Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331148 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #795 on: October 23, 2015, 11:11:39 am »

Hmm, void destroyer looks neat. Also realized I've heard good things about Free space 2 but never played, heard there's some wicked mods out there.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 23, 2015, 11:33:15 am »

Descent 1&2.  Not much plot, but they are best played with a joystick.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 23, 2015, 12:05:24 pm »

Ooh, yeah. 

Actually, I always confuse it with Freelancer, can never remember which was which.  I enjoyed them both though, so I just file them in the same part of my brain.

Visit this place:  http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/forum/6-spacescifi-combat-and-simulation-game-discussion/

The main website has links to a bunch of new games and kickstarters.  The other subforums have all sorts of other space games.  The subforum I linked is specifically for cockpit simulator games.  Although I'm not really sure how Starpoint Gemini 2 made it on there...

edit:  there is supposed to be a new Evochron on the way.  Evochron Mercinary is a little dated, but it just got a patch last month.  Worth checking out.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:07:41 pm by puke »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 23, 2015, 12:11:17 pm »

Descent 1&2.  Not much plot, but they are best played with a joystick.

Theres some sort of new procedural generated descent game now... forget the name of it.  also, some sort of high-def descent remake.  Q3 2015 is turning into some sort of crazy descent love fest.

here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327880/

http://descendentstudios.com/

http://www.preparefordescent.com/

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 23, 2015, 02:39:07 pm »

I've been hankering for a game that allows you to act as a necromancer or commander of undead, whether RTS, TBS or even something along the lines of Diablo 2.

Bonus points for being able to use your enemy's deaths to expand your ever growing army, to the point of becoming an undead singularity of sorts.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 23, 2015, 02:55:29 pm »

An obvious choice would be the Undead in Warcraft 3.

Or just fire up Dwarf Fortress, start adventure mode and find a slab.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 23, 2015, 03:35:32 pm »

Universal Broldier in Broforce :)

There is also a fair bit of zombie / skeleton summoning spells in Torchlight 2, as well as skill trees that specialize in buffing those same summons.

Fallen Enchantress is a pretty brilliant MOM style game, has some necromancy.  And here is a mod that expands on it:  http://www.nexusmods.com/fallenenchantress/mods/58/?

edit:  I feel like this came up in another thread, and Arcanum was mentioned.  This is very true, Arcanum has some great necromancer magics.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 23, 2015, 03:39:00 pm »

I've been hankering for a game that allows you to act as a necromancer or commander of undead, whether RTS, TBS or even something along the lines of Diablo 2.

Bonus points for being able to use your enemy's deaths to expand your ever growing army, to the point of becoming an undead singularity of sorts.

I've been watching Nekro, but it is still in Early Access.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #803 on: October 24, 2015, 01:49:34 am »

The undead singularity (in those exact words!) is kind of a perennially wanted game. As things stand I think DF and WC3 are the only ones worth mentioning, but
AlleeCat was working on a game in this style some time ago, which she backburnered a few months ago. I'm half tempted to take a run at it myself starting from December or so...

Edit: oh, Heroes of Might and Magic V's undead faction pulls this off in spectacularly broken fashion. You can build soldiers from your cities as per normal, but you also get a budget of Dark Energy that can be expanded in various ways and used to raise casualties as your own soldiers after victorious battles. It's pretty close.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:40:44 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 27, 2015, 12:52:14 pm »

Path of Exile has necromancer abilities. And it's free.

Dungeon crawl has necromancy.

Also heard good things about Arcanum, as in the devs predicted people would want to turn the entire game's population into undead.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 31, 2015, 05:25:19 am »

Phantasy Caladria - mod for M&B Warband. You can be a necromancer, you can get more soldiers by raising the dead enemies and with bonus you can fight alongside them in real time ;P
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 31, 2015, 05:48:30 am »

battle for wesnoth has a campaign where you slowly turn into a necromancer, the writing is a little cheesy and full of holes but the undead armies here fit the bill (zombies turning kills into zombies etc)

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 31, 2015, 10:47:38 am »

Triangle Wizard? It's somewhere between Nethack and Diablo.
Just go to the mage list and choose necromancer/zombie lord, or if you want to get the bonus points look for the deity that raises corpses into not only undead.
If you are not a necromancer/zombie lord get Animate Dead and/or Recall Spirits into level 30.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 31, 2015, 11:27:29 am »

I've recently been playing an oldie but goodie, Scorched 3D. This game is so good, but I'm wondering if there isn't something with similar gameplay that is a little more modern. There used to be a ton of mods but they are all gone from the website, I could only find the apocalypse mod. It's very good but I'd love more content or something similar. Anyone have any ideas?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 01, 2015, 12:34:41 am »

That isnt what World of Tanks is about?  Or whatever other random block-based minecraft-with-physics-and-robots-and-guns derivative is out next?

I guess none of those are turn based, which is the defining factor for Scorch.  How about Worms?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 179