Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331053 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #735 on: September 10, 2015, 11:40:18 am »

Hello guys!
Here's a challenge for you.

I want to play a tactical or strategy game which has multiple unique character who progress independently. I.E. Battle for Wesnoth, X-COM, Myth, etc.

My ideal game is WH: Chaos Gate where you had a finite pool of unique marines and when you lost too many you were basically screwed.

Some of the SWAT games are like this.  At least SWAT 2, the only one I have any experience with.

Edit: There's also Shadow Watch, which is coincidentally now available on Gog.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:54:42 pm by Bouchart »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 10, 2015, 01:39:56 pm »

I need a simple-ish timewasting game for PSP. Preferably something that can be picked up or put down easily and quickly. Five or ten minutes sessions sort of thing.

Lumines 2 is right exactly what I mean, but I've played it to hell and need something different. It doesn't need to be a puzzle game either. Dissidia and Dissidia 012 are also good examples but I'm getting tired of losing to cheat factor (it may or may not actually cheat, suck factor is more likely), and 012 doesn't have Duel Coliseum, which was the best mode for that sort of thing anyway.

Story-based games (Loco Roco, Patapon) aren't good because I may put it aside for weeks or months and forget what I was doing.

Maybe racing games work.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 10, 2015, 01:43:53 pm »

Think the PSP had a remake of Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 10, 2015, 02:45:23 pm »

Hello guys!
Here's a challenge for you.

I want to play a tactical or strategy game which has multiple unique character who progress independently. I.E. Battle for Wesnoth, X-COM, Myth, etc.

My ideal game is WH: Chaos Gate where you had a finite pool of unique marines and when you lost too many you were basically screwed.
Fire Emblem, any game in the series. Unless you're playing Casual mode in Awakening, it also has perma-death.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 13, 2015, 11:33:24 am »

Does anyone know of a game that revolves around salvaging? Not generic resources collected from wreckage, but like a vehicle made of different parts, then you destroy it, then you take the unexploded bits and disassemble them or assimilate them into your vehicle.

Note, it doesn't have to be vehicles, just growing stronger by salvaging other things.

No I don't want to play cogmind.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 13, 2015, 11:54:39 am »

Cataclysm DDA

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 13, 2015, 03:44:10 pm »

Ygdrad, you should check out Bionic Dues, sounds like it'd be up your street.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #742 on: September 14, 2015, 08:22:26 am »

Does anyone know of a game that revolves around salvaging? Not generic resources collected from wreckage, but like a vehicle made of different parts, then you destroy it, then you take the unexploded bits and disassemble them or assimilate them into your vehicle.

You should try-

No I don't want to play cogmind.

Damn. :P

If you don't mind the fact that it's a cartoony flash game, I ran across this some months ago and I think it more-or-less fits the bill. It's not hugely deep or detailed, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 14, 2015, 11:58:34 am »

Sent my new laptop to get fixed under warranty because of some dead pixels, so I'm stuck with the one it replaced and it just seems slower than ever.
I'm looking for a game that can waste a large amount of time (automated e-mail response said 1-1.5 weeks, +time to order parts if needed), but it has to be very easy on the hardware requirements.

I found Distant Worlds and it was great. I especially liked that you could leave some matters to the computer, while you handled only a specific aspect of your empire. But... it turns out that my PC starts lagging out quite fast. Atm, with 12 empires, 700 stars and a 15x15 (or 8x8, doesn't change much) galaxy (even without pirates!), the best I can get is about 2 years in-game before I get to under 20 FPS. (Strangely, I recall playing it with a huge galaxy and default settings for a very long time to a sizeable empire, but either way, that definitely doesn't work now).

So, I guess a game that's either a space sim where you can play Trader/Pirate/Whatever you like or a 4X with AI help/advisers and low system requirements (I have an nVidia GT 555m and a 4gb i3-2330m 2.2GHz, but I think something ain't working fine...)
Has to be simple though (or follow a basic structure found in other games). I don't want to spend time learning an entire new game and creating strategies, since I only need something to keep me occupied for (hopefully) a few days to 1 week for now.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 14, 2015, 04:26:30 pm »

Captain forever.

It's a flash game where you fly a spaceship, assembling it on the fly from pieces. Each piece can be blown off separately so if you get hit too much you'll have to rebuild, so you're constantly taking new pieces from enemies. You need to go after stronger enemies to get better pieces, and you have to avoid damaging the parts you want to use.

The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 14, 2015, 09:06:41 pm »

Similarly, _Reassembly_ is a shameless rip of _Captain Forever_, but it's a bit more modern and polished.

There is also this _Habitat_ game, where you build stuff out of random space junk.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 29, 2015, 06:13:15 pm »

I'd like a good rpg roguelike/interactive fiction, with a focus on making sense and immersiveness. Either i can't solo a dungeon, or it's properly explained. My enemies should be intelligent and logically placed/organised. Narrative, world building and choice placed more highly then stats i couldn't give a sodden rats dream of breadcrumbs for.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 29, 2015, 08:05:42 pm »

I'd like a good rpg roguelike/interactive fiction, with a focus on making sense and immersiveness. Either i can't solo a dungeon, or it's properly explained. My enemies should be intelligent and logically placed/organised. Narrative, world building and choice placed more highly then stats i couldn't give a sodden rats dream of breadcrumbs for.
Now I just feel bad for the rat.  Why won't you just give it breadcrumbs?  That's all it wants.

Time based regeneration is pretty much ubiquitous in roguelikes.  Excuse plots are only slightly less common.  I... actually can't think of a single game that fits your description.  In particular the "randomness!  randomness everywhere!" aspect of roguelikes doesn't seem to play well with stories, especially branching ones.  And it certainly doesn't agree with logical enemy placement.

Ancient Domains of Mystery is a roguelike that exists in a set fantasy world, which lends it more internal consistency.  It also has dialogue and multiple endings.  No logical enemy placement and you still solo entire dungeons tho.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 29, 2015, 08:33:00 pm »

Omega, perhaps.  Worldmap and cities are fixed, dungeons are random.  Plot is fixed.  Does contain silliness.

And Cogmind is pretty sensical.  I have not survived far enough to uncover the plot, but I'm given to understand that there is some to uncover.  Really hits on the immersion, too.  Well themed UI.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 29, 2015, 11:41:43 pm »

It's not exactly a game I'm asking for, but it's close enough.

I want a mod for Shogun 2 Total War. One that rebalances the game somewhat.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 179