Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330712 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2013, 11:45:00 am »

Can anyone recommend me a good Settlers-style game other than Knights & Merchants, Stronghold and DF?

"Cultures" 1 and 2 are like a cross of "Settlers 3-4" and DF where you have to lead a clan of vikings to prosperity.
There's also "Alien Nations" worth checking out.

And if you want to check out some real antiques then somewhere deep in the internet you might find "Enemy Nations" (a cross of C&C and Settlers if you can believe it AND the game that made me realize why people bash their heads over oil so much).

The series (I forget the specific name, City Building Sims?) including Caesar III, Pharaoh, Zeus and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom are a good bunch of simulators.

They're more focused on resource management, infrastructure (fire and crime control), employment and trade then The Settlers with combat involving moving flags around to tell squads where to go, but they have the same supply and demand mechanics that the Settlers have.

They're quite hard. Well... Caesar III is the hardest to me with the series letting up a bit as it goes along. I haven't actually played Emperor since it's not on Good Old Games.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2013, 01:39:47 pm »

That series of games was simply called the City Building Series.  Checked my Caesar 3 CD.

The Tropico series might also be of interest.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2013, 03:31:59 pm »

I want a game that appeals to my inner pyromaniac. Something with gorgeous, realistic fire physics and animations. A firefighting RPG/puzzle game would be ideal, but anything with lots of pretty fire would be excellent.
Have you tried little inferno?
The 2d graphics and cartoon style didn't do it for me. But yes, that seems to be the only game about burning things on the market right now.

Far Cry 2 and 3, while it's not the focus of gameplay it has some pretty awesome fire effects and mechanics.

Also, a Sci-Fi RTS, possibly space based or something. Keep in mind I've played the Homeworlds, the SoaSE'ss, the Perimeters, the 40k's, the Universe at Wars, and pretty much most of the known ones.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2013, 03:42:42 pm »

Also, a Sci-Fi RTS, possibly space based or something. Keep in mind I've played the Homeworlds, the SoaSE'ss, the Perimeters, the 40k's, the Universe at Wars, and pretty much most of the known ones.

Starcraft? :P

But more seriously, a planetbound sci-fi rts of finest quality: Battlezone.
You build your base, workers, units and gather resources like in any rts. While fighting the ruskies in your first person hovertank! It works a lot better than it sounds. It even got a sequel but I never tried it. But as I said, it's not in space. Just various planets of Sol. I can't even remember if planets were palette swaps or actually had differing gravities. Io was full of spacetank exploding lava, at least.

Also it's late 90s if that's an issue.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2013, 03:51:35 pm »

Outpost 2.  It's a sci-fi RTS but with more emphasis on base building than combat.  Highly under appreciated game right there.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2013, 03:53:23 pm »

Most of the Spring Engine games qualify; they are mostly TA-style science-fiction games.  I reccomend Zero-K, for a more fast and active game, or NOTA, for a much slower, larger-scale game more similar to Supreme Commander.  No Spring games are currently in space, but there is one abandoned mod which was in space.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2013, 03:57:15 pm »

Outpost 2.  It's a sci-fi RTS but with more emphasis on base building than combat.  Highly under appreciated game right there.

I've been meaning to try Outpost 2, but it isn't on GOG. Do you know of any available digital copies, or is it abandonware?

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2013, 04:05:28 pm »

It's actually available free, and I'm pretty sure even legally, here.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2013, 04:13:30 pm »

Awesome, I'll have to try it later.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2013, 04:34:01 pm »

It's more 4X than RTS, but Distant Worlds is amazing.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Yannanth

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2013, 06:36:50 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:30:02 pm by Yannanth »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2013, 08:38:41 pm »

I remember stumbling upon outpost a few years back when I got carried away with Underdog and similar sites, didn't last long since the game crashed after a few minutes every time, not sure if it will work now. Thanks for the suggestion, also the Spring stuff seems very interesting, gonna have to try that out.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2013, 09:05:02 pm »

Recommend fighting games that are good with friends. Any console goes! Try to not be too obvious. My experience (over 50 hours each) is mostly with Soul Calibur III and Tekken 2 but I've played many fighting games over the years.

Just two criteria:
  • Doesn't have bulls**t juggles or combos (e.g. when your opponent takes half your health off and you can't react because you're in mid-air) like Tekken.
  • Not too slow, like Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution. Which would be my favourite fighting game as it's so meticulously well-made, but it's just a drag. It could be the fact I'm in the PAL region that's causing this, though.

You could try Little Fighter 2 if you want something simple and free (it's for the PC by the way).
In SP it's just a brawler but has MANY settings to play with and can be even made into a full blown battle with tens of characters beating each other on the screen at once.

The characters have combos that are easy to memorize (and usually about 4 skills that can often be linked with each other to form combos).

It's pretty neat for a free game... as long as you can get over the chibi anime characters.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2013, 09:25:07 pm »

I remember stumbling upon outpost a few years back when I got carried away with Underdog and similar sites, didn't last long since the game crashed after a few minutes every time, not sure if it will work now. Thanks for the suggestion, also the Spring stuff seems very interesting, gonna have to try that out.

Don't confuse Outpost with Outpost 2.  Outpost was a buggy and poor building sim.  Outpost 2 is a high quality RTS.

Yannanth

« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2013, 07:50:12 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:25:24 pm by Yannanth »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 179