Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330874 times)

Yannanth

« Reply #390 on: February 02, 2015, 08:25:42 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:14:23 pm by Yannanth »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #391 on: February 02, 2015, 04:00:57 pm »

I'm also craving a decent tycoon/management simulation, and an RPG with choices that matter (played the mainstream suggestions, think outside the box!).
On the tycoon/management stuff...
If you like wrestling, like the Hulk Hogan and stuff type, There is Total Extreme Wrestling 2013.  You are the bookie or owner of such a promotion and you can also be one of the fighters yourself.
This game gives you a lot of control, but most of the things you can do mostly amounts to flavor text you make yourself, but there can be benefits to doing them.

Another is World of Mixed Martial Arts 4, you are a bookie or owner of a fighting organization.
This one seems to be a bit more streamlined since you don't have the option to manage popularity like TEW13.  You can read the play-by-play of the bouts or ignore it if you like.

Demo is available for both these games.

Well, there is Theme Hospital from gog.com, rather then Origin...  heh.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 02, 2015, 04:13:55 pm »

I'm also craving a decent tycoon/management simulation, and an RPG with choices that matter (played the mainstream suggestions, think outside the box!).

Whoa now, how about both at once?  There is that Darkest Dungeons game, I think is in early access.  Check out the thread on this very board.  Manage an adventuring party!

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 02, 2015, 05:34:36 pm »

I'm on a serious Roguelike-like binge right now, I'm pretty much not playing anything else.
Know of any good ones that aren't on my list?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To my knowledge, all the games you listed are roguelike-likes. From that group, you may also want to give Spelunky a go, which  is probably my favourite platformer of all time after just about all Mario games and Donkey Kong 64. That's saying something!

So here's my favourite straight-up roguelike of all time:

Brogue. This is probably the modern roguelike closest to the original Rogue. As such, it is very simple, gives you little in the way of guidance (don't spoil yourself) and rewards exploration and playing in different ways. For example, you get no reward whatsoever for killing monsters and level up through drinking strength potions and the like.The incredible ASCII graphics (you'll know what I mean when you get to play it) and open-ended gameplay full of interesting strategic decisions never gets old. Oh, and it's free as in freedom. Have fun with the BEST roguelike (because it's streamlined and just feels right)!

Aside from Brogue, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is good fun. It's basically Grand Theft Auto in post-apocalyptic New England (USA), with zombies. I just can't get past the yucky interface and viewport, as well as the horrendous time it takes to compile (they really need to optimise their build process!). It's worth noting that the project was initiated by members of this forum board when Whales (the original developer) stopped maintaining it. While it has many roguelike elements, its open world environment probably puts it in the roguelike-like camp.

One Way Heroics:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210/

for 3 bucks its a really good little game!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 02, 2015, 05:43:02 pm »

A long time ago, I played a game where you got shipwrecked on an island...and had to build and survive on it. On island was tigers/lions/monkeys and stuff. However, the game ran out of content really fast, AI sucked and the game looked like it was made in java :P (maybe it was). I liked Unreal world 2d more lets just say lol. Game did have a storymode I recall.

But I'm looking for something like that game, with at least average AI that does stuff...singleplayer...and you survive on an island. Hunt animals and fish to live and what not. Build a small little one-man settlement. With modern graphics.
I think that old game you're refering to was Stranded
http://www.stranded.unrealsoftware.de/

There are 2 titles, in case you played the old 1st Stranded, maybe you'll want to give a look into the 2nd one, it's a bit better looking than the 1st one, but still not very "modern graphics"
I remember reading that there were a lot of mods made for Stranded 2, maybe one of them improve the visuals.

The developer was working on Stranded 3, and apparently is still working on it :
http://unrealsoftware.de/forum_posts.php?post=330941&start=20
http://www.stranded3.com/

Out of that, i don't know of modern lost/island survival 3D games without too much fantasy elements, most of the modern games in that genre that are 3D always end with zombies or various kind of monsters.
Though apparently from the blog of the Stranded 3 developer, there's a game on steam that seems to fit what you're looking for, "Stranded Deep" , no idea on how it is.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 05:46:19 pm by Robsoie »

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 02, 2015, 06:29:03 pm »

A long time ago, I played a game where you got shipwrecked on an island...and had to build and survive on it. On island was tigers/lions/monkeys and stuff. However, the game ran out of content really fast, AI sucked and the game looked like it was made in java :P (maybe it was). I liked Unreal world 2d more lets just say lol. Game did have a storymode I recall.

looks like java... hmm... maybe that old game island survival game was wayward?  www.unlok.ca/wayward/

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #396 on: February 07, 2015, 11:12:34 pm »

Heya guys, thought i'd put in a request for some games. To start, I play a lot of games with my younger brother who's 18, and my father. We play lots of lan. LAtely it's been CoH Blitzkrieg mod, Endless Legend, Colonization religion and revolution (mod of the newer civ4 standalone). We also play lots of dota 2.

I have been itching for new games for a while, and am always poking at something new. LAst few suggestions have been space empires 4 or 5 (vetoed by brother because clunky interface(and yet we used to play lots of df parallel and paradox games)), Civ 5 (vetoed by me and dad, dad because he won't play hotseat, and me as i can't get the mods i want working lan even with the hacked dlc method on civfanatics.), and imperialism 2 (after 2 hours to get lan going it crashed for brother repeatedly, so we put it on the self again.) Oh. And Anno. we played 17 something a year or so ago, and trying to get them to play 1404, brother has shut down because he never liked anno it seems.
FAKEEDIT: civ 4 base or with mods was declined by father, too much just hit end turn a lot till ai stomps you. And armada 2625. tried with brother. i liked it, even if still figuring out, but it's clunky to host a custom game and poor reviews they don't wanna play much more of it.

So, that's some history on our gaming lately. My request, boils down to two:

A strategy preferred turn based game.
-bonus if space-y OR older times kinda like colonization is.
-bonus is turn based or slower playable. Dad commented a lot lately on slowing reflexes and preferring time to think.

and a bit more for me then them, as brother avoids fps games and father only sometimes plays anymore due to not getting into one.
-not payday 2, we already have and sometimes rarely play it
-I do have titainfall, and idk, it didn't stick that much with me thoguh i think that's mostly nobody to play with
-Prefer versus humans
-Neither will touch CS:GO (though i play sometimes, need more bay12 people to play with :D)

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 07, 2015, 11:30:05 pm »

-bonus is turn based or slower playable. Dad commented a lot lately on slowing reflexes and preferring time to think.
FreeOrion is an open-source 4x based on the Master of Orion series.  It's turn-based and in space, and while in perpetual development it's fully playable and pretty fun.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #398 on: February 07, 2015, 11:40:00 pm »

Looked into that, so it's playable? i'll go give it a download!

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 07, 2015, 11:45:28 pm »

Looked into that, so it's playable? i'll go give it a download!
Yeah, it's more complete than plenty of finished games but since it's opensource they're just leaving it "in progress" and slowly polishing it.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 07, 2015, 11:53:30 pm »

Master of Orion series and the Galactic Civilization series come to mind here.

For something a bit different, there's Space Hulk, which is a tactical strategy game based on the board game of the same name.  Fairly easy to learn, has hotseat multiplayer, but is a bit costly and a little lacking in content.

and a bit more for me then them, as brother avoids fps games and father only sometimes plays anymore due to not getting into one.
-not payday 2, we already have and sometimes rarely play it
-I do have titainfall, and idk, it didn't stick that much with me thoguh i think that's mostly nobody to play with
-Prefer versus humans
-Neither will touch CS:GO (though i play sometimes, need more bay12 people to play with :D)

Any number of classic 1990s deathmatch shooters: Descent 1 and 2, Quake series, Duke Nukem 3d, Rise of the Triad. System Shock 2 (which has co-op mode).  Shogo's an interesting one too.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 08, 2015, 03:05:27 am »

maybe:
-Battle for Wesnoth (its free, games with high base gold income so you can buy big armies are fun) http://www.wesnoth.org/
-Age of Wonders:   i.e. aow1... or aow2 shadow magic... or aow3 (http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=age+of+wonders)
-AI War... well its space... and coop vs wave ai more or less, so not really that much quick twitch gameplay...  (http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=age+of+wonders#term=ai%20war&sort_by=_ASC&page=1)
-Sins of the Solar Empire: rebellion (http://store.steampowered.com/app/204880/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1)
-Wargame: Red Dragon (http://store.steampowered.com/app/251060/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1)
-star trek online? (pretty good for a space mmo, free to play, http://store.steampowered.com/app/9900/)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 08, 2015, 04:24:27 am »

I'm wondering what the more recent Romance of the Three Kingdoms games are like. They're a turn-based wargame series from Koei, which focuses on generals (each character gets action points per turn which can be spent on military and civil administration). I used to play it around Rtk 3 and 4, which were on DOS.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI is definitely available on PC / English (no version between 1995-2008 was in English, and they shifted to playstation exclusively) and supports multiplayer, though I'm not sure how it works. Probably hot seat for the turns, but I'm not sure about inter-player battle resolution.

The game is based on the 14th century Chinese classic novel of the same name set in the Three Kingdoms civil war period of China, from 169ad to 280ad. There are a lot of different historical factions at play. In the DOS versions I used to play, the strategic level stuff is sort of similar to stuff in the Total War series but with much more emphasis on economics and characters: it's characters who carry out all actions. This was one of the most complex strategy games of the late 80's / early 90's. I might have to see if I can find the new one somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms_XI
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:31:16 am by Reelya »

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #403 on: February 08, 2015, 07:14:59 pm »

thanks for the suggestions guys!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 08, 2015, 08:51:27 pm »

A game with fun muscle wizards? Preferably an RPG?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 179