Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331263 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1035 on: April 03, 2016, 10:24:47 pm »

I'm looking for some kind of strategy game that I can play while doing other things:
- Windowed or borderless windowed preferred
- Can't be turn-based
- No brainless incremental (clicker/idle) games please

Do-- oh.

Uhh.

Why no turn based?
I want to make progress while I'm tabbed out. I like playing Stronghold and Creeper World at the lowest speed and just checking it every once in a while.
Does asynchronous turn based fill that requirement?  Hero Academy is a great TBS that you can start a bunch of games in and the turns can be very fast.  Other people do their turns while you're away and then you can check in and do them as they come.  It may look casual but its surprisingly balanced and in-depth.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: April 04, 2016, 12:31:54 pm »

I don't really game on android much but if you are willing to shell out some money[...]
If only...if only. :-\ Can't be doing that since I'm not going into doing a job, part-time or otherwise due to kindly requests from parents (living on allowance; can only spend after graduation).

Sadly most free games are indeed dressups and MMOs with "gurls" sporting watermelon grade boobs.
>_> I typed up a post making sarcasm at this but then the post got flopped due to internet connection in pressing preview.
I guess that's opportunity to not do that because this irks me greatly. <_<

After looking into ther RPG section i found this.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.igg.android.bloodblade&hl=en

Again i don't really use my android tablet for more than emulation so i can't really say if it's good or not.
I'll check that later when I-
edit: Aw fish ._.
Note: This game requires an internet connection.
Not going to work with me T_T

But thanks a lot dude c: I appreciate the effort!
Can't find any other with a protagonist though (Other than Z HQ & Cassy's Caves, which are pretty nice). :-\

I'm looking for some kind of strategy game that I can play while doing other things:
- Can't be turn-based
Do these include idle-themed games [as in not-really idle, by which I mean things that keep track of real-time progress while away]? Offline games? Browser games? Downloadable games? :O
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:34:42 pm by Tiruin »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: April 04, 2016, 01:17:29 pm »

Any well-written games akin to Undertale? Not necessarily the same gameplay or even themes, just really, really well written games?

Well, I can't say if it's better, but if you do like Time-Traveling games and VNs, Steins;Gate is a good choice. It's all officially (JAST USA) translated and such.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1038 on: April 04, 2016, 01:39:11 pm »

- Can't be turn-based
Do these include idle-themed games [as in not-really idle, by which I mean things that keep track of real-time progress while away]? Offline games? Browser games? Downloadable games? :O
As long as it's got more thought behind it than most clicker games I couldn't care less what medium it is exactly, so long as it's on PC.

Does asynchronous turn based fill that requirement?  Hero Academy is a great TBS that you can start a bunch of games in and the turns can be very fast.  Other people do their turns while you're away and then you can check in and do them as they come.  It may look casual but its surprisingly balanced and in-depth.
My impression just from the gameplay videos is that it's yucky but what the heck, I'll give it a try.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 04, 2016, 03:23:24 pm »

Any well-written games akin to Undertale? Not necessarily the same gameplay or even themes, just really, really well written games?

Well, I can't say if it's better, but if you do like Time-Traveling games and VNs, Steins;Gate is a good choice. It's all officially (JAST USA) translated and such.

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. Its graphics are very dated, which is not something I say often. I recommend Better Bodies, Better Heads (aka Faces of Vardenfell), a clothing replacer and any other graphical mods that catch your eye.

Planescape: Torment. People seem to think it's overrated nowadays, but I love it to pieces. It's probably the closest you could get to playing a tabletop game with a creative DM playing a single-player game on your computer.

Katawa Shoujo. It's a VN, so if you like VNs then I recommend it.

Star Wars: KOTOR 2. Blatantly unfinished game with some interesting ideas. I've never played another Star Wars game like it. The gameplay is ass, so I hope you really really want a deconstruction of typical Star Wars themes and tropes if you do decide to play it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 04, 2016, 10:05:05 pm »

Thanks! I'be been considering Planescape. I'll have to do a serious Morrowind run too. I loooooove KOTOR 2, only problem is my game bugged out :C, I refuse to restart so I gotta wait till it comes back to me.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 05, 2016, 04:39:59 am »

Thanks! I'be been considering Planescape. I'll have to do a serious Morrowind run too. I loooooove KOTOR 2, only problem is my game bugged out :C, I refuse to restart so I gotta wait till it comes back to me.
There's an extensive fan-made KOTOR2 patch, but yeah give it some time before replaying.

I too enjoy well written games. If you can dig text games, then here's some recent games with solid writing.

Otherwise, games I've played recently that I'd recommend include Else Heart.Break(), The Banner Saga and Sunless Sea. In Else Heart.Break() you get a job on a mysterious island and it's very much up to the player to decide how they're going to go about things on the island; the Banner Saga is a fantasy epic with hard choices and memorable characters; Sunless Sea is a weird sailing game with lots of mysteries and lots of intertwining storylets. 

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 05, 2016, 04:46:44 am »

I recently played Count Lucanor, and it was quite enjoyable. If you're into anything like the Grimm fairy tales, it is definitely for you. Fantasy with a dark twist.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: April 05, 2016, 12:03:09 pm »

Sunless Sea.

Think it worth mentioning that Sunless Sea gets very very grindy, I wouldn't suggest playing it in the "true" perma-death mode. Still has a neat story though (and save editing items in is easy).

Banner Saga is good, but due to the cliffhanger ending it's probably better to wait and be able to play the sequel immediately after finishing the first.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 05, 2016, 01:07:15 pm »

There's an extensive fan-made KOTOR2 patch, but yeah give it some time before replaying.

I too enjoy well written games. If you can dig text games, then here's some recent games with solid writing.

Otherwise, games I've played recently that I'd recommend include Else Heart.Break(), The Banner Saga and Sunless Sea. In Else Heart.Break() you get a job on a mysterious island and it's very much up to the player to decide how they're going to go about things on the island; the Banner Saga is a fantasy epic with hard choices and memorable characters; Sunless Sea is a weird sailing game with lots of mysteries and lots of intertwining storylets.
I have TSLRCM installed!

Banner Saga sounds fun.

Sunless Sea is supes cool--really tough to succeed at/get far before imploding.

I'll have to check out Heart.Break()

I recently played Count Lucanor, and it was quite enjoyable. If you're into anything like the Grimm fairy tales, it is definitely for you. Fantasy with a dark twist.

Yes, I hear it's quite good!

Sunless Sea.

Think it worth mentioning that Sunless Sea gets very very grindy, I wouldn't suggest playing it in the "true" perma-death mode. Still has a neat story though (and save editing items in is easy).

Ja.

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 06, 2016, 03:36:01 pm »

Did you ever try "To The Moon"? It's short maybe 4 hours at most, but it has an amazing little story to offer.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 07, 2016, 01:55:50 am »

Did you ever try "To The Moon"? It's short maybe 4 hours at most, but it has an amazing little story to offer.
^ +10.
It also has around ~6 hours, preferably for a full playthrough. :3 Has what I guess are also free DLC along with to continue a bit of the story.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: April 07, 2016, 08:09:26 am »

This isn't fulfilling any particular request, just a general recommendation.

My wife and I have been playing Space Food Truck for a while now. She's not really into many types of games but this is one that she'll request we play. We're up to ~10 hours of play over the past week or two.

There are videos on YouTube if you want to check it out (I learned about the game from SplatterCat). Honestly, I prefer local games. In remote multiplayer, you can't see what the other people are doing. Locally, however, you can collaborate more easily. A local game is technically singleplayer but we just hand the mouse off when the other person's chosen characters come up.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 09, 2016, 05:47:35 pm »

I'm looking for an RTS game with the ability to build walls and a good campaign. Some other RTS' I like are Stronghold, Settlers, and Age of Empires. I DON'T like Dawn of War.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 09, 2016, 10:27:24 pm »

Any game on the pc with ridiculous amounts of customization similar to recent Etrian games?

I like me some customiz.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 179