Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331141 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #810 on: November 01, 2015, 03:47:55 pm »

I've been hankering for a game that allows you to act as a necromancer or commander of undead, whether RTS, TBS or even something along the lines of Diablo 2.

Bonus points for being able to use your enemy's deaths to expand your ever growing army, to the point of becoming an undead singularity of sorts.

You can do this in Dominions 4, too.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #811 on: November 01, 2015, 04:40:23 pm »

a) I want a game where I can feel like John Wick... slaughtering tons of enemies easily in cool way but still being pretty realistic, maybe thanks to bullet-time or something, possibly having to memorize First person preferred.
b) Army management Simulator in style of, like OpenTTD or Simutrans. Real War has been closest thing I want, but apparently nobody except me played it. Preferrably WW2.

Pretty specific but eh...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 01, 2015, 05:22:43 pm »

a - max payne games.  first person, revenge theme, bullet time.

b - I dont get it.  Like a grand-strategy theater of war game with logistic elements and such?  Like War in Europe or something?  https://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2100

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 01, 2015, 08:28:05 pm »

a) I want a game where I can feel like John Wick... slaughtering tons of enemies easily in cool way but still being pretty realistic, maybe thanks to bullet-time or something, possibly having to memorize First person preferred.

Have you played the Rise of the Triad remake?

Theotian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 01, 2015, 09:07:59 pm »

b) Army management Simulator in style of, like OpenTTD or Simutrans. Real War has been closest thing I want, but apparently nobody except me played it. Preferrably WW2.

Pretty specific but eh...

A hey i know you said realistic ,but when it comes to feeling like a movie character like an agent from the movie RED or another action movie. Payday 2 always gets me in that feel in the higher levels. if not that then the max payne games.

B army management you may like hearts of iron 3. 4 is almost out however.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #815 on: November 02, 2015, 09:28:17 am »

Max Payne games are about jumping into room and shooting people, thought about them too but eh. The Rise Of The Triad is over the top. What I want is murderizing people with semi-auto pistols in creative ways. Kind of like what you can do with Michael in GTA V.
As for Army Management - I don't mean spreadsheet simulator (despite I dig Paradox Games too and am pretty excited for the new HoI), I mean more of an RTS with extensive logistical management, like you have to move the tanks from factories far away, possibly in trains and such, hence the comparsion with OpenTTD and Simutrans. I doubt that a game like that exist tho. As for the War in Europe - thaaanks, but I've got a game for that too, Panzer Corps with Battlefield: Europe mod.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 02, 2015, 01:21:59 pm »

As for Army Management -  I mean more of an RTS with extensive logistical management, like you have to move the tanks from factories far away, possibly in trains and such, hence the comparsion with OpenTTD and Simutrans.

You do this in Total War games.  You build the units and then move them to front lines, road development makes this easier.

The most modern is Napoleon, and it has a Great War mod, and a mod for WWII North Africa.  I have not tried any of that, Empire was the last one I played.  Might be worth a look?

Star Wars Empire at War had RTS and Grand Strategy elements, as well.  And Star Wars is basically WWII technology and tactics with a thin sci-fi veneer.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 02, 2015, 03:15:37 pm »

I mean, I wouldn't at all call Empire at War "WW2 tactics", but the space battles are great and the ground battles are... occasionally fun I guess?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #818 on: November 03, 2015, 03:22:35 pm »

Not really a recommendation per se, but what's WildStar like? The two threads we've had on it have been pretty unhelpful in terms of people making unreliable claims and such.

My sister loves it, and I've been thinking of trying it out. Bear in mind that I don't play MMOs at all, generally - I've literally never played a non-browser-based one. As such, 'it's much like any other MMO' doesn't really bother me as a flaw. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #819 on: November 03, 2015, 03:22:56 pm »

Not really a recommendation per se, but what's WildStar like? The two threads we've had on it have been pretty unhelpful in terms of people making unreliable claims and such.

My sister loves it, and I've been thinking of trying it out. Bear in mind that I don't play MMOs at all, generally - I've literally never played a non-browser-based one. As such, 'it's much like any other MMO' doesn't really bother me as a flaw. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 03, 2015, 06:55:00 pm »

Well it's free so you can try it. Didn't play it personally but watching the gameplay it looks like World of Warcraft with a good dose of steroids.
Basically i can't say anything bad about it and if it's F2P then... well there are no reasons to say it's not worth trying. Unless you have a very low bandwidth.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 08, 2015, 10:36:53 pm »

A friend of mine and I are looking for some kind of multiplayer game we can both play together on Windows, but we're coming up dry because of some complicating factors:

1.) I have HughesNet satellite internet, which is laggy and has long delay times (at least 400 ping) when playing a game, so I can't really do anything too fast, like shooters or RTS games (strategy games on the Spring engine like Zero-K seem to be an exception, for some reason; I can run them just fine. Or I could, until a weird error started freezing my game and kicking me out after 6 minutes each time).
2.) My friend only has a 2.30ghz dual-core processor and about 3 gigs of RAM. Kinda weak when it comes to running any big games these days. By comparison, I have a 2.00ghz quad-core processor and 5 gigs of RAM.

So if anyone can think of any good turn-based game, or at least one that doesn't require really high reflexes and a fast broadband internet on my part (shooter games are right out), we would greatly appreciate any suggestions! Oh, and it should be immediately accessible, too; as in, readily downloadable from the internet, or playable as a flash game. Though if it's good enough, we might consider ordering it online and waiting for delivery if we like what we see.

(We've already tried Battle for Wesnoth, by the way. It didn't really work for me; not exciting enough.)
(I am cross-posting this from a thread I made back in General Discussion; you can find it here, to see what has already been suggested, links and all.)
(tl;dr:
Solium Infernum, THANCS, Stars!, FreeCiv, FreeOrion, Dominions 4, and Toribash. The first three looked VERY interesting, but I'm still looking for other possibilities out there.)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 08, 2015, 11:05:50 pm »

Blood Bowl (the first one) or chaos league would fit if you were willing to spend money.
Just about any Heroes of Might and magic game (2 probably being most practical because it's easiest to get for free and not horribly outdated like the first game of the series)

There is a free to play game on steam called March of War (and a TCG sidegame under a similar title) you might check out for free.

And then there's UFO:2000 A multiplayer mod for UFO Defense you might want to try.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 09, 2015, 05:28:18 am »

A friend of mine and I are looking for some kind of multiplayer game we can both play together on Windows, but we're coming up dry because of some complicating factors:

1.) I have HughesNet satellite internet, which is laggy and has long delay times (at least 400 ping) when playing a game, so I can't really do anything too fast, like shooters or RTS games (strategy games on the Spring engine like Zero-K seem to be an exception, for some reason; I can run them just fine. Or I could, until a weird error started freezing my game and kicking me out after 6 minutes each time).
2.) My friend only has a 2.30ghz dual-core processor and about 3 gigs of RAM. Kinda weak when it comes to running any big games these days. By comparison, I have a 2.00ghz quad-core processor and 5 gigs of RAM.

So if anyone can think of any good turn-based game, or at least one that doesn't require really high reflexes and a fast broadband internet on my part (shooter games are right out), we would greatly appreciate any suggestions! Oh, and it should be immediately accessible, too; as in, readily downloadable from the internet, or playable as a flash game. Though if it's good enough, we might consider ordering it online and waiting for delivery if we like what we see.

(We've already tried Battle for Wesnoth, by the way. It didn't really work for me; not exciting enough.)
(I am cross-posting this from a thread I made back in General Discussion; you can find it here, to see what has already been suggested, links and all.)
(tl;dr:
Solium Infernum, THANCS, Stars!, FreeCiv, FreeOrion, Dominions 4, and Toribash. The first three looked VERY interesting, but I'm still looking for other possibilities out there.)

(Wesnoth was kind of boring for me too)

I'd second the Dominions 4 recommendation, although it's more fun with more players (4-6 is good, or even more). It's turn based strategy with a fantasy setting and plenty to do each turn (actually, it taking more than an hour to take a turn tends to become a concern for bigger maps, later in the game, or if you've taken over most of the map, etc). It's PBEM (or you can use dropbox or whatever), the system requirements are incredibly low, it takes basically no time to load (unlike Civ 5), and there's a lot of different nations to choose from with different units and access to different spell paths, so lots of variety. You don't play the tactical battles - you basically assign orders (and locations on the battle map, and formations) to your troops, and to your commanders (such as spells you want them to cast, or the like, or if you want one to cast something and then retreat, you can do that) and then in the battles they try to follow those orders (but will cast something else if a spell you chose can't reach any enemies, or they're too exhausted to cast it, for example). There's a lot of depth and I'm barely touching on it here.

It's not free, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went on sale sometime during the Steam holiday sales.

How well does OpenTTD (or SimuTrans) work for you? They're both free, and although they're real-time games, they're transport tycoon games, so there's no combat, and the hardware requirements are modest at best (like, really modest, you should have no problems). The satellite latency might not matter, but you'd have to try them to find out (I've never had satellite internet).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 05:30:48 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 09, 2015, 08:50:01 am »

Is there any halfway good modern era grand strategy game? Supreme Ruler as well as SuperPower come to mind, but both of them are kinda meh from what I remember (combat in SR sucked balls, SuperPower was shallow as fuck overall).

There HAS to be something like a Paradox game in a modern day setting. I can't believe that EvW was supposed to be only one of its kind...
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 179