Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331266 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1050 on: April 09, 2016, 10:32:42 pm »

I'm looking for an RTS game with the ability to build walls and a good campaign. Some other RTS' I like are Stronghold, Settlers, and Age of Empires. I DON'T like Dawn of War.

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms you can build walls. They're built block by block and gates are a separate part you place in a gap. Towers can shoot over the walls and some units have arcs to missiles.
Hmm... Battle For Middle Earth 2 has wall building with gates, towers and so on.

There's a freeware game called "0 A.D." that is kind of a homage to Age of Empires with wall building. Also some other interesting mechanics but it's still in development so performance is a bit of an issue when lots of units are made.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: April 09, 2016, 10:38:09 pm »

Any game on the pc with ridiculous amounts of customization similar to recent Etrian games?

I like me some customiz.
You... might consider checking out the touhou labyrinth games?

And yeah, pretty much all the TA and TA derived games (Save PA, I guess) have the potential to build walls (of dragons teeth, if nothing else) and a pretty solid campaign. Mind you, the walls are usually of pretty questionable usefulness, but they're there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: April 09, 2016, 10:48:37 pm »

I'm looking for an RTS game with the ability to build walls and a good campaign. Some other RTS' I like are Stronghold, Settlers, and Age of Empires. I DON'T like Dawn of War.

You could try Warzone 2100 (it's free).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1053 on: April 10, 2016, 02:14:38 am »

If you want fun 'base' management that still feels like a classic RTS, at the price of not very complex combat, I recommend Cultures (I can only vouch for the first one). Original War doesn't have walls or terribly deep base management but it has one of the best campaigns in an RTS I've ever played, and I have played a LOT of RTS. Both of these games are quite slow and I would compare the pace to Stronghold. OW has costly battles much like Stronghold whereas Cultures I would say is quite a calm game and half of the scenarios you might not even wage war at all, which is interesting.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:16:13 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 10, 2016, 02:42:39 am »

are there any NEWER city builders that are based on ancient times or fantasy or futuristic? Not RTS, but actual city builders.

Something like children of the nile, or Pharaoh games...or fantasy like Dwarf Fortress. Something that isn't modern Earth, that looks like I can see it out my own window :P And also new...

If it was out 5+ years ago, I already have it and played it to death :P

Only one I can think of along the lines of something I'm looking for is Banished, and I asked on the forums earlier this year (or maybe it was around Christmas) how it was and no one really liked it. And I heard a lot of bad things about it.

I know of Stonehearth, but no idea how that is

I see there is also Planetbase, but also no idea how that is
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1055 on: April 10, 2016, 03:00:08 am »

are there any NEWER city builders that are based on ancient times or fantasy or futuristic? Not RTS, but actual city builders.

Something like children of the nile, or Pharaoh games...or fantasy like Dwarf Fortress. Something that isn't modern Earth, that looks like I can see it out my own window :P And also new...

Only one I can think of along the lines of something I'm looking for is Banished, and I asked on the forums earlier this year (or maybe it was around Christmas) how it was and no one really liked it. And I heard a lot of bad things about it.

Anno 2205, Gnomoria, King of Dragon Pass.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 10, 2016, 08:54:07 am »

I'd be surprised if you have Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom - if not you should check it out, it's not new but is the culmination of all the improvements made over the course of the Impressions series.

Planetbase is pretty good, it has sort of a resource management/survival aspect early on though it (IMO) isn't that fun to play past midgame, and it's not really a city-builder.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 10, 2016, 06:15:13 pm »

Actually, Emperors I don't have. I always wanted to play it. But...its 80 dollars on amazon, not on GOG and I never been able to find a DIGITAL version of it. I don't want a box :P And I did try the...mighty seas and pillaging! route and the thing had malware in it detected by windows 10 (it auto deleted it) so I removed the rest of it right away lol.  And I'm not spending 80 dollars on an old game lol. I don't even spend 60 or 50 dollars on NEW games :P And I only buy games digitally.

So with that, I ended up buying Cultures. I played it ages ago and it was awesome, but I threw out all my game boxes/dvds and stuff (not in the dumpsters as that be kinda wasting it,  and noticed someone came and got the whole bunch of them lol. Won't ever deal with game boxes again), but since its on GOG...yay :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:25:57 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 11, 2016, 05:25:29 am »

Rimworld is sort of what you are looking for possibly?  It's less city builder more survival/smaller number of people dwarf fortress.  Basically 3 dudes crash land on an alien world and need to survive, you get more people by capturing them in combat and brainwashing them, random events, buying slaves, and people asking to join you.  It has a research system and great mod support if you want to change anything about it (my personal favorite mod is the zombie apocalypse mod).
Nom nom nom

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: April 18, 2016, 01:27:37 pm »

this has been probably asked a million times but.... does anyone know any good mmos? i find that while theres a vast number of them, the majority are either moneygrubs, ghosttowns or underdeveloped...

i played WoW when it first started and i have to say it felt like the perfect mmo experience, but im sad that now its nothing more than a moneygrub with them introducing features engineered to make players log in and play instead of actual fun content.

i discovered that the main part of mmos that i like is levelling up/exploring with the threat of pvp, and beyond that it just gets stale

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 18, 2016, 06:19:50 pm »

MMOs run the gamut of playstyle and quality, so it is kind of hard to recommend them. Especially since qualities like "moneybrug" or "ghosttowns" can be very subjective. We only get out of it what we put into it. I'd probably still be playing EQ1 if I had people to play it with, but these days I play MMOs purely and intentionally to waste my time; I have no intention of making or maintaining any kind of social connection in them anymore.

I've been playing EQ2. I don't know why, really. The TLE (time-locked expansion) server is fairly active at all hours of the day (helps that there is only one server so both US and EU play on the same one), for nearly ever tier of content (whether low level dungeons or end-game content), in every role (even classes that straight only pretty much DPS). Not many people group up for the non-dungeon group quests, though, but you might have luck if you join a large guild: even high level players might be willing to help for the AA experience (at the moment, on TLE, AA only comes from questing/named/exploration/other 'discoveries', instead of directly from experience, which will come with a later expansion). But maybe that's a moneygrub, since it requires a subscription? You could play on the regular servers: all content there is unlocked up to the most recent expansion, but there are some limitations for freebies (50% of your experience goes to AA, which can be a good thing depending on how much you don't want to rush through content). It's a pretty bog-standard themepark MMO, but they went overboard (way overboard, in my opinion) with how many abilities classes get.

Once I get bored of EQ2 I plan to try RIFT again. Another themepark MMO, this one parallels WoW more closely (ability/talent descriptions lift the format almost directly from WoW). A hell of a lot of it is unlocked for freepers, but I think it eventually requires buying expansions for content, plus some exclusive souls (classes/talent specs) separately. Not sure how its population is actually doing, though. (Also, I went looking around about it forum-wise and apparently there are obnoxious paywalls everywhere now. I planned to sub anyway but that may not be your thing.)

LOTRO is another fall back of mine, but it definitely requires expansions for anything outside the vanilla release. These expansions are available via time rather than cash by farming Turbine Points through deeds, but it is very, very time-consuming. Might make more sense to buy the expansion directly (I got all five for $25 during Christmas sales), as this also bumps you up to "premium" which offers some modest benefits over free players (who could otherwise buy those with turbine points). VIP/sub gives you access to everything outside of expansion content for the duration of the sub, plus 500TP monthly. All that said, the actual gameplay of the game never felt smooth to me. It's very stiff compared to other MMOs in its generation.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 18, 2016, 07:03:03 pm »

MMOs are in a somewhat sad state of decline the past few years. Formerly, I may have recommended you LOTRO (Which I personally fell in love with; a very well done game at it's release) or even Allods Online (Another fairly good game down the drain.) Really, it's the lesser of X amount of evils these days--SWTOR is a very fun time and you don't really need other people to play it with. The missions are actually fairly fun and the story is engaging, even gripping in spots. Not perfect, and not nearly as good as the hype of it's pre-release, but very solid.

EVE Online if you're hilariously rich and have ungodly amounts of time and money to spend.

Otherwise... IDK man, a few promising ones in development, but I'm so jaded I really just scoff anytime someone even mentions a new MMO. So, don't get your hopes up.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 18, 2016, 08:24:11 pm »

I've heard good things about Guild Wars 2.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 19, 2016, 04:06:06 am »

Yeah, actually, I meant to mention that one as well, because of the MMOs I'm familiar with, it is probably the most likely one to meet the necessary expectations. Being "box"-sales only - that is, no subscription - there's no 'moneygrubbing' to it (though there are expansions to be bought now), and it is still fairly popular so I don't think it would be a ghost town. Just depends on how much you like the combat mechanics.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 19, 2016, 11:54:50 am »

MMOs are in a somewhat sad state of decline the past few years. Formerly, I may have recommended you LOTRO (Which I personally fell in love with; a very well done game at it's release) or even Allods Online (Another fairly good game down the drain.) Really, it's the lesser of X amount of evils these days--SWTOR is a very fun time and you don't really need other people to play it with. The missions are actually fairly fun and the story is engaging, even gripping in spots. Not perfect, and not nearly as good as the hype of it's pre-release, but very solid.

EVE Online if you're hilariously rich and have ungodly amounts of time and money to spend.

Otherwise... IDK man, a few promising ones in development, but I'm so jaded I really just scoff anytime someone even mentions a new MMO. So, don't get your hopes up.

The problem I had with SWTOR is that it's actually a pretty decent main storyline.... connected to a TON of MMO grind bullcrap that just gets in the way and adds nothing to the experience. I'm on a mission to save the universe or whatever but first I have to farm 12 lizard testicles for someone's stew because I need the exp or I can't advance my main quest. It's just too much after a while, I never managed to finish it because I got bored of grinding sidequests.

At one point they sold (or gave away as a reward, or...something) an exp booster that gave you like 12x exp for class quests so you could just completely ignore the MMO aspect and grind out the main quests only. I'd have probably payed $20 to have an account-wide permanent version of that and just played it like KOTOR3, but of course they would never do that because EA is super greedy.

...oh yeah, that's the other thing. The cash shop is absurdly overpriced on everything and F2P accounts are very limited. Even the "premium" accounts (payed money but no sub) are really, really limited. Amusingly while you can buy cash shop items for in-game money from other players..... the credit limit for non-subscribers is so low you can't actually ever afford it because you can't carry enough money.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 179