Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330840 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2014, 12:23:10 pm »

Ok hede i come with my question... do any of you people know a game that lets the player control a carrier or something similar?

Just drifting from island to island (or planet to planet) sending aircraft out to scout or attack/defend.

The closest things to it i know is X3 the AI there constantly drove the fighters into larger ships and Battlecruiser Milenium.

Try Litcube's Bounce. (X3 mod)

Though it invalidates your game, it does prevent your little buggers from dying via collision on capital ships. It has a rather complicated install method, but I think it comes with basic premade templates for easy installation.

Doesn't make ships fly away from obstacles though. They'll do a complete 180 and bounce off.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2014, 12:24:22 pm »

Homeworld , Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 are RTS based on a carrier system that serves as your mobile main production factory and main base

Starshatter is a spacesim that can get you promoted enough into carrier ops, the game is free

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2014, 02:47:19 am »

Ok so...:

I remember playing UA and it was a fun game altho not really what i'm looking for since i'm thinking more of a game where you fly around in a big ship and tend to fighter craft that do the fighting while in UA the mothership is more of a giant base/factory that does nothing aside of spitting out more and more units.

I'd try Carrier command but i didn't top up my paypal/steam and the promotion will be oved before my transfer gets validated... will add it to my wishlist tho.

I'll try Litcubes bounce mod when i get the sheer power of will to mess with installing X3TC along with the piles of mods i consider necessary because crashing fighters aside i think it was pretty much perfect.

Homewold and deriviatives are more or elss the same as UA. You have a immobile base/factory spewing out units and thats the end of your interraction with them... might take a look at starshatter tho.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 30, 2014, 11:15:04 pm »

Ah, so I've had a very specific urge lately. What I want to play is something like a 2-D version of the old Privateer games, except turn-based. In short, I'd love something like Pardus except single-player with unlimited turns and perhaps some sort of arching plot I could participate in in the background (or not). I haven't found anything close... but it's not my usual genre so I don't even know where to look.

Please send help?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 30, 2014, 11:27:18 pm »

Space Rangers perhaps?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2014, 12:11:42 am »

Naev?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2014, 12:34:04 am »

Well, someone mentioned Star Control 2 and Space Rangers in the same sentence... so I have to try it now. Naev is free and a smaller download, so I'm trying it first. They both look good, thanks for the recommendations.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2014, 04:20:23 am »

Well, someone mentioned Star Control 2 and Space Rangers in the same sentence... so I have to try it now. Naev is free and a smaller download, so I'm trying it first. They both look good, thanks for the recommendations.

Flatspace might scrasth the itch since it's literally a 2D elite.. altho a little bit downgraded. Worth trying the demo tho.
Then there's Starsector and Void Expanse... none of them are anywhere near complete (altho Starsector is clorer imo) but are worth a watch anyway.

Of if you have aloth of money to burn you can go nuts and buy Distant worlds completely automatize your empire and just take one ship for your personal use.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 31, 2014, 07:14:10 am »

Is Flatspace free?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 31, 2014, 07:44:40 am »

This reminds me that I've been meaning to check out Starpoint Gemini 2.

Naev is basically Escape Velocity, but not totally finished.  Plenty of faction combat, and lots of scripted missions. There are shipping missions,  but no real economy for trading unless you compile the latest build yourself.

That said, it's enormously fun until you've finished the various mission chains and fully upgraded a few ships.  Which can take a good while.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 31, 2014, 08:48:38 am »

Would anyone be willing to suggest some Squad Based Tactics games? (Any games like X-Com, Silent Storm, or Jagged Alliance.)
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 31, 2014, 09:55:48 am »

Would anyone be willing to suggest some Squad Based Tactics games? (Any games like X-Com, Silent Storm, or Jagged Alliance.)

Any Final Fantasy Tactics-alike. Fallout: Tactics was pretty great if you can avoid getting into the canonicity tantrums that some fans try and spread.

Further away there's Bionic Dues, where you technically have 4 squaddies but they all occupy the same tile and you can only control one at a time... but it still requires a lot of teamwork and knowing when you can switch members to get the most out of the game.

Battle for Wesnoth is closer to turn-based strategy but some campaigns focus around smaller squads. There's not much to the resource side of things and most of the engagements tend to be smaller, skirmish-style fights, from what I remember.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 31, 2014, 11:13:29 am »

• UFO afterlight / aftershock / afterbirth series. 
  • the new xcom. 
  • the new shadowrun returns RPG has significant squad combat elements.
  • CLOSE COMBAT series is a super detailed grognard game.  They were aiming to remake ASL as a computer game.  More platoon level than squad, but really great.
  • Comandos series
  • Chaos Gate (40K squad game, by SSI.  Awesome.)
  • any of the Dawn of War games
  • Mission Force: Cyberstorm (mechas, but squads of them and a career arc)
  • Gorky 17
  • Laser Squad
  • there was some super hero squad tactics game, maybe from the 90s or early 2k's.  was a sleeper, but the people that played it raved about it.  I forget the name.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2014, 11:40:56 am »

That's a tough one. In terms of quality games it is unfortunately a rather lacking genre, and you have already named the big ones.

-You have tried the 1.13 mod for JA2 already right?
-The Combat Mission series from Battlefront is neat. You can find the first game on GOG if you can accept with the abysmal graphics. Beyond that you will have to buy straight from Battlefront i.e. that wonderful company that still charges $30 for 10 year old games and then will charge you 5 bucks for a Win Vista/7 compatability patch on top of that and then oh yeah you have to use our shitty activation DRM too.
-There's a game called Incubation that may interest you. It's available on GOG in a larger series pack of games called Battle Isle, which I have never played.
-If you are willing to delve into some really old stuff look into Julian Gollop's (creator of XCOM) older games like Laser Squad
-There is the Commandos series and its clones, but whether they qualify as 'Tactics' games is debatable...
-As a last resort you could try Fallout Tactics. Not very good IMO.
-Xenonauts is a very cool looking XCOM successor that is getting pretty close to release. I personally haven't tried it yet, but you may want to look into it.

there was some super hero squad tactics game, maybe from the 90s or early 2k's.  was a sleeper, but the people that played it raved about it.  I forget the name.
Freedom Force and its sequel Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 12:03:27 pm by TripJack »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 179