Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331011 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #615 on: May 29, 2015, 01:02:27 am »

This isn't exactly a request for games, but I'd likely be interested in any games that have this feature.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Are there any games other than Morrowind that have a conversation system like this? I guess you would call it "wiki style". You'd think that by now another game would have used a system like this, maybe even improving it with topic categories and a search function, but I've never seen another game try this. Is there one out there I don't know about?
Shadowrun for SNES has a keyword convo system like Morrowind. Until someone mentions the keyword you don't know to ask about it. Unfortunately, it also clears keywords occasionally for quest reasons because you won't need them anymore, but you can go back and learn them again I think.

The earlier Elder Scrolls games have keyword systems. Daggerfall is pretty buggy depending on the build, but it and Arena are also pretty incredible in terms of the game systems they got into those early games. Arena has destructible walls for example.
I've heard a lot about that Shadowrun game, it looks kind of interesting. And yeah, I remember Daggerfall having a less-complete version of Morrowind's conversation system.

This isn't exactly a request for games, but I'd likely be interested in any games that have this feature.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Are there any games other than Morrowind that have a conversation system like this? I guess you would call it "wiki style". You'd think that by now another game would have used a system like this, maybe even improving it with topic categories and a search function, but I've never seen another game try this. Is there one out there I don't know about?

Albion employs a conversation system like this - keywords and/or topics. It predates Morrowind by seven years, but is awesome as hell. You can even input your own words/topics and ask NPCs about them, but they have to be context sensitive and relevant for you to get a non-generic answer.

If you don't mind older games, Albion is a great RPG. No, seriously, go get it.
Although there isn't a keyword list until the seventh game, the Ultima games post 3 all have keyword based conversations, with 4 to 6 all having you type in keywords manually.

Wizardry 8 has it as well.
How did I forget about Ultima? I'll check out some of the other games mentioned, thanks!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 01, 2015, 04:20:58 pm »

I really want to play a game with card-mechanics. Not necessarily games like MtG, YGO, Hearthstone etc, just something that revolves around cards/collecting cards in some way.

Some games that come to mind are Lost Kingdoms (1 and 2), Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Touhou 12.3

Honestly, I don't have anything too specific in mind, I just want there to be cards. Preferably multiplayer, but w/e.

Not sure, didn't play it, but maybe Hand of fate... it has cards  :)
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 01, 2015, 04:57:00 pm »

One game I considered making (well, starting on, I'm bad about finishing projects) was a card-based roguelike.  Instead of building the perfect deck over time you have to work with what you get and you permanently lose your deck on death.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 01, 2015, 04:59:06 pm »

cross-post:
Thanks Kadzar, i'm still on the fence on whether I really wanna start on a project right now. I have the same gripe with this game as I do with MC about building x10, at least on MC there's a huge community to peddle your skills to. Starmade's community is pretty small and seems to be way more focused on survival rather than building besides a few, dedicated, really awesome builders. Which makes me sad. I would like a game that is essentially EVE-like, or really just focused on missions and PVP, etc. but you have all the shipbuilding tools of Starmade and design your own ships. Nuthin' I hate more than flyin' around in my awesome ship alone, not doing anything in SP.

Anything? I fear that request approaches the fabled failure of a project, 0x10c.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 01, 2015, 08:23:36 pm »

Sounds like Shores of Hazeron, though I haven't played it and have heard it has some major problems.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 01, 2015, 08:49:17 pm »

I need three new games.

1. A Minecraft-like that doesn't lag like shite (eg. Minecraft itself).
2. Something similar to X-Com: Enemy Unknown/Within.
3. Any PlayStation Vita game worth noting. Single-Player preferred. I find myself glancing over a rack of games at the local store only to return uninterested with anything.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 01, 2015, 08:58:06 pm »

For an X-Com clone you might try Xenonauts, or the older game Shadow Watch.  I don't know how close to X-Com you are looking for though.

Also the modern Shadowrun games have combat inspired by X-Com but there is a good deal of plot and RPG elements.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:47:54 pm by Bouchart »

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 01, 2015, 08:59:08 pm »

Invisible Inc is often called "stealth XCOM", and it does have a very similar feel to the tactical component.  The actual mechanics are pretty different, though.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 01, 2015, 09:04:41 pm »

3. Any PlayStation Vita game worth noting. Single-Player preferred. I find myself glancing over a rack of games at the local store only to return uninterested with anything.
Persona 4: Golden. JRPG/Social Simulator/Monster Collector
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 01, 2015, 10:01:24 pm »

Persona 4: Golden. JRPG/Social Simulator/Monster Collector

I should have mentioned which games I had. P4G is something I enjoy, aside from the grindy Disgaeas, which I have both of them on the Vita.

Games on Vita:
P4G
Disgaea 3
Disgaea 4
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
MGS HD collection
DJMax Technica Tune
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #625 on: June 01, 2015, 10:27:44 pm »

P4G
MGS HD collection
Seconded. Disgaea is a grindy grindfest and not my cup of tea but it's not a bad game. Great time waster though.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 06, 2015, 06:22:18 pm »

Just got $20 back from a steam refund, how spend?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 06, 2015, 09:55:58 pm »

I need three new games.

1. A Minecraft-like that doesn't lag like shite (eg. Minecraft itself).

1) Lately I've been enjoying Space Engineers, which is basically Minecraft in space. Early access title (and could really use some more content), though, and if you're having trouble with minecraft I'm not sure how well it would run for you.

2) Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm, Shadowrun Returns

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 07, 2015, 11:24:04 am »

Does anyone know of a single player game with a crafting system system to the Atelier series?
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 07, 2015, 11:36:19 am »

Does anyone know of a single player game with a crafting system system to the Atelier series?

Never played that game but i'd bet on Kingdoms of Amalur.
Basically you break items and "exctact" their components like blades hilts grips ETC and put them back together and infuse with gems to make something stronger.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 179