Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331808 times)

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2130 on: August 10, 2020, 07:50:49 am »

Well, that's quite a diverse list there.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: August 10, 2020, 08:33:43 am »

... is it? It's mostly varieties of RPG with a couple action-y things and some builder/survival stuff, one or two other things but that's most of it. It's a list but it's not particularly diverse as games go, heh.

Any case, might check out Dredgers for something small, action-y rpg/roguelite style, or Moonlighter for something similar with a dash of recetter style shop management. Either might fit with that list well enough.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: August 10, 2020, 11:12:00 am »

My computer is too old for the new Mount and Blade. StarSector looks decent.

A bit late to the party, but there is a mod for warband that's supposed to "add features from bannerlord to it". I don't know how much of it is true but it does seem to add a lot of stuff. It's called Bannerpage and it had a big release a few weeks ago.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: August 10, 2020, 12:23:28 pm »

Here's a challenge for the collective hive-mind here: recommend me a game based on my current desktop game icon list!

In no particular order:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Fallout 4
Shadow of War
Final Fantasy X/X-2
The Long Dark
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Master of Orion II
Far Cry 5
Subnautica
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Graveyard Keeper
Divinity Original Sin II
Skyrim
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Pathfinder Kingmaker
The Outer Worlds
Control
Stardew Valley
Atelier Lulua
Stranded Deep
Green Hell
My Time at Portia
Rimworld
Sunless Sea
Factorio
Help Will Come Tomorrow
Thimbleweed Park

So probably complex RPG with nice graphics?

I've got Caves of Qud and DoomRl for semi-complex RPGs, although Qud might be on the repetitive side for you (DoomRl games are less than 1 hour long, so repetition and trying to improve are much more reasonable). I've also got Hitman 2 for nice-looking and somewhat complex. The third game in that series has been announced, so everything might go on sale whenever that hits, and there are some free (early/easier) levels available for you to try if you want to get an idea what to expect.

Final Fantasy 14 is an MMO you might like, but it wasn't my style.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: August 10, 2020, 07:18:41 pm »

Here's a challenge for the collective hive-mind here: recommend me a game based on my current desktop game icon list!
[snip]

Horizon Zero Dawn (windows port) was released a couple of days ago.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: August 10, 2020, 10:10:26 pm »

Rimworld
Factorio

The Rimworld & Factorio mentions make me think of Oxygen Not Included. Which is... like a physics & thermodynamics-based game about managing a colony on an asteroid in an ant farm-type perspective. It really is like Factorio + Rimworld in a lot of ways. There's a thread for the game on the forums, but most of it is really outdated. Thread was made when it was very first released in early access and OP hasn't been updated since then.

Find and make oxygen, find water, farm food, freak out since the water for your farm is actually 95 degrees celsius and it turns out the plants really don't like that, build a metal refinery that dumps massive amounts of heat used to smelt metal into a coolant fluid, make a steam turbine to extract the heat from that fluid preventing everything from melting and recovering some of the power spent, breach the surface of your asteroid, build an automatic meteor shower and regolith clearing system, send rockets into space to explore and gather rare materials. And so on. Complex, and it's unlikely you'll be able to easily master the game without some sort of external reference, but extremely fun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: August 11, 2020, 05:15:09 am »

Any case, might check out Dredgers for something small, action-y rpg/roguelite style, or Moonlighter for something similar with a dash of recetter style shop management. Either might fit with that list well enough.
Thanks for the recommendations! I tried Moonlighter awhile ago, though it has far less "Captalism, ho!" than Recettear and is mainly about dungeon running with a side of light trade. Still a decent enough story, and fun in its own special way.

Not that keen on Roguelikes, the only real one I ever got into was ADOM back a few decades ago. I tried it again after Biskup added more polish, and it was a fun nostalgia trip, but also served to remind me why I prefer more modern game entries. There's fun to be had and great challenge in the system, but the repetitiveness of rerolling characters and the basic RNG procedural levels quickly lost their appeal over more bespoke handcrafted gameplay such as Fallout, Syrim or Tomb Raider when playing an adventure game.

I've got Caves of Qud and DoomRl for semi-complex RPGs, although Qud might be on the repetitive side for you (DoomRl games are less than 1 hour long, so repetition and trying to improve are much more reasonable). I've also got Hitman 2 for nice-looking and somewhat complex. The third game in that series has been announced, so everything might go on sale whenever that hits, and there are some free (early/easier) levels available for you to try if you want to get an idea what to expect.

Final Fantasy 14 is an MMO you might like, but it wasn't my style.
I gave DoomRl a try just now, but got splattered at 2nd level and didn't see any appeal in restarting a new game. Didn't really feel like downloading Caves of Qud for more of the same. My feelings about roguelikes were reinforced yet again.

I loved the Hitman games, especially their stealth and variety of mission success conditions. Always enjoyed a good stealth game, such as Dishonored, Hitman or Splinter Cell. Great suggestion! I might have to revisit those gems soon.

I don't do MMO games, both for their grind and their time-sink nature. I work full time and have two kids, so gaming's a hobby I pursue on the PC after work, cooking dinner, helping with homework, doing housework and cleaning chores. I used to play a few before I had kids and ran a top guild on the server, but those days are long gone. I got FFX as a nostalgia trip, remembering my youth when it first came out.

Horizon Zero Dawn (windows port) was released a couple of days ago.
Definitely on my radar. Didn't know it finally came to PC though, which is all kinds of awesome. Probably a great choice to fill the gap between now and Cyberpunk 2077.

The Rimworld & Factorio mentions make me think of Oxygen Not Included. Which is... like a physics & thermodynamics-based game about managing a colony on an asteroid in an ant farm-type perspective. It really is like Factorio + Rimworld in a lot of ways. There's a thread for the game on the forums, but most of it is really outdated. Thread was made when it was very first released in early access and OP hasn't been updated since then.

Find and make oxygen, find water, farm food, freak out since the water for your farm is actually 95 degrees celsius and it turns out the plants really don't like that, build a metal refinery that dumps massive amounts of heat used to smelt metal into a coolant fluid, make a steam turbine to extract the heat from that fluid preventing everything from melting and recovering some of the power spent, breach the surface of your asteroid, build an automatic meteor shower and regolith clearing system, send rockets into space to explore and gather rare materials. And so on. Complex, and it's unlikely you'll be able to easily master the game without some sort of external reference, but extremely fun.
I got this a while ago, though a lot has definitely changed since I played. I used to like using the water sieves that deleted heat and always output clean water at 40°C. I miss that feature, since it was central to my base heat management designs. That, along with the changes to the dupe job system made at the same time, kind of turned me off the game. Now steam turbines and ice makers are the only real heat reducing systems, with the other methods based on extremely limited resources. I had fun with the earlier builds though.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: August 23, 2020, 05:15:16 pm »

And lesser known or obscure JRPGs I should know about?  Not the obvious popular series.  Preferably from 5+ years ago or with low system requirements.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: August 23, 2020, 06:00:46 pm »

Unlosing Ranger on PSP was great, and had a (spiritual) sequel in Guided Fate Paradox on PS3.

They've got grinding and weird humor and pathos. Great JRPGs, though not a series that gets mentioned much.

Edit: Anyone looking for Tabletop Simulator games? I could use 1-2 more for a restart of a Gloomhaven game while quarantine is still here.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 06:56:20 pm by Iduno »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: August 27, 2020, 06:13:20 pm »

Looking for more directional combat games! If you know of one, please let me know! So far I have played or know of...

M&B
M&B II
Chivalry
Mordhau
Gloria Victis
Mortal Online
Last Oasis

I am curious as to what else is out there, if anything.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: August 27, 2020, 08:44:10 pm »

Kingdom Come is a good one. 5 directions + stabbing and some more advanced moves, if I remember right. Pretty tough to figure out at first, but pretty satisfying and realistic-feeling once you get it right. No multiplayer, though, if that's a factor.

Holdfast: Nations at War is basically Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars redone from the ground up (with some additions the M&B engine didn't really support, like naval combat), and the melee combat is largely similar. I've read the hit reg is not as good, but then I guess Napoleonic Wars itself is still an option (assuming the servers are still populated)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: August 27, 2020, 09:21:53 pm »

Ohhh, at first I thought you wanted us to tell you which of those to play. Dang, this is trickier.   

Well uh, have you played Dragon's Dogma? It's kinda old in game terms but there's no other like it.   
Kind of like your typical fantasy setting mixed with a goofy kung-fu adventure flick, complete with a wide variety of themes and a delightful lack of internal logic. Also, it's very deep - not just because I didn't finish it, but the amount of different playstyles one can use is quite impressive. You can just sword and/or board the heck out of everything and bring a healer pawn along to keep you battle-ready, or you can hire a bunch of mooks and do the sorcerous backup yourself.   
Magicians also get to hover at higher levels, which is pretty neat.

It was re-released on PC a couple years or so back, so maybe they improved some stuff like companion AI. They bloody better not have touched the voice-acting, though: it ran the gamut from really dang good to ridiculously hammy, but it was all entertaining and went towards the overall sum of this wonderfully weird game.   
I should really dig out my PS3 sometime (well, turn it on - it's right there next to the PS4) and play this again. But then again, I've only just recently managed to clear my mind of the various earworms such as the greetings from the goddamn blacksmith or that ridiculous travelling merchant... come to think of it, I can still hear the words "you'll never hit them swinging blindly!" if I put my mind to it.   

It's great, though. Much recommend.   
Also I can honestly recommend Hunt: Showdown. As I've said before, it's not really the sort of thing I'd usually play and I almost didn't look twice at it, but it is actually fantastic. It's nothing like a battle royale in my opinion, even if different teams or solo players compete for overlapping objectives.
The metagame is pretty cool, too, with you recruiting, equipping and levelling hunters that can die permanently if things go south. Don't worry though, they can retire.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: August 28, 2020, 09:17:02 am »

Second recommend of Dragon's Dogma. Climb all over a cyclops and cut its tusks off. Make a hydra swallow an explosive barrel. Rush a bandit, knock him over, pick him up, throw him into his ally near a cliff and send both to a plummeting death.

God I love that game. The Devil May Cry guy (Hideaki Itsuno) was involved and you can feel it in some of the insane combat moves you can pull off.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: August 28, 2020, 09:21:45 am »

Speaking of Devil May Cry, I need somebodys opinion on DMC5.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 179