Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330970 times)

razor871

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #540 on: May 09, 2015, 07:01:40 am »

Are there any obscure games out there with a Morrowind, Arx Fatalis kind of feel? Recommend me a game!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 09, 2015, 07:07:08 am »

You can try Might & Magic 6-8 if havent played them already. They have a morrowind feeling about them.
Of course they are anything but obscure.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 09, 2015, 07:28:25 am »

Capitalism 2 might work for you, it has a large production tree with a lot of steps to make some of the products, the factory design isn't nearly as in depth as in Factorio, but it's still a lot of fun.

I suggest Capitalism Plus over Capitalism 2.  Granted, they're very similar games, so either should do.
Any particular reason? I've played more of 2 than Plus, and as far as I can tell there's not any particular reason not to.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 09, 2015, 07:52:38 am »

Any interesting games invovling proc generation out there, preferably online? Don't suggest DF, please.
One wheel short of a wagon

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 09, 2015, 07:56:58 am »

Are there any obscure games out there with a Morrowind, Arx Fatalis kind of feel? Recommend me a game!

Two Worlds?

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 09, 2015, 08:14:01 am »

Any interesting games invovling proc generation out there, preferably online? Don't suggest DF, please.
Cogmind is coming out on a mostly feature-complete early access later this month, and looks very good.   It's a roguelike with some unique mechanics, including of course procedural generation, and the second-prettiest ASCII art in any game I've seen.  An old, old prototype is available here.

Invisible Inc is a tactical espionage game, sort of like XCOM but with (in general) stealthy infiltration rather than aggressive shooting.  It releases in a few days, but the full version was given out a few days ago to Early Access backers, and I can confirm that it's great, one of the tensest and most immersive strategy games I've run into.  It uses procedurally generated levels.

Ultima Ratio Regum is a very cool, though last time I checked not yet so fun to play, free roguelike in development; it generates everything, from maps to cultures, languages, characters, history, even ASCII art (which is still the first-prettiest I've seen).  I don't really follow it, but it's a neat project.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 09, 2015, 10:22:23 am »

Look quite nice. Very dwarfy.
One wheel short of a wagon

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 10, 2015, 02:55:31 pm »

Any recommendations for modern takes on the old SNES era action-JRPG? Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3, Secret of Evermore, etc. If I had to break down the qualities: story driven, top-down (possibly isometric), combat being comparatively simple and not tactical. Preferably more light-hearted/bright world and design versus crapsack. The story itself doesn't need to be cheerful, but the setting should appear so.

I remember hearing about CrossCode recently, which is really what re-kindled the interest. But I'm not sure how much the style has survived. The Bioware games and descendents fall into a similar genre, but with combat trending toward complex/tactical, and the settings darker.

There might be a lot more examples of those games from the SNES/early PS era that I'm not familiar with, so feel free to suggest some of those too, provided they have English translations.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 10, 2015, 08:43:50 pm »

Brave Fencer Musashi for PS1 might be worth a look.  It's also by Square.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 17, 2015, 04:01:12 pm »

GF and I played DDO, and want to try other games that she might like. Looking for MMO or local multiplayer PC games with a mix of fighting and puzzle solving. She liked playing Zelda: Link to the Past back in the day, and we appreciate the traps and secrets in DDO quests. She hasn't played Thief, System Shock, or Deus Ex, but the finding of hidden loot and multiple paths in those are a good indication of what I'd like to see.

Anyway. Please recommend an MMORPG with puzzle/secret elements.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 17, 2015, 07:39:24 pm »

You might try Egoboo. It's a zeldaish roguelike without permadeath.

Kinda hard to explain and the game is horribly outdated by now (Suprisingly still in development tho!) but you might give it a try.
And keep in mind that most youtube footage is terribly outdated by now.
Self promotion below.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 17, 2015, 08:03:30 pm »

I feel like playing a game where you are under threat from an overwhelmingly powerful force, and you have to avoid being destroyed by it long enough to deal with it. Yes, I have already played AI War: fleet command.

Any ideas?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 17, 2015, 09:38:08 pm »

I feel like playing a game where you are under threat from an overwhelmingly powerful force, and you have to avoid being destroyed by it long enough to deal with it. Yes, I have already played AI War: fleet command.

Any ideas?

Get Europa Universalis 3 and play as Trebizond.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 17, 2015, 10:20:24 pm »

Any ideas?

Get Europa Universalis 3 and play as Trebizond.

Have you seen my steam profile?  :P

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 18, 2015, 05:11:21 am »

Well you can try depths of peril with enemy levels set to 10 or so levels above you so you have to be nice and diplomatic by sending gifts and all untill you have a realistic chance at beating them.

Similar things apply to all soldak games however upto and including Drox Operative.
Self promotion below.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 179