Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331404 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1320 on: November 21, 2016, 10:59:03 pm »

Indeed, thanks for the recs anyways. I'm working my way through shadow of mordor now. LOTR mod for M&B is great, sadly doesnt run as well as it could on my mac. Tempted to try out the Medieval II mod... but maybe not if they still stick to that old TW center format of leaving mods in a billion part downloads.

But you're right, there are precious few LOTR games, fewer quality ones, and almost none that work on mac. I chose the mac life, I knew what I was getting in to.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: November 22, 2016, 09:48:17 am »

A good LOTR game--preferably for mac.

I've heard that War in the North is in the app store. Due to raisins, the Mac version isn't on Steam. I enjoyed it but the Steam reviews have changed to "mixed".

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: November 25, 2016, 04:29:44 pm »

A game with flintlocks (and similar early muzzle-loader firearms) featured prominently.

I have already tried Mount and Blade: Fire and Sword.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 04:31:27 pm by Krevsin »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: November 25, 2016, 04:43:48 pm »

There's always Mount and Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars, I guess.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: November 25, 2016, 04:49:48 pm »

If you like Warhammer Fantasy and games like Diablo, there's Grim Dawn.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: November 26, 2016, 11:38:21 pm »

... so I've recently started fighting (and winning) higher level sigils in siralim 2 and I have to wonder. Is there any other games out there that encourages fighting enemies that are 10-15+ times (that is indeed times, as in a multiplier) your characters' levels?

Or in other words, is there anything else out there that tells you to take your level 100 team and go smash in the face of a level 1500 one? Genre I don't really care about, for all it's likely to be some stripe of rpg, obviously enough, but still. What sets you up against things that overpower you to a grotesque degree, and expects you to win with more or less the exact same tools your enemy has?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: November 27, 2016, 09:03:13 am »

A game with flintlocks (and similar early muzzle-loader firearms) featured prominently.

I have already tried Mount and Blade: Fire and Sword.

Blood and Gold: Caribbean! is a similar game in the same engine set in the golden days of piracy. It's alright, think Sid Meier's Pirates mixed with Mount and Blade and you've basically got it.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: November 27, 2016, 11:08:24 am »

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but how can the enemies overpower you 10x while still having the exact same tools you do?
Exact in the sense of, to pull an example from final fantasy, if your stuff can use a limit break, then the enemy can use a limit break. If you have access to items, the enemy has the same access. Symmetrical capabilities in terms of type if not intensity.

As for the rest of it... stuff like RTS/4x scaling isn't really what I'm looking for -- they could do that, but I've probably played something approaching either a plurality or slim majority of either genre over the years, and none of them do their cheating difficulty like I'm looking for. It's... well, generally they cheat, have access to resources you don't, get units stronger than you can (again, the symmetry is important, that if I really felt like it I could take a small forever and get my level 100 guys up to level 1500 and then fight a level 22,500 group but that's neither here nor there), stuff like that. Occasionally there'll be a one-off scenario or somethin' that's pretty close, but it's (very) rare. Similarly, design like disgaea where you'll be offsetting the disparity by things like jacked up weapons, isn't it (it's closer than most, though, and iirc some of the fights where you leverage map features or skill combos/interactions to deal with something that's just outright beyond you in terms of direct confrontation is closer still). As well as the beefgate stuff... I'm not looking for something where this is being used to limit or direct the player, that they're not very much intended to be going up against. Not an optional challenge or come back later type thing, basically, but rather part and parcel to the base game.

Monster hunter's a thought (as would something like shadow of the colossus) and definitely in the right direction, but it's got more asymmetry going than I'd like. Not looking for boss fights, looking for Shadow Link style things except Shadow Link starts at Super Saiyan 50 and you at SSJ1.

Another point would be that if the game *expects* you to do this, it's unlikely that the enemies really do overpower you when you take everything (including player skill vs the limits of AI) into account.
It's more or less explicitly a "break the system" kind of thing, and having challenges that outright require it, though not so much "expects you to" as "lets you". Siralim, which is where I'm coming from looking for similar things, is based around party composition and special ability interaction, and leveraging it to overcome the enemy. The sigil fights I mentioned, they're things where if you've got close to a single thing out of place, you're going to die, and brutally. You can't just use "things that handles the normal parts of the game" in these fights, you have to put a fair chunk of thought into what you're actually doing and how you're going to use it to deal with an enemy that's not just a bit stronger than you, but drastically so.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: November 27, 2016, 05:03:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure I posted this earlier but just in-case some game that fills this came out: Anyone know any game not a 4X or strategy game with a build-your-own-faction mechanic similar to Mount&Blade Warband, Fallout 4 and the X series of space sims?

I modded up Fallout 4 to play the DLC I missed and reinstalled all my favorite Minutemen mods and I love that feeling of returning to my fortified Castle, fully manned by uniformed Minutemen Guards with a few on break lifting weights in what i made into a gym corner.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: November 27, 2016, 06:45:05 pm »

I was fond of the Earth series (Earth 2140, 2150, 2160, and maybe more) of games way back when. It's been a while but I believe you research new unit bases and equipment for them, then design and construct them. I think I've got a bunch more games like this I can post later if you're interested.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: December 09, 2016, 10:53:09 pm »

Just watched Doctor Strange--fuckin' fantastic--except now I'm obsessed with finding a game that's got considerable flexibility in it's class and magic systems. Any RPG recommendations? Preferably being able to create your own spells, enchant items, and generally mix and match skills/traits/stuff??? Graphics don't matter too much to me.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: December 09, 2016, 10:56:28 pm »

Haven't played it, but "create your own spells" brought Magicmaker to mind
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: December 09, 2016, 10:59:56 pm »

Haven't played it, but "create your own spells" brought Magicmaker to mind

Noted. Checking it out--thanks for the recc.

In addendum to my request, really any game that has spell creation would be awesome.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1333 on: December 11, 2016, 03:48:21 pm »

I'm looking for an Android game along the lines of Earthtongue. Basically, a sandbox-type game where the world/garden/whatever will evolve slowly over time without my input, but which I can mess with and alter as I please. Something slow-paced. Let's just say I currently have a psychological need for something like this. I'd prefer to buy a game (not too expensive) rather than have a free one full of ads and timers and such.

Does anything like this exist?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1334 on: December 11, 2016, 06:34:11 pm »

I have really, really been craving a game like that^^. Something that I can have running in the background that will make progress in real time without my input, but I still need to manage it and put some time in here and there to make sure things don't start regressing.

The closest I've gotten to this without it being an incremental game (I've played shitloads of incremental games but it's never satisfying) is playing Stronghold HD on sandbox mode at low speed. Get the castle started, come back 30 minutes later and add some quarries. Come back and make some walls and put crossbowmen. Oh they're starving a little, better up food production, no big deal though. Etc.

Playing Majesty on sandbox would be really good for this too but that game doesn't like it when I tab out.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 06:36:15 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 179