Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330860 times)

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2015, 02:11:23 pm »

Are there any good sandbox/crafting/building games out there with a good amount of content? I've recently had a desire to play something either similar to Minecraft FTB mod pack or Terraria, where there is more to do than something like vanilla minecraft.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 10, 2015, 02:18:58 pm »

A turn-based tactical game (squad based, if possible), multiplayer, with some sort of persistence or campaign mode.
blood bowl perhaps?

age of wonders? technically AoW is skirmishes but each 'skirmish' is really a mini-campaign where you expand on an overworld map, build troops, and use those troops to fight a number of tactical turn-based battles

Schaep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 10, 2015, 04:19:34 pm »

Are there any good sandbox/crafting/building games out there with a good amount of content? I've recently had a desire to play something either similar to Minecraft FTB mod pack or Terraria, where there is more to do than something like vanilla minecraft.

Factorio has a similar appeal, mostly focused around production chains.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 10, 2015, 04:30:59 pm »

A turn-based tactical game (squad based, if possible), multiplayer, with some sort of persistence or campaign mode.
blood bowl perhaps?

age of wonders? technically AoW is skirmishes but each 'skirmish' is really a mini-campaign where you expand on an overworld map, build troops, and use those troops to fight a number of tactical turn-based battles

Blood Bowl might be ideal, might have to check that out.

I thought AoW was a 4x, basically spun off from Age of Empires but with a fantasy theme?  I admit, I never played it despite its rave reviews.  Mainly because it came out right after AoE and I thought that AoE was an over-hyped warcraft clone, and I expected this to be more of the same.

I'm actually a little surprised to open up the wiki article about it and discover that it is turn based and favorably compared to MoM.  Still -- isnt it more 4X and less tactical?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 10, 2015, 04:36:16 pm »

Is HoMM 4x?

First AoW was fairly similar to that series, the latter instalments are a touch more 4x-like, but they're still heavy on the turn-based combat and light on empire building. Heck, half the negative reviews for that series come from people who expected it to play like Civ.

It's certainly not squad tactics ala Jagged Alliance/Silent Storm, but I'd argue that turn-based tactics is where meat of the AoW series is, as opposed to the turn-based strategy portion.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 10, 2015, 04:47:11 pm »

Is HoMM 4x?

Yeah, good question.  You're moving armies on an overland map, harvest resources, and construct things.  Battles zoom in like in Archon (or Imperialism 1, or Total War, or...)  It plays a bit like MoM, but does not really fit into a category.

The zoomed in battles are certainly tactical, so if AoW plays like that then it definitly has a tactical /component/.  But I'd say that the bulk of the HoMM games is some sort of strategic RPG hybrid.

It sounds like the AoW games are ones that I should play...

But what I am looking for is something I can throw down a 30-60 minute skirmish with a friend, and then come back to the next week with maybe some continuity based on who won or how many casualties they took.  And I think that AoW sounds like it probably has a little too much just-one-more-turn stuff happening on the campaign map?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 10, 2015, 07:36:23 pm »

But what I am looking for is something I can throw down a 30-60 minute skirmish with a friend, and then come back to the next week with maybe some continuity based on who won or how many casualties they took.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend AoW based on that unfortunately.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 11, 2015, 04:28:52 am »

A couple f2p titles you might want to look at: Dogs of War Online and March of War.  They both involve buying units to build your persistent army, then taking those units to fight turn based tactical battles against other players, gaining xp and/or money to buy more units or upgrade existing ones.  In persistence terms, Dogs of War focuses a bit more on the individual units (xp upgrades apply to individual units separately, and I think they can get permanent injuries) whereas March of War has more of a tech tree approach (e.g. unlock an upgrade for all flame tanks).

Disclaimers though: I don't think either of them are particularly great games (both seem to have mixed reviews and struggle to retain players), I'm not sure how much functionality they have for playing with friends as opposed to random matchmaker, and I'm not sure what their f2p model currently looks like.   But the basic description matches so might be worth a look, at least until you find something better.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 11, 2015, 05:01:17 am »

I was wondering if any suggestions like that would come up.  I've been filtering out - which is to say that I just instinctually ignore - any F2P games.

But I always had a sneaking suspicion that F2P was such a successful model that there might actually be some good games published that way.

I'll take a look at those.  Do you know if you can choose your opponents (play with your buddies) or if you just get thrown into a general matchmaker?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 11, 2015, 05:12:22 am »

March of War lets you do co-op matches with a friend, but I don't know if you can pick your opponent for pvp matches (the site's faq suggests you can invite players for "custom games" but I'm unsure what that entails).  Dogs of War I think lets you challenge people on your friends list, but I don't know how that ties in with overall progression (i.e. whether you can do that exclusively).

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 11, 2015, 01:05:36 pm »

I put dosbox on my tablet, and was looking around for games that would work well with touchscreen, I settled on Eye of the Beholder, so I'm playing through the three of those. Enjoying it a lot more than many made for Android games that are out there.

Anyone got any other suggestions for old dos games that will work well with mouse/touch?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 11, 2015, 01:27:20 pm »

There is a good Android port of King of Dragon Pass.  with some updated graphics, but basically it is exactly the same game.

I also enjoyed playing the Genesis version of Shadowrun on an emulator on Android.

Got Krateka on a humble bundle... they did a pretty good job porting that.

If you're looking at any dos game that runs on DOSBOX, I might suggest Armor Alley.  Simple, fun.

The original Syndicate is one that I keep on tap, but not sure how that would play on a touch screen.  Maybe not too well, always had pathing issues and you might have problems controlling the drug levels.

Since you mentioned Eye of the Beholder, I'd say *any* of the gold box games.  Pool of Radiance series is great.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 11, 2015, 01:30:51 pm »

I tried Pool of Rad first, but I had completely forgotten that the 1st game is keyboard only: no mouse control. Eye works really smoothly except for one thing: left click picks up your weapons and right click is attack. This makes battles really fiddly since I have to double tap each weapon and if I'm not fast enough I disarm my characters. I wish that they'd designed it the other way around.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:33:49 pm by Reelya »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 11, 2015, 02:40:23 pm »

Yeah... you'd have the same troubles with ultima underworld.  Too much keyboard input required.  This is a problem for most DOS games. 

I have not tried the latest dosbox for droid, does it let you map some keys to transparent overlays or anything?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 11, 2015, 02:54:19 pm »

Found this list.  Not all of them are DOS games, but those that are should fit your criteria: 

http://www.gog.com/mix/best_played_with_mouse_in_one_hand_beer_in_the_other

:)

And how about the Lemmings games?  I'm pretty sure you could do everything in those with point-and-click.

Given that they have BaSS on the GOG list, I'd also suppose you could play any SCUMM-VM game.  You can even get a native SCUMM virtual machine for Android, so you don't need to run DOSBOX.  Should be able to play anything from LOOM to Full Throttle to the titular Maniac Mansion (what the MM in SCUMM stands for, after all).

One more that jumps to mind, I seem to remember the original Alone in the Dark being mouse only.  Could have that wrong, though...  It couldn't have used more than like 3 keys for things like Inventory, Drawing Weapon (though I think this was done through the Inventory), and extinguishing your light source (again, I think this was done through Inventory). 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:00:57 pm by puke »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 179