Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331285 times)

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1065 on: April 19, 2016, 05:55:55 pm »

Yeah, actually, I meant to mention that one as well, because of the MMOs I'm familiar with, it is probably the most likely one to meet the necessary expectations. Being "box"-sales only - that is, no subscription - there's no 'moneygrubbing' to it (though there are expansions to be bought now), and it is still fairly popular so I don't think it would be a ghost town. Just depends on how much you like the combat mechanics.
i actually hold the opposite view. lets not ignore the fact that the developers have to support themselves and have a reason to continue with the IP... box sales seem like a guarantee to a shorter game life expectancy. to counter this, they will probably introduce moneygrubbing elements like stuff you can buy on the side which is what absolutely nailed the coffin in WoW for me.

i favor the subscription model when its the ONLY model. when WoW only had that, it was perfect. you had a good feeling of security that the game would be stable for a long time. unfortunately, they got greedy and now you can buy virtually anything in the game if youre willing to pay (things like level boosts bother me the most).

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: April 19, 2016, 07:11:01 pm »

Has anyone crunched the numbers? Why do MMOs keep going F2P? I mean, it certainly does not promote user retention. Trend dictates that if you go F2P, you are fucked. There were a lot of very strong games that fucking imploded once they went to F2P, I haven't really seen it talked about, but it seems like a major disaster to me.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Unknown11010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: April 19, 2016, 07:51:37 pm »

Hi all. Just jumping into the conversation in the middle of all of this.

I would say that games that are F2P make more money than subscribe to play/pay once. this is because I feel there is an obligation to play for the time that you paid for. This also allows people to join in to see if they like it and even spend a bit of money where they would not otherwise since they're not paying the full price of the game.

-----

On topic,

I was wondering if anyone had ideas of games where the world and even economy is alive, but not due to the multiplayer.

Some games where I find that meet this criteria:
Dwarf Fortress
-obvious

Mount and Blade
-The world does seem alive even though it's simple ai, where lands are changed

Crusader Kings 2
-Been playing this recently and even though I'm terrible, I enjoy it

I also like these games because there's sort of an RPG/stat element to it. Dwarfs having stats , MC has stats and skills in Mount and Blade and in Crusader Kings 2, your leader has politic skills

It doesn't have to have RPG elements, but I enjoy being able to immerse myself into a character.

Another game that seems similar to what I want but would probably never come out: Northern Shadows.
I was really looking forward to this game but at this point it looks like it's dead before arrival as there hasn't been any updates for almost a year now.

Anyways, thank you all for reading.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: April 19, 2016, 09:48:17 pm »

Total War games--world moves on without you.

Sunless Sea--the world at least feels very alive. Not much changes without your though.

King of Dragon Pass--to some extent, but I'm not really sure

EUIII/IV--life goes on, even if you just chill

Airships: Conquer the Skies--nifty little game, if you play the campaign, you have to be VERY proactive else empires will eat you up!

HOIII--another Paradox title

Civ III/IV/V--the classics

Vicky2--yet another Paradox title, love it

The Guild II: Renaissance--with the right mods, this game is a true masterpiece, do recommend.

Kenshi--a little slow, but nifty

sorted in no particular order.

Unknown11010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: April 19, 2016, 09:58:50 pm »

Total War games--world moves on without you.

Sunless Sea--the world at least feels very alive. Not much changes without your though.

King of Dragon Pass--to some extent, but I'm not really sure

EUIII/IV--life goes on, even if you just chill

Airships: Conquer the Skies--nifty little game, if you play the campaign, you have to be VERY proactive else empires will eat you up!

HOIII--another Paradox title

Civ III/IV/V--the classics

Vicky2--yet another Paradox title, love it

The Guild II: Renaissance--with the right mods, this game is a true masterpiece, do recommend.

Kenshi--a little slow, but nifty

sorted in no particular order.

Thank you very much for your recommendations.

I have played a lot of the total war games but the only ones I really liked were Rome and Shogun 2 (FUCKING SAMURAIS)

King of Dragon Pass felt a bit too static. Plus I'm a bad leader.

Not a fan of the Civ, just didn't quite click with me. Were fun for the bit I played though.

I thank you kindly for the other Paradox game recommendations, but Crusader Kings 2 is the one that most clicks with me, even though the others do have world building.

I like the concept of Kenshi....but that UI....

Will look into Guilds 2, what mods do you reocmmend?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 19, 2016, 10:38:17 pm »

Essentially to really get the best experience out of the game make sure its correctly updated to 4.21 (the directions can be found by poking around steam reviews/forums) and then make sure you have the megamodpack. A very complex game, it can be tough to get started--I am really bad at it. Lots of micro--some automation--very interesting.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: April 20, 2016, 10:42:20 am »

HELP! I am in a real funk right now. I have this strong feeling that I want to play something fun, but nothing is doing it for me.

In particular I like survival games and open world games, but I can't really find anything I haven't already played pretty heavily.

So...

Fallout 4 Survival Mode - looks good, but pretty expensive still.
The Flame in the Flood - looks a little bit pricey for me given that I don't have much of an impression of it.
Don't Starve - like it, but I played it too much. Same for Shipwrecked.
Unreal World - played it quite a lot, not really into it so much at the moment.
Minecraft - played it waaay too much
Subnautica - kind of feeling like I've got most of what I can get out of it for now, given that it is still being developed.
The Long Dark - waiting for the update that is supposed to hit this week...
The Forest - this one I actually find kind of tedious, doesn't do it for me
Call of Pripyat MISERY - Played it too much in the past, hard to get into it again even though I never actually played the third map
Alien Isolation - got it, but meh, not enough survival
Dishonored - great, played it enough though
Sheltered - love the idea, not the execution
The Witcher III - played 80% of the story-line and burned out, not so happy with it as a game, though like the world and story (too easy even modded and on hardest difficulty)
Batman Arkum City - mostly just punching?
Assassins Creed - doesn't really do it for me
Terraria - played it enough really
Metro series - love the world, but too linear, too much shooting
Modded out Skyrim V to be hardcore, played that enough
Kingdom - pretty much beat it once, don't want to play again
Project Zomboid - love it, but played it too much in the past, waiting for more progress with updates
Battle Brothers - love it, but waiting for more updates.
Factorio - played enough for now
This War of Mine - fantastic, but one play through was enough

So yeah, I am stuck... 

Any recommendations?

My favorite games of recent times...

The Long Dark
Project Zomboid
Battle Brothers
Subnautica
Factorio
This War of Mine
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1072 on: April 20, 2016, 01:11:16 pm »

I recommend you check out Survivalist (open world with survival elements at its core), Dungeon Siege 1 (very big open world action RPG where you can have a huge party), Evil Islands (big open world RPG with several gateways that prevent you from returning to previous areas, but each island is huge enough on its own that you won't mind), and Metal Gear Solid 5 (open world third-person shooter). If you pick up any of these let me know. They're all multi/co-op and I wouldn't mind having someone to play them with. Evil Islands and Dungeon Siege 1 basically have a multiplayer version of the single player worlds, essentially another game within the game that is too hard to complete alone.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 01:13:46 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Unknown11010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: April 20, 2016, 09:34:16 pm »

HELP! I am in a real funk right now. I have this strong feeling that I want to play something fun, but nothing is doing it for me.

In particular I like survival games and open world games, but I can't really find anything I haven't already played pretty heavily.

So...

The Flame in the Flood - looks a little bit pricey for me given that I don't have much of an impression of it.
Subnautica - kind of feeling like I've got most of what I can get out of it for now, given that it is still being developed.
Call of Pripyat MISERY - Played it too much in the past, hard to get into it again even though I never actually played the third map
The Witcher III - played 80% of the story-line and burned out, not so happy with it as a game, though like the world and story (too easy even modded and on hardest difficulty)
Project Zomboid - love it, but played it too much in the past, waiting for more progress with updates

So yeah, I am stuck... 

Any recommendations?

The Long Dark
Project Zomboid
Battle Brothers
Subnautica
Factorio
This War of Mine

Check out Dead State, but I only recommend it if it's on sale. A lot of bugs that never got fixed.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: April 20, 2016, 09:38:26 pm »

Check out Sunless Sea!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: April 21, 2016, 05:42:47 am »

So...

So yeah, I am stuck... 

Any recommendations?

The Long Dark
Project Zomboid
Battle Brothers
Subnautica
Factorio
This War of Mine

Since you're on the Dwarf Fortress forums I'll assume you're not too terribly fussy about having top notch graphics and prefer a game that offers challenging gameplay.

I recommend Stranded II. It's a decent enough game, though it lacks in difficulty once you master the basic mechanics. Once you're reliably surviving without difficulty, I strongly suggest the Survivalist Mod for this game. It adds a huge increase in difficulty, and if you can deal with getting brutally murdered on a regular basis, the Hard mode is awesome fun. I often come back to this mod after stretches of several months simply because I love the challenge.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1076 on: April 21, 2016, 06:50:32 am »

I know you say you've done lots of Minecraft, but does that include Terrafirmacraft? It's pretty difficult survival and it's really a different game from normal Minecraft. I've just started playing the Terrafirmapunk modpack on the FTB launcher and it's really refreshing, so different from what I've played before.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: April 21, 2016, 07:53:25 am »

Thanks for the recommendations. Sunless Sea and Terrafirma craft I have also played quite a lot. I enjoyed both.

Thankfully the long dark update came out, so that will keep me busy for a few weeks. I'll check out the other games too though.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: April 23, 2016, 01:40:25 am »

So...

So yeah, I am stuck... 

Any recommendations?

The Long Dark
Project Zomboid
Battle Brothers
Subnautica
Factorio
This War of Mine

Have you tried Cataclysm DDA? Like project zomboid but tiles/turn based and probably more content than project zomboid could ever hope to have.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: April 28, 2016, 01:59:10 am »

What is a good WW2 shooter with a heavy historical/realism focus? I'm thinking of something comparable to Operation Flashpoint. Preferably something from 2010 or earlier as my computer isn't exceptionally powerful.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 179