Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331187 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #840 on: November 19, 2015, 02:52:57 pm »

It might help to know what kind of learning - you can find tablet games which are supposed to be educational for very young kids, which for example may name a thing and ask the kid to touch it. Or maybe you want something else, like, say, something that teaches typing or (supposedly) math, or something like SimAnt.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 19, 2015, 02:59:28 pm »

Any of the Where in the X is Carmen Sandiego games were usually pretty fun while still being fairly educational.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 19, 2015, 03:21:28 pm »

There was a game where Omar Sharif taught you how to play Bridge.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 19, 2015, 03:30:32 pm »

I'm curious. What's a good educational game? Not a "you might learn something if you have guidance while you play" game. I want a game where you come out of the game knowing more than you did going in, and that was exactly what the game was designed to do. Are there any good games like that?
"Frog Fractions": http://twinbeard.com/frog-fractions/.

I'd call it pretty fnu and educational.
One wheel short of a wagon

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 21, 2015, 04:49:56 am »

I'm curious. What's a good educational game? Not a "you might learn something if you have guidance while you play" game. I want a game where you come out of the game knowing more than you did going in, and that was exactly what the game was designed to do. Are there any good games like that?
Kerbil Space Program.

I would also say Paradox Grand Strategy games are decently educational; they aren't always strictly correct but damn if I don't know far more about history after playing them.  Not what they were intended to do but they serve the function.

"Frog Fractions": http://twinbeard.com/frog-fractions/.

I'd call it pretty fnu and educational.
...I agree, somehow.  Although only educational in a very... hard to pin down way.  Mind expanding?  Certainly an experience.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 21, 2015, 08:27:19 am »

A bit late but relevant to my interests.

I've been hankering for a game that allows you to act as a necromancer or commander of undead, whether RTS, TBS or even something along the lines of Diablo 2.

Bonus points for being able to use your enemy's deaths to expand your ever growing army, to the point of becoming an undead singularity of sorts.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. If you worship either Kikubaaqudgha (suitable for caster necro archetype) or Yredelemnul (more of an evil-priest vibe, basically a non-caster's way to get undead servants) you could do something akin to a necromancer. Both allow for some undead commanding.

Warcraft 3 Undead are pretty good for it as has been said.

Sacrifice allows you to command a bunch of monsters no matter which school you go for, though necromancy monsters are themed appropriately. You do get a spell that lets you revive dead friendlies, appropriately titled Animate Dead. Overall it looks the part but mostly feels like a general wizard/summoning thing with an appropriate theme rather than through and through necromancy sim.

Dominions 4 has some pretty cool undead stuff if you don't mind the visuals. Do give it a look. There's a good number of death-magic nations and you can do some interesting things with those. Same devs have made Conquest of Elysium 4 which should also have a necromancer class to play with. I've only played CoE3, which was neat but flawed. Apparently CoE4 is a bit more neat and a little less flawed, though still very much both. Worth a gander.

I'm not entirely sold on Heroes of Might & Magic undead myself, but they do look the part and games are fun nevertheless.

For your singularity point, I think Dominions and HoMM are most suitable. HoMM necromancers can convert enemy dead into yet more skeletons at a... 3:1 ratio? I forget. And Dominion has a few nations that 'radiate' death and spawn more undead.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 21, 2015, 06:12:31 pm »

In HoMM5 (at least with the latest patches) the Necromancy skill was changed. Now instead of just raising skeletons you can raise any kind of creature up to and including dragons. However that power is limited by "dark power" you only get a limited amount of every week.
Not sure how they did necromancy in HoMM6 and 7 tho.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:59:04 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 21, 2015, 08:28:02 pm »

You guys have any suggestions for good 3DS games? In particular, I don't have any traditional turn-based RPGs for it, so any of those would be welcome. I'd go for anything fun, though, but I want to steer clear of simulation, puzzle, and FPS/shmup/etc. games and I'd much prefer something with a reasonably thick plot. Not a serious plot, necessarily, but I at least want a few twists and turns along the way.

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 21, 2015, 08:43:55 pm »

Bravely Default is something you'd like if you liked the older Final Fantasy games.. Being able to choose encounter rate and speed up combat is a thing that after having, you'll wish all other RPGs with random encounters and grinding had.

The Etrian Odyssey series is a love letter to old-school, first-person RPGs. The map system is somewhat unique and quite fun. And it's hard. The random enemies actually have a good chance at killing you if you're not careful, and there's a reason that FOE's are called by the fandom "Fucking Overpowered Enemies" (Although they can be avoided). The remakes of the first and second (Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl and Etrian Odyssey Untold II: The Fafnir Knight) have more story and pre-made characters, and the fourth one is the most beginner-friendly, but there isn't as much story.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is also good, and also hard. Dying in the tutorial is possible, even likely. You unlock easy mode on your second death; I unlocked it before I got past the first dungeon.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:45:29 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 21, 2015, 08:50:43 pm »

The DS has an absurdly rich library of RPGs, if you don't mind a slightly messed-up resolution. Seriously, you can get:
  • Final Fantasy III & IV (III is pretty bad, in my opinion, but IV is great)
  • Dragon Quest IV, V, and VI (IV was one of the first RPGs I ever played, so I might be biased, but I found them really fun)
  • Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, Heartgold, Soulsilver, Black, White, Black 2, White 2 (it's Pokemon)
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (not a traditional RPG, but a really good one; I strongly recommend this game)
Those are the big names. There are a ton more, too, though a lot of them are probably shovelware.

Some 3DS Dragon Quest remakes are going to be coming to the West soon, apparently; those will probably be good.

Edit: Forgot Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, which I really enjoyed. I probably wouldn't enjoy it quite so much today, and it certainly isn't a traditional RPG, but it is turn-based.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:57:00 pm by Elephant Parade »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 21, 2015, 09:02:34 pm »

an RPG where unarmed combat is fun, or extensive, or potentially OP. One where I can be a muscle wizard?

EDIT: Preferably that can run on an okay computer, my current laptop is really aging.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 21, 2015, 11:47:15 pm »

Bravely Default is something you'd like if you liked the older Final Fantasy games.. Being able to choose encounter rate and speed up combat is a thing that after having, you'll wish all other RPGs with random encounters and grinding had.

The Etrian Odyssey series is a love letter to old-school, first-person RPGs. The map system is somewhat unique and quite fun. And it's hard. The random enemies actually have a good chance at killing you if you're not careful, and there's a reason that FOE's are called by the fandom "Fucking Overpowered Enemies" (Although they can be avoided). The remakes of the first and second (Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl and Etrian Odyssey Untold II: The Fafnir Knight) have more story and pre-made characters, and the fourth one is the most beginner-friendly, but there isn't as much story.
I'd actually had my eye on the first one, but I totally forgot about Etrian Odyssey. I'll have to check those two out.
The DS has an absurdly rich library of RPGs, if you don't mind a slightly messed-up resolution. Seriously, you can get:
  • Final Fantasy III & IV (III is pretty bad, in my opinion, but IV is great)
  • Dragon Quest IV, V, and VI (IV was one of the first RPGs I ever played, so I might be biased, but I found them really fun)
  • Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, Heartgold, Soulsilver, Black, White, Black 2, White 2 (it's Pokemon)
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (not a traditional RPG, but a really good one; I strongly recommend this game)
Those are the big names. There are a ton more, too, though a lot of them are probably shovelware.

Some 3DS Dragon Quest remakes are going to be coming to the West soon, apparently; those will probably be good.

Edit: Forgot Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, which I really enjoyed. I probably wouldn't enjoy it quite so much today, and it certainly isn't a traditional RPG, but it is turn-based.
I already own the main-series Pokémon games listed and I'm trudging my way through a FFIV ROM right now, but I'd heard some about the Mario and Luigi games and the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games, so I'll have to look into those as well.

Thanks for the advice, guys!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 22, 2015, 12:21:50 am »

an RPG where unarmed combat is fun, or extensive, or potentially OP. One where I can be a muscle wizard?

EDIT: Preferably that can run on an okay computer, my current laptop is really aging.

Jade Empire perhaps? Combat system in it isn't the most detailed, it's a Bioware RPG first and a brawler second, but it should be alright for a playthrough. Game works on a three stat system: unarmed combat (with different combat styles), armed combat (there are various weapons but IIRC they didn't vary much in application) and Chi combat (your typical spellcasting, also unarmed combat in shapeshifter form if you fancy that). Different enemies are immune or susceptible to different forms of combat so you need to vary your approach a bit but you can specialize heavily. My only playthrough was with a weapons user, but you should be able double spec yourself as a Chi/unarmed guy, or just go full Chi and make do with ranged casting and/or shapeshifting melee.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 22, 2015, 01:38:08 pm »

Jade Empire perhaps? Combat system in it isn't the most detailed, it's a Bioware RPG first and a brawler second, but it should be alright for a playthrough. Game works on a three stat system: unarmed combat (with different combat styles), armed combat (there are various weapons but IIRC they didn't vary much in application) and Chi combat (your typical spellcasting, also unarmed combat in shapeshifter form if you fancy that). Different enemies are immune or susceptible to different forms of combat so you need to vary your approach a bit but you can specialize heavily. My only playthrough was with a weapons user, but you should be able double spec yourself as a Chi/unarmed guy, or just go full Chi and make do with ranged casting and/or shapeshifting melee.

thanks m8
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ak-Sai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 28, 2015, 05:44:58 am »

Could someone recommend me a good mecha game  ?

I've played Mechwarriors 2 and 4, Front mission 3.

Primary interested in building, customization, battle-testing and maybe some storyline as a bonus )

Thanks in advance!
Feed 'em please)

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 179