Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331184 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #855 on: November 28, 2015, 09:04:32 am »

Earthsiege 2 was pretty sweet altho it's now pretty old and hard to get running.

Frolm newer titles... you might try Hawken. Not sure if it's still supported tho.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: November 28, 2015, 09:23:35 am »

Could someone recommend me a good mecha game  ?

I've played Mechwarriors 2 and 4, Front mission 3.

Primary interested in building, customization, battle-testing and maybe some storyline as a bonus )

Thanks in advance!

If you have any Playstation consoles, the Armored Core series is pretty enjoyable. The newer iterations are also on Xbox 360.

I've been hankering for a game that allows you to act as a necromancer or commander of undead, whether RTS, TBS or even something along the lines of Diablo 2.

Bonus points for being able to use your enemy's deaths to expand your ever growing army, to the point of becoming an undead singularity of sorts

Baldur's Gate would fit the bill with its summoning spells, particularly the first one where there wasn't a cap on how many minions one could summon.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:29:51 am by Flying Carcass »

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: November 28, 2015, 06:53:44 pm »

Could somebody recommend me a good grand strategy game?

I have played all the newer main paradox titles (EU4, HOI3, Vic2, CK2), Darkest hour, and Aurora 4x. It'd be nice to find something that is set during EU4's timeline.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #858 on: November 28, 2015, 07:02:29 pm »

EU. EU2. EU3.
Jokes aside, the Supreme Ruler series, but that's not EU4 timeline. Also there were those two games called Imperialism, but AFAIK, they're more of spreadsheet simulators than any EU game. Also old.
So old...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:05:14 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 28, 2015, 08:04:33 pm »

Does anyone else even bother to compete with Paradox in the grand strategy genre?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 28, 2015, 08:17:24 pm »

Does anyone else even bother to compete with Paradox in the grand strategy genre?

Well there's Romance of the three kingdoms and it's spinoffs like Nobunaga's ambition.
However i'm not a Grand Strategy Buff so i can't say if those are good average or terrible.
Self promotion below.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 28, 2015, 11:37:12 pm »

Could someone recommend me a good mecha game  ?

I've played Mechwarriors 2 and 4, Front mission 3.

Primary interested in building, customization, battle-testing and maybe some storyline as a bonus )

Thanks in advance!

I hear great things about Chrome Hounds for multiplayer team tactics, but its an xbox exclusive title.

For older stuff, I really enjoyed Mission Force: Cyberstorm, which is in the earthsiege/starsiege series, but is turn based on a 3d hex grid.  It has building and customization and pilot upgrades, and a story based campaign.

Even older, I also really liked the original Mechwarrior game, 1988 or so, DOS.  Somehow, the ancient graphics age better than the mid-90s graphics of the newer games.

Heavy Gear was tons of fun, slightly newer than Mechwarrior 2, but of the same era.  Little bit faster paced, more tactical variety.

Shogo MAD was pretty fun, basically a FPS but you switch from mech to on foot as you go through the campaign.  No customization, though you can transform!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 28, 2015, 11:51:25 pm »

G-Nome was a mechwarrior style game.  It's early Windows-era, so you might have trouble getting it to run.  It's entirely combat oriented, though.

Then there was Metal Warriors for the SNES.  It's a mecha game, but it's a fairly conventional platformer.  Campaign is difficult.  Good local multiplayer.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 28, 2015, 11:56:48 pm »

G-Nome was a mechwarrior style game.  It's early Windows-era, so you might have trouble getting it to run.  It's entirely combat oriented, though.

Ooh, that was the one with the ejection-gun and the voxels. That was fun.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 29, 2015, 03:40:09 am »

Does anyone know of a good assassin game? I liked the Hitman series, but I'm looking for something a little more open world: get a contract, travel around, wait and observe, dispatch victim, randomly generated kind of thing.

It'd be nice if there were multiple killing methods: weapons, poisoning, sneaking around causing "accidents"... all that good stuff. I messed around a little with the Dark Brotherhood contracts in Skyrim for a bit, and it was fun, but there were only like 5 different kinds of people to kill, and it got boring after a while.

I don't mind terrible graphics, either--I used to be big on roguelikes, and even MUDs for a short time.

If such a game exists, I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me about it. Thank you!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 29, 2015, 09:04:14 am »

Shadow of Mordor perhaps?
The nemesis system is a good stand in for an assasination list with all more important orcs having strengths weaknesses fears and hates.
Self promotion below.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 29, 2015, 08:13:37 pm »

Guys, I have Dom3 and Dom4 is on sale on steam for like, 25% off.

Is it worth?
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 29, 2015, 08:51:14 pm »

Ooh, that was the one with the ejection-gun and the voxels. That was fun.

That's the one!  I still have the CD laying around, but I haven't played it since the late 1990s or so and getting it to run out of the box on Windows 7 might take some effort.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 30, 2015, 04:12:32 am »

Anyone here play Albion Online?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 30, 2015, 04:44:57 am »

Guys, I have Dom3 and Dom4 is on sale on steam for like, 25% off.

Is it worth?

I have played both and suggest just getting 4. They are pretty similar but the newer one has more content.

Basically, it's a board game with armies of individual units and you can send hundreds of units into battle in formations with rules of engagement and it will play out a fight scene for you. There are dozens of races over 3 periods of time (the later the Age, the less magic) and a huge list of spells.

My only gripes with the game are that you lack the ability to have more control over what your army does. I don't want to make my flying units wait 2 turns and attack, I want them to attack when the 2 main armies have clashed! I don't want my mages to ever use that shitty fire spell, I want them to use inferno! And on the middle of their army, not the middle of both our armies! Crossbowmen! Stop firing at the f****ing front lines our men are there!

Complaints aside, it's a fun turn-based grand strategy game. Would recommend.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 179