Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331199 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #870 on: December 02, 2015, 03:17:45 pm »

I just got a sudden hankering for new RPG that has weapons that level up. Examples: Disgaea, Dark Cloud, FF9, and I suppose FF7 if you count materia.

You know, it's not the character, or the weapon proficiency, it's the weapon itself that is leveling and getting stronger. Weapons that transform when you use them enough is the best, because it's like your weapon is a character that is growing alongside you in the game, and that's just a good feeling man.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: December 02, 2015, 03:26:15 pm »

Crossbowmen! Stop firing at the f****ing front lines our men are there!

Complaints aside, it's a fun turn-based grand strategy game. Would recommend.

When you order them to fire, choose "none" instead of a target, and they'll try to avoid shooting your other troops. :)
(You're probably using fire closest, right?)

Basically it lets them choose their own targets more intelligently.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: December 02, 2015, 03:35:12 pm »

I just got a sudden hankering for new RPG that has weapons that level up. Examples: Disgaea, Dark Cloud, FF9, and I suppose FF7 if you count materia.

You know, it's not the character, or the weapon proficiency, it's the weapon itself that is leveling and getting stronger. Weapons that transform when you use them enough is the best, because it's like your weapon is a character that is growing alongside you in the game, and that's just a good feeling man.

Then you need to play Daikatana since the Daikatana had its own experience meter.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: December 02, 2015, 04:55:56 pm »

Hey, I was just trying to help.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: December 02, 2015, 05:01:59 pm »

Not new and not an RPG but any installment of Ratchet & Clank after the first has this

EDIT:
Also if tabletop RPGs co8nt there's also the Weapons of Legacy rules supplement for D&D 3.5

EDIT:
Actually, also in D&D 3.5 there's nothing in the rules preventing you from playing as an intelligent magic item as long as the DM's ok with it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:05:36 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: December 02, 2015, 05:14:38 pm »

...pokemon?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: December 02, 2015, 07:46:25 pm »

...pokemon?
Spoiler: Couldn't Help Myself (click to show/hide)

To give a, uh, serious reply, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the first game in the Darkengard series had evolving weapons.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 03, 2015, 09:37:34 am »

Not new and not an RPG but any installment of Ratchet & Clank after the first has this

EDIT:
Also if tabletop RPGs co8nt there's also the Weapons of Legacy rules supplement for D&D 3.5

EDIT:
Actually, also in D&D 3.5 there's nothing in the rules preventing you from playing as an intelligent magic item as long as the DM's ok with it.

I second Ratchet and clank. The weapons keep getting stronger and it feels good.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 03, 2015, 10:45:47 am »

Cave Story, unless you want to use Nemesis.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: December 03, 2015, 11:47:28 am »

Maybe you'd like Crysalis.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: December 05, 2015, 10:11:42 pm »

After my plan to blind LP Fire Emblem 7 fell flat when I got ahead of myself (roughly ten chapters ahead, that is), I still have a hankering for doing a blind Let's Play of a role-playing game of some sort. Since I just got my GBA emulator working properly, I figured I might take a shot at one of the GBA classics. Which one would you guys recommend? I'm considering Golden Sun, Final Fantasy V, and maybe Mother 3 if I can bother to fiddle around with the translation patch, although I'm leaning more toward the former two at the moment.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: December 05, 2015, 10:14:55 pm »

How about The Knight of Lodis?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: December 05, 2015, 10:20:36 pm »

Mother 3 is great. Final Fantasy V is also pretty great. Golden Sun is far too wordy for its own good. Knights of Lodis is... I haven't played that one, honestly. I tried, but I was expecting something along the lines of FFT:A which threw me off too much so I gave up. Apparently it's somewhat difficult though? Or full of hidden items or something. Obviously I wouldn't know. It's still probably better than Golden Sun either way.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 05, 2015, 10:27:40 pm »

Golden Sun was the only game I've ever played where I fought the final boss without realizing it, since there was so much unresolved plot.

I much prefer Beyond the Beyond, which was by the same devs though it was for the PS1.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 05, 2015, 10:29:52 pm »

The first two Golden Suns are basically a single looooooooong game on two cartridges.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 179