Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331052 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #720 on: August 04, 2015, 05:24:23 pm »

The latter.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: August 27, 2015, 12:41:11 am »

I'm looking for 2D space run & jump shooter games similar to this one.
Can be either singleplayer or multiplayer. Doesn't matter which platform.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: August 27, 2015, 08:10:24 am »

1. Is it worth trynig the Shenmue series if I have no dreamcast and did not play it when it came out?
2. I desperately want to play a roguelike with a puzzle/quest portion (like Nethack but featuring even more adventure elements).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:16:42 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 27, 2015, 07:08:01 pm »

1. I haven't played Shenmue myself but it's generally well-received.
2. Elona has a lot of randomly generated quests.  Don't know what you mean by puzzles, though.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 28, 2015, 07:34:12 pm »

2. I desperately want to play a roguelike with a puzzle/quest portion (like Nethack but featuring even more adventure elements).
Ultima Ratio Regnum, though I haven't played it, is like that and at least looks very good.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 28, 2015, 10:05:54 pm »

what?

URR is a scenery generator.  He just barely got NPCs in, but they dont do anything yet.  It's just a tech demo at this point, there is no game there.  You can explore it, but there isnt anything to /play/

Although it is awesome, and you should follow the development of it if you are interested in learning about those knowledge areas.

Caves of Qud has a great quest, though it isnt finished yet.  No real puzzle elements.  It is back in active development though, and you can follow it right here on this forum.

Cogmind has a quest in the sense that Nethack and Rogue have quests -- get to the end of the dungeon.  But it /does/ have much more story along the way, and is quite playable even in alpha.  Also right here on the forum.

Cogmind is probably better on the puzzle side, in that there are minigames like hacking, and finding optimal character builds and play styles is a mini-game / puzzle in of its self...

but I cant think of anything off the top of my head that incorporates Sokoban style levels.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 28, 2015, 10:13:55 pm »

Isn't the point of URR, when it's done, that you'll explore around to get knowledge and clues so you can go find and do puzzles in the 9 ancient ziggurats or something?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 28, 2015, 10:26:38 pm »

Yeah, generally.  When it is done.  In a few years.

But it has already changed massively from its original premise (strategic warfare, commanding armies, conquering cultures) to now, and the author isn't sure if the final game will incorporate combat or not.. who KNOWS what it will actually be like when its done.

You're right though, the current plan is for a massive mystery conspiracy sort of game, which sounds super cool.  But it isn't a game yet.

Reminds me though, The Magic Candle.  Not a roguelike, but more similar to Ultima 3 / 4 or something.  Awesome puzzles.  Awesome quest.  Get some Dosbox and play it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 29, 2015, 12:21:54 am »

1. I desperately want to play a roguelike with a puzzle/quest portion (like Nethack but featuring even more adventure elements).
I'm going to suggest Road Not Taken, although I'm not sure to what degree it could count as a roguelike.  It has a strong sense of permanent consequences (although its less about avoiding your own death) and is a puzzle game.

Edit: to go into more detail, every step you take causes everything else in the game to advance, so it is mechanically similar to roguelikes, even though permadeath doesn't feature prominently.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 03:13:57 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 10, 2015, 01:57:02 am »

I recently got a $20 steam gift card and I'm looking for a new game, it doesn't have to be a 20$ game, I'm willing to spend extra. I'm looking for something with a lot of replayability and high difficulty either from challenging gameplay or punishing game mechanics. I tend to quickly lose interest in a game if losing isn't a strong possibility. To give you some idea of games I've liked and still play and to make some sort of recommendations for others while at it, here's a list:

The Souls series(demon's souls, dark souls, DS2)
Monster Hunter Series(been at it since the original and love long boss fights where one or two hits could end it)
Front Mission series(one of the few tactical RPG's I found challenging which didn't boil down to rock-paper-scissors)
Armored Core series(or anything game with lots of customization with challenging gameplay)
Mechwarrior Mercenaries(I love the management aspect and how your performance directly affected you since taking too much damage could render your mechs unavailable for some time and cause monetary loss) If anyone finds me something with this kind of punishing management system on top of an action-based gameplay I will forever love you
Many roguelikes(the ones not overly focused on random unavoidable stuff as the main source of death, I love Cataclysm DDA and ToME)
AI War(oh I love how this game never fails to be hard no matter how good you get, winning the game on the highest difficulty without extreme cheesing is considered a bug)
Way of the Samurai series(pretty challenging combat system)
Creative games with actual gameplay purpose for your creations(looking at you space engineers >:| ) where your designs matter(From the Depths, Reassembly, Windforge...)
Games with some degree of simulation or an advanced damage system where taking damage has lasting consequences.(War Thunder, Silent hunter, Mechwarrior, various games where you create designs and have parts damaged/destroyed)

I'm a glutton for sadistic difficulty, but i'm not really into those platformer games like vvvvv, iwbtg, super meat boy, and the other dozen of other games like them. I did love Cave Story though.

I am a huge sucker for complex build-crafting in games and can spend hours having fun not playing the game but just coming up with builds.

Anyone got any games on steam to recommend, both recent or older titles I might have forgotten about?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:26:33 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 10, 2015, 07:50:31 am »

There's the new dinasty warriors 7 (8~9?): empires pc port which you might enjoy. Its the first time an "empires" version gets ported to pc, I think.

There's also the latest way of the samurai pc port but.... The latest game is kind of the worst in the series, IMO.

Not sure if it counts as a tactical RPG, but there's poxnora on steam now. Kind of a mix of Magic the Gathering and a turn based strategy board game thing with TONS of variety in possible strategies.

Additionaly, not sure if it counts as a recommendation, since its not even out yet, but apparently, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is finally comming to PC in january, on steam, if sources are to be believed.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:54:44 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 10, 2015, 10:35:13 am »

Hello guys!
Here's a challenge for you.

I want to play a tactical or strategy game which has multiple unique character who progress independently. I.E. Battle for Wesnoth, X-COM, Myth, etc.

My ideal game is WH: Chaos Gate where you had a finite pool of unique marines and when you lost too many you were basically screwed.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 10, 2015, 10:43:19 am »

jagged alliance 2

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 10, 2015, 11:18:20 am »

Hello guys!

I want to play a tactical or strategy game which has multiple unique character who progress independently. I.E. Battle for Wesnoth, X-COM, Myth, etc.

My ideal game is WH: Chaos Gate where you had a finite pool of unique marines and when you lost too many you were basically screwed.

King Arthur The Roleplaying Wargame, 1 or 2. Might not meet the unique character aspect as strongly as you'd like though. It's basically Total War + Exploring an Overworld Map + Choose Your Own Adventure style quests.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 10, 2015, 11:27:58 am »

Hello guys!

Try Silent Storm.

Which game of the Dizzy series is the best? I played only Fantastic Dizzy which was one of my favourite games on SMD (I also sampled some Dizzy game on DOS, but I forgot the title).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:35:08 am by RoguelikeRazuka »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 179