Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330928 times)

Theotian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #480 on: April 16, 2015, 08:36:00 am »

ya i gave that one a whirl its a good management game but not as in depth in the right areas as i am looking. its kind of you looking at your empire building i want to deal with the people and go in myself if i can. thank you for the suggestion though!

There's another game I'm penciled in as producer on that was basically that ._. I'll remind the guy that there's interest in his product.
poke him with a big stick! like i said its a neglected genre!

and thanks for the suggestion guys unfortunately i have played them before lol , but ill hand the floor over to someone elses' question. Thanks again!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #481 on: April 17, 2015, 09:25:35 am »

Are there any good science fiction simulation/sandbox games focused more around politics and economics and less around combat?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 17, 2015, 10:10:32 am »

Are there any good science fiction simulation/sandbox games focused more around politics and economics and less around combat?

The Last Federation?

Edit: also Space Rangers has some non-combat paths, but they're pretty tedious at some points.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #483 on: April 17, 2015, 10:15:13 am »

Hoping for something like good-old startopia but a bit more modern, and with a bit larger scale.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 17, 2015, 05:32:51 pm »

Maybe you should try fragile alegiance? It's not modern by any standard but it is all about building a mining empire inside an asteroid belt with several alien races as opponents you can engage in trading, diplomacy, espionage and war.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 17, 2015, 08:49:38 pm »

Anyone know any simple (as in abstracts almost everything and has low to no graphics) strategy games which have intelligent AI (i.e doesn't just get arbitrary bonuses to make it harder but actually plays the game better and smarter) or a decent multi-player community AND has terrain actually count for something?

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 17, 2015, 09:06:19 pm »

Unity of Command is a neat one; it's a operational-level WW2 wargame with a focus on supply and manuver; while not as abstract and minimal as it could be, it's fairly so.  The AI's pretty brutal; while it can be easily tricked once you get used to it, make any mistake and it'll exploit it aggressively.

Diplomacy could count, depending on what you mean by 'terrain'; all tiles are simply either land, water, or impassible; however, their topography makes its own terrain, and understanding it is vital.  It's originally a board/PBM game, but has many web adaptations.  While there are some AI clients, it's meant for multiplayer - there's no randomness at all, except maybe who gets what country - and there are plenty of often very good players.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 19, 2015, 03:44:26 am »

O yes I need this thread. Too many times have I made threads looking for certain types of games.

So, does anyone know of any games with obscene amounts of loot? I'm talking about everything from weapons/armor to furniture to deeds to gems to taxidermy models and whatever else you can think of. I want to be a hoarder and collect stuff I will never need. The closest I've come to this is oblivion, where I could drop and move items in the real world and displayed pretty much everything I could find. Another game that inspired this urge was animal crossing. No MMOs please.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 19, 2015, 05:10:44 am »

I think the one you mentioned is pretty much unique.  Fortuneatly for you, Animal Crossing has plenty of sequels.

Searching for "games like animal crossing" turns up something called Castaway Paradise.  Never heard of it before, though.

Also, this page:  http://gameslikefinder.com/games-like-animal-crossing/

Though most of the things on that list are just pastoral sort of farming / relationship games without the collecting garbage aspect.

If you just want a loot-heavy game like Diablo and can do without the furniture and playing house, there is Torchlight (2 is the best) and Krater (sci-fi squad based diablolike).

If you want to do nothing BUT play house, there is The Sims.

What was that old Dreamcast RPG with bauble collecting?  Shenmu?  That thing was a classic.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 19, 2015, 07:17:56 am »

Obscene ammounts of loot? Well there's Titan Quest. Before some patch the mobs you kill dropped everything they had... and by that i mean whatever armor they (visibly) had on and weapons.
Better still if that lonely satyr was lucky enough to be randomly generated holding a mark XXX sword of utter destruction and armor of unkillability you have to somehow kill him before getting the loot unlike most hack and slashers where loot just appears after you kills someone here they have the "loot" and use it agaisnt you before you can loot it.

It's not as game breaking as you might thint tho both sadly and thankfully.
Self promotion below.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 19, 2015, 07:49:47 am »

Obscene ammounts of loot? Well there's Titan Quest. Before some patch the mobs you kill dropped everything they had... and by that i mean whatever armor they (visibly) had on and weapons.
Better still if that lonely satyr was lucky enough to be randomly generated holding a mark XXX sword of utter destruction and armor of unkillability you have to somehow kill him before getting the loot unlike most hack and slashers where loot just appears after you kills someone here they have the "loot" and use it agaisnt you before you can loot it.

It's not as game breaking as you might thint tho both sadly and thankfully.

I think they still drop everything they're wearing, but most of it doesn't get highlight because it's useless stuff that sells for 1 gold.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #491 on: April 19, 2015, 08:20:32 am »

Most of it is broken, useable but very cheap and significantly reduced in effectiveness. By the time you hit level twenty you can have a reasonable collection of whatever the artifacts are called - epic and legendary, I think - armour and weapons, if you like. Nothing other than combat equipment and the paraphenalia for it, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 19, 2015, 08:34:55 am »

Yes it is. Mostly to prevent players from never exiting the first area because they are too busy hauling weapons and armor worth around 3 gold each.
They used to get highlighted by pressing left alt but they removed that feature and when i played the expansion i think you couldn't pick up the junk anymore... well at least i don't remember picking it up by accident (somethign that happened pretty often before).
Self promotion below.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 19, 2015, 11:00:57 am »

O yes I need this thread. Too many times have I made threads looking for certain types of games.

So, does anyone know of any games with obscene amounts of loot? I'm talking about everything from weapons/armor to furniture to deeds to gems to taxidermy models and whatever else you can think of. I want to be a hoarder and collect stuff I will never need. The closest I've come to this is oblivion, where I could drop and move items in the real world and displayed pretty much everything I could find. Another game that inspired this urge was animal crossing. No MMOs please.
Elona has a lot of junk you can collect, you even get houses to put it in.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 19, 2015, 01:23:41 pm »

Elona has a lot of junk you can collect, you even get houses to put it in.

Haha yes I still play the hell out of that.

And c'mon guys, I want stuff to display, not wear. If I would be fine with weapon and armor loot than I wouldn't be here asking and would have an endless number of games to play.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 179