you make and more often than not captioning them. With a traditional JRPG you can take fewer screenshots and skip over the long bits of dungeon crawling and random encounters and get straight to the meat of the story and boss battles.

Thanks for the recommendation, though, I might have to try that one after I finish the Fire Emblem games for the system.

Re: Golden Sun:
The first two Golden Suns are basically a single looooooooong game on two cartridges.
Golden Sun is far too wordy for its own good.
I kind of like wordy games, and I wouldn't mind doing one looooooooong Let's Play for both games. Is there an awful lot of unresolved plot at the end of the second one?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 05, 2015, 10:44:17 pm »

It's not a good wordy game. It's more like:
'Heys guys, we should do A!'
'You can do A by B!'
'We must do A because C!'
That sort of thing. Needless repetition of stuff you already know just inflates the word count much more than it should. And the plot is rather weak and full of holes too, so... Yeah. Don't do Golden Sun.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 05, 2015, 10:50:31 pm »

I really, really liked Golden Sun as a kid.  It has a really nice atmosphere I felt (kinda... mysterious?  IDK) and they did some good things with the graphics and sound.  Which is a little diminished now because, you know, GBA.

I don't remember excessive dialogue but its been years so *shrug*.  What I do remember is that in addition to the standard two lines of dialogue for NPCs you can also mind read all of them to hear what they're really thinking.  Also you get a boat in the second game and you can go exploring.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 05, 2015, 11:01:39 pm »

Hm.

Well, the translation patch for Mother 3 is being screwy (Linux :v), so I think I'll just take a shot at both of them and see which one I feel would be more suited for a Let's Play.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 05, 2015, 11:06:00 pm »

I just got a sudden hankering for new RPG that has weapons that level up. Examples: Disgaea, Dark Cloud, FF9, and I suppose FF7 if you count materia.

You know, it's not the character, or the weapon proficiency, it's the weapon itself that is leveling and getting stronger. Weapons that transform when you use them enough is the best, because it's like your weapon is a character that is growing alongside you in the game, and that's just a good feeling man.

Not new and not an RPG but any installment of Ratchet & Clank after the first has this

EDIT:
Also if tabletop RPGs co8nt there's also the Weapons of Legacy rules supplement for D&D 3.5

EDIT:
Actually, also in D&D 3.5 there's nothing in the rules preventing you from playing as an intelligent magic item as long as the DM's ok with it.

Skyrim is also halfway this. Improvements to the character's skill (in smithing and weapon enchanting) allow for direct improvements of the weapon (and armor pieces) itself that persist even if the character's skills are debuffed or reset.

Temple of Elemental Evil also has weapon enchanting. The limit is based on a character's skill level, but the improvements made are to the weapon itself and persist even if the weapon is given to someone else and/or the crafter is dropped from the party.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 05, 2015, 11:16:53 pm »

Partway through The Summoning (isometric DOS RPG by SSI) you find a rusty sword which thirsts for blood and speaks to you. The more you kill with it, the more powerful it gets.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 08, 2015, 07:11:13 am »

Here's one for you all: Recommend me a game that's best played rip-roaring drunk.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 08, 2015, 09:13:53 am »

I once saw some drunk playthroughs of Oregon Trail 2.  Everyone died.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 08, 2015, 09:57:26 am »

Here's one for you all: Recommend me a game that's best played rip-roaring drunk.
I'm pretty sure there's a game this forum was pretty much dedicated to... what was it again... oh yes, Dwarf Fortress!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 08, 2015, 02:07:26 pm »

Cards Against Humznity
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 08, 2015, 02:50:05 pm »

Call of duty on console, while talking into the mic? :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 08, 2015, 06:34:17 pm »

whoops, nevermind. managed to reply to something from 2013.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 11, 2015, 06:22:17 am »

Monaco, 4-player co-op.  Preferably as the Mole.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 12, 2015, 07:22:54 pm »

A good MechWarrior game that also has servicable mouse-aim. I like the concept but I didn't at all grow up in the era of keyboard aimed first person shooters, so I can't really play some of them at all (had a go at the demo or whatever it was of MW4).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 13, 2015, 01:04:27 am »

A good MechWarrior game that also has servicable mouse-aim. I like the concept but I didn't at all grow up in the era of keyboard aimed first person shooters, so I can't really play some of them at all (had a go at the demo or whatever it was of MW4).

Weird. I remember being able to use the mouse with MW4. Might take some finagling with the settings? I know that MW3 had a much more intuitive mouse-driven aiming style, but it was also incredibly buggy. If you can get around those issues, it's not a bad game in the slightest.

EDIT: Mechwarrior Online has a pretty great mouse aiming setup. I don't like the multiplayer focus and the need to follow meta to stay competitive takes too much time for me, but others definitely enjoy it.

------------------------

I'm looking for a game, any genre, but preferably first-person, with an emphasis on gritty, dark urban environments. Something like Duke Nukem 3D or Quarantine, but possibly more modern. Bonus points if it has a unique color palette.

I've pretty much exhausted every game I know of, but I'd like to think I've missed some.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:09:54 am by Scripten »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 179