Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330998 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #600 on: May 26, 2015, 10:48:19 pm »

This isn't exactly a request for games, but I'd likely be interested in any games that have this feature.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Are there any games other than Morrowind that have a conversation system like this? I guess you would call it "wiki style". You'd think that by now another game would have used a system like this, maybe even improving it with topic categories and a search function, but I've never seen another game try this. Is there one out there I don't know about?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 26, 2015, 11:02:20 pm »

How are Sid Meier's Pirates! and Starsector like mount and blade?

Starsector, albeit a horrible game, plays like M&B in the "overworld" portion of the game. You click to move, you can pause with Space, you click on a planet/station to visit it, just like Mount and Blade.

The combat is nothing like M&B, and is pretty horrid. It's basically a gamey arcade game, complete with venting a resource which builds as you fire. Pretty corny. It could be good, but they'll have to go more in the direction of Space Rangers and less of whatever it is they're going for. To be honest, I don't expect the game to live another year.

Pirates is just... ugh. It's a great game. It's a classic. It's also a cartoon, basically. I can't play it for it's lack of realism.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 26, 2015, 11:57:30 pm »

This isn't exactly a request for games, but I'd likely be interested in any games that have this feature.
Are there any games other than Morrowind that have a conversation system like this? I guess you would call it "wiki style". You'd think that by now another game would have used a system like this, maybe even improving it with topic categories and a search function, but I've never seen another game try this. Is there one out there I don't know about?
Shadowrun for SNES has a keyword convo system like Morrowind. Until someone mentions the keyword you don't know to ask about it. Unfortunately, it also clears keywords occasionally for quest reasons because you won't need them anymore, but you can go back and learn them again I think.

The earlier Elder Scrolls games have keyword systems. Daggerfall is pretty buggy depending on the build, but it and Arena are also pretty incredible in terms of the game systems they got into those early games. Arena has destructible walls for example.

Exile: Escape From the Pit (and I guess Avernum, the later revamp might still have it) has a keyword convo system where you type in the keyword, from what I remember. Meaning if you know terms you can ask people early in the game on a replay. From what I remember, the conversation wouldn't highlight terms you could ask about further - you just need to watch out for topics you could ask about. Ignoring common words like "and", "the", etc. Unfortunately, again this is my best recollection, there was no downside to asking about everything. To save time I wish there was some kind of keyword saving system where you could keep say 20 keywords in a saved list and if the NPC would answer anything interesting to them they would be highlighted in your list. Instead you'll find yourself typing the same six words to ask every single NPC because it sometimes coughs up info.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 27, 2015, 01:30:16 am »

The combat is nothing like M&B, and is pretty horrid. It's basically a gamey arcade game

I dunno.  The way you manage shield direction and how you handle facing in the quasi-newtonian flight reminds me lots of M&B mounted combat.

I think the game has lots of potential, and the dev log keeps me optimistic about the upcoming features and ongoing development.

Honestly, I play the combat in strategic mode and let the AI fly for me.  wish I could do the same in M&B, play as more of a commander.   The mods that improve those features seem unwieldy to me.

Simon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 27, 2015, 07:41:20 am »

Albion employs a conversation system like this - keywords and/or topics. It predates Morrowind by seven years, but is awesome as hell. You can even input your own words/topics and ask NPCs about them, but they have to be context sensitive and relevant for you to get a non-generic answer.

If you don't mind older games, Albion is a great RPG. No, seriously, go get it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 27, 2015, 12:04:57 pm »

So, maybe someone can point me to something that will keep me entertained:

I'm looking for something simulationish, "upgrade-based", money-management, where you start low and upgrade stuff or expand yourself in some form, and a single game could be played for a ridiculous amount of time while remaining fun (so not roguelike where restarting is common, while I love that, it is not what I'm looking for at the moment).

That sounds a lot like most of 4x games

Possibly Evil Genius as well
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 27, 2015, 02:25:08 pm »

Albion employs a conversation system like this - keywords and/or topics. It predates Morrowind by seven years, but is awesome as hell. You can even input your own words/topics and ask NPCs about them, but they have to be context sensitive and relevant for you to get a non-generic answer.

If you don't mind older games, Albion is a great RPG. No, seriously, go get it.
Although there isn't a keyword list until the seventh game, the Ultima games post 3 all have keyword based conversations, with 4 to 6 all having you type in keywords manually.

Wizardry 8 has it as well.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 27, 2015, 08:12:08 pm »

How about a non-computer RPG with character customization (as in, customizing your character's appearance)? I've already played the Mass Effect series, the Elder Scrolls IV and V, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Dragon Quest IX, and Dark Souls 1 and 2.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 28, 2015, 04:05:14 am »

Bllodborne has customization. As you've played Dark Sould, though, you probs know this already.
One wheel short of a wagon

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 28, 2015, 05:23:41 am »

Bllodborne has customization. As you've played Dark Sould, though, you probs know this already.
I've actually recently ordered it. It should arrive Friday. It was supposed to arrive 2 days ago, but some idiot mail carrier decided it was smart to leave the packages outside the building. In the middle of a city. When we have 2 mail rooms. So the obvious happened, but at least I'm getting the replacement for free.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 28, 2015, 09:11:04 am »

How about a non-computer RPG with character customization (as in, customizing your character's appearance)? I've already played the Mass Effect series, the Elder Scrolls IV and V, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Dragon Quest IX, and Dark Souls 1 and 2.
First thing that came to mind was D&D ;P But then I realized you meant consoles.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 28, 2015, 09:39:45 am »

First thing that came to mind was D&D ;P But then I realized you meant consoles.
Ah, that got me too until I read this post. I was thinking, you need a computer to play all of those games. Well, unless you have some ability to read digital data yourself, an understanding of the machine code syntax it's written in, and a lot of paper and time.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 28, 2015, 09:47:55 am »

Ah, that got me too until I read this post. I was thinking, you need a computer to play all of those games. Well, unless you have some ability to read digital data yourself, an understanding of the machine code syntax it's written in, and a lot of paper and time.

Why has nobody had this idea before?
One wheel short of a wagon

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 28, 2015, 02:19:49 pm »

I meant consoles/portables, yes.
Sigtext!

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 28, 2015, 04:15:15 pm »

Why has nobody had this idea before?
I totally remember playing some version of Dukedom from book on ZX Spectrum BASIC with the help of some paper (and deck of cards without faces for RND function).
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 179