Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330740 times)

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2014, 12:52:05 pm »

I'm looking for a complex RPG or Rougelike. The harder to master the better.

My current favorite games are Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode, Elona and Incursion:Halls of the Goblin King.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2014, 12:57:30 pm »

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup? Caves of Qud?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2014, 01:03:43 pm »

You might like Bionic Dues, which is currently on sale on steam.  You control and customize 4 robots which you must use to beat back the robot rebellion, and its controlled in a roguelike manner.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2014, 01:04:13 pm »

Cogmind?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2014, 01:20:38 pm »

Yeah, I was talking the non-MMO NWN.
I'm sorry for perpetuating any confusion, but I knew what you meant: I played NWN1 and enjoyed the online play on player-servers too. I tried to get into NWN2 but by then I was spoiled: the control scheme felt so clunky and slow to respond, and the camera was not very good. My ideal would actually be a simple click-to-attack with simple combos (like jump + attack is upward attack, jump + attack on the falldown is a heavy landing attack, etc. but not something like "hit WDDW in time with the flashing icon" type of QTE combo).

To add further complexity, there was an online Neverwinter Nights back in the day that had graphics similar to the old Gold Box games. There are also a few other games that include Neverwinter in the title.

How do we get no games in Unther, Chessenta, the Sea of Fallen Stars, Thay, the Moonshaes, or Chult - yet so many on the Sword Coast? 3 Eye of the Beholders, Descent to Undermountain, 4 Baldur's Gates, 4 Neverwinters, and 8 expansion packs.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2014, 01:29:12 pm »

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup? Caves of Qud?
about 20 victories on the first one.
Has the second one gained more content since june last year? The "you have reached the end of the quest chain" message got annoying.

You might like Bionic Dues, which is currently on sale on steam.  You control and customize 4 robots which you must use to beat back the robot rebellion, and its controlled in a roguelike manner.

looking for actual gameplay footage now. At the very least i have found a new youtube channel to watch.
also: for some reason the google chrome spellchecker insists on calling it a rougelike ... roguelike is better, though.
edit: installing now.

How do we get no games in Unther, Chessenta, the Sea of Fallen Stars, Thay, the Moonshaes, or Chult - yet so many on the Sword Coast? 3 Eye of the Beholders, Descent to Undermountain, 4 Baldur's Gates, 4 Neverwinters, and 8 expansion packs.
at least there's one in the Planescape setting :P

((the buttons on the post reply page have stopped working for me ... maybe it's time to reinstall chrome...))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:54:28 pm by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2014, 02:37:37 pm »

I'm looking for a RPG with some level of hero recruiting and city building/base expansion component - similar to the Suikoden or Dark Cloud series I guess. Any platform, no Dwarf Fortress suggestions! ;)

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2014, 02:56:22 pm »

Can someone reccomend me a free shooter game? It can be third or first person but shouldn't be too graphically demanding (Also no Planetside 2 or Ghost Recon). It doesn't have to be fast-paced but it should be enjoyable. Sorry if this is a bit vague.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2014, 03:24:35 pm »

Can someone reccomend me a free shooter game? It can be third or first person but shouldn't be too graphically demanding (Also no Planetside 2 or Ghost Recon). It doesn't have to be fast-paced but it should be enjoyable. Sorry if this is a bit vague.

Battlefield Heroes is fun for a while.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2014, 03:28:11 pm »

Have you tried TF2? I've sunk many hours into it. Free to play, great fun, no pay to win.

I'm looking for a RPG with some level of hero recruiting and city building/base expansion component - similar to the Suikoden or Dark Cloud series I guess. Any platform, no Dwarf Fortress suggestions! ;)

Have you tried some of these tactical RPGs?
Mount & Blade: warband
Jagged Alliance 2
valkyria chronicles

Or are you looking for more city management?
Perhaps the Majesty series?

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2014, 03:34:46 pm »

Have you tried TF2? I've sunk many hours into it. Free to play, great fun, no pay to win.

I have tried TF2 (and do like it), but I'm looking for something with a bit less rigidly defined classes.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2014, 03:46:14 pm »

I'm looking for a complex RPG or Rougelike. The harder to master the better.

My current favorite games are Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode, Elona and Incursion:Halls of the Goblin King.

Nethack, ADOM, Gearhead.  First two are fantasy hack and slash, Gearhead involved giant robots.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2014, 04:46:20 pm »

Gearhead is certainly obtuse at times. Fun and unique though.
I'm not too sure about NetHack. I wouldn't call it "hard to master" if you want to win it. It's certainly so if you're playing casually but it's so heavy on the spoilers that once you spoil those it gets a lot easier pull a win. I've only played 3.4.3 though, I don't know how SLASH'EM & co. shuffled the deck.

When's the last time you played DCSS? Are you aware about the recent dungeon revamp? If those 20 victories are a year or two older, there might be more to the game than you remember.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2014, 05:59:51 pm »

Looking for a game to test out the muscles on my new rig... It has a GTX 780...

Also looking for 'open world simulators' like Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead or Dwarf Fortress.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2014, 06:11:40 pm »

Looking for a game to test out the muscles on my new rig... It has a GTX 780...

Far Cry Blood Dragon.  Its short, but amazing and runs like crap on my computer so it should run better on yours.   :P  (its got Uplay DRM though, if that is a dealbreaker)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 179