Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330873 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #360 on: January 11, 2015, 04:16:28 pm »

"Lemmings" uses just the mouse from my memory, scrolling the map may be a bit slow though but I don't rightly know.

"Alone in the Dark" on the other hand uses tank controls for movement and has a few jumping puzzles. It might be possible to play if you can map all the keys over to one side, there doesn't seem to be that many buttons.

Edit:
Thinking of other games, "Lands of Lore" could be played with just the mouse if you don't mind using the directional arrows on the window. Fiddly if the screens too small. I think Ultima 7 can be played with just a mouse, but again your getting into dealing with small items in crowded inventory management.

I think "Simon the Sorcerer" had a tablet re-release at some time. Searching on Google brings it up on Google Play for about $5.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 04:23:55 pm by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Plagueman

• Escaped Lunatic
  • intoxicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 11, 2015, 04:37:57 pm »

A roleplay mandatory multiplayer game.
Played: SS13, a bunch of MUD's.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 11, 2015, 05:11:21 pm »

Might and Magic 3 and Might and Magic 4 & 5 are playable with only mouse.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 14, 2015, 07:21:02 am »

Okay suggest me some older/new games i can download and play without internet connection.
Going on vacation for 2 weeks so got plenty of time to spend somehow :)
And lastly something that runs with win7 and 8 prefered.
Genre does not matter really. 2 player games would kickass though.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 14, 2015, 07:56:56 am »

2 player on one pc, or local lan?

Frozen Synapse is good simultanious turn tactics, good for 2. 

Really depends on what you like... Space Empires 4 could do multiplayer hotseat, but I think most modern civ like games need a network.

Dosbox okay?  I love me some retro games when traveling.  Syndicate.  Dune 2. Whatever oldies you like. 

I'm drawing a blank on hotseat games though.  Robosports was hotseat, but was a windows program so dosbox is unlikely to run it.

Maybe delve a bit through abandonia.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 23, 2015, 01:47:05 pm »

A turn-based tactical game (squad based, if possible), multiplayer, with some sort of persistence or campaign mode.
blood bowl perhaps?

age of wonders? technically AoW is skirmishes but each 'skirmish' is really a mini-campaign where you expand on an overworld map, build troops, and use those troops to fight a number of tactical turn-based battles

Blood Bowl might be ideal, might have to check that out.

I thought AoW was a 4x, basically spun off from Age of Empires but with a fantasy theme?  I admit, I never played it despite its rave reviews.  Mainly because it came out right after AoE and I thought that AoE was an over-hyped warcraft clone, and I expected this to be more of the same.

I'm actually a little surprised to open up the wiki article about it and discover that it is turn based and favorably compared to MoM.  Still -- isnt it more 4X and less tactical?

AoE a warcraft clone? Not really. The original Warcraft pretty much sucked balls and was a rip off of Dune 2, which created the genre. For Warcraft 1, the only reason to ever play it was because there weren't many games in the genre yet to pick from, it's not really a good game at all. My first reaction on seeing Warcraft, when it was new and shiny was a "meh" Dune 2 ripoff but with humans vs orcs. It was very underwhelming. Later I saw AoE when it came out, now at the time that was the most advanced RTS ever released, both in graphics and gameplay. That one did actually blow me away by how fluid and immersive everything was, and it allows free-form play, with randomly generated maps. Is there anything like that in a previous RTS?

AoE was influenced by Westwood's RTS games and Sid Meier's Civilization. Sure there are similar resources to Warcraft, but with historical vs medieval fantasy you really do need basic things like wood, stone, iron, etc, and virtually every historical strategy game has these in some fashion (e.g. Settlers). I don't think it was overhyped. It raised the bar for graphics, gameplay options - the first RTS with 8 player random skirmish map, detailed and well thought out campaigns - also unlike Warcraft you can have more than two factions fighting one one map, number of units, and user interface, all by a huge margin over the RTS's that existed prior to 1997. Try playing the "beloved" Warcraft 1 and tell me that AoE just stole everything.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:03:42 pm by Reelya »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 23, 2015, 04:58:08 pm »

The original Warcraft pretty much sucked balls and was a rip off of Dune 2, which created the genre.

What are you on about, man?  The menu on Warcraft was on the totally opposite side of the screen from the menu in Dune 2.  Completely different experience.  That basically made it a re-invention of the genre.  Might as well have been all-new, as you could see what was happening on the RIGHT side of the screen. 

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 23, 2015, 06:05:37 pm »

The original Warcraft pretty much sucked balls and was a rip off of Dune 2, which created the genre.

What are you on about, man?  The menu on Warcraft was on the totally opposite side of the screen from the menu in Dune 2.  Completely different experience.  That basically made it a re-invention of the genre.  Might as well have been all-new, as you could see what was happening on the RIGHT side of the screen.

Also it had Orcs. And Humans. Which I believe was also its sub-title. And I mean, if Orcs and Humans fighting each other isn't original I don't know what is.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 24, 2015, 11:30:18 pm »

I want something that recreates the "oh crap" nature of this but with more survival elements. Space Engineers would be pretty much perfect if your survival didn't depend on generic "energy" that can be refilled by sitting in any chair you come across and there were enemies.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 25, 2015, 02:26:18 am »

Could anyone point me towards surreal games, or ones with really weird settings, preferably free ones.? Examples of what I'm looking for would be things like Antichamber, OFF, or Against the Wall (Though hopefully a little more finished than Against the Wall :P).

I want something that recreates the "oh crap" nature of this but with more survival elements. Space Engineers would be pretty much perfect if your survival didn't depend on generic "energy" that can be refilled by sitting in any chair you come across and there were enemies.
By the way, I'm not sure, but I think Space Engineers has mods for just that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:27:57 am by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 25, 2015, 03:50:06 am »

I've heard good things about Middens.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 25, 2015, 08:33:43 am »

Could anyone point me towards surreal games, or ones with really weird settings, preferably free ones.? Examples of what I'm looking for would be things like Antichamber, OFF, or Against the Wall (Though hopefully a little more finished than Against the Wall :P).
Galshell is basically "HR Giger: The Shmup".  The website is in Japanese, and the game is too, but it doesn't really affect gameplay.  Current download is here, not the one on the developer's site; the game is free but at some point they changed the download link without updating the website.

The older Bay12 games tend to be pretty weird too; I recommend Corin's Mystery Massacre as one that's fun but also surreal and confusing.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:19:27 am by Draxis »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 25, 2015, 08:44:51 am »

I think The Unfinished Swan could be interesting to you flameboy. Also The Stanley Parable, if you haven't played it or heard anything about it beforehand, just play it, don't read up on it or anything. Trust me on this one, this is an expirience unlike many and so much better if you go into it without any prior knowledge of it.

Anyways. I've been playing some WC3 custom maps recently, pretty hard nostalgia trips tbh. And I've started wondering, is there anything like the Castle Fight map?
It's basically two teams in opposing castles, picking from a selection of races and then building stuff that spawns various units that go out and try and kill the enemy castle. You can't control any of the units so most of the play comes down to picking which of the two lanes do you attack down and trying to anticipate what the other team will send by building stuff that spawns counters (using the WC3's armor and attack system for this, works quite nicely for the most part) and building some buildings that don't spawn units but have various abilities like buffing allies or crippling enemies.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 25, 2015, 09:55:42 am »

Castle Fight map?

Oh yeah, hardcore nostalgia for me. Vampirism Fire, Parasyte, Civilization Wars, millions of DOTA clones, those were the times. But yeah I don't think there are games quite with it (maybe some flash ones). But there is Starcraft 2 custom map with the same things, just in newer engine.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 25, 2015, 02:55:26 pm »

A roleplay mandatory multiplayer game.
Played: SS13, a bunch of MUD's.

^ This.

I'm also craving a decent tycoon/management simulation, and an RPG with choices that matter (played the mainstream suggestions, think outside the box!).
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 179