Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: [ORC] The Proud Orcish Rebalance  (Read 23309 times)

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ORC] The Proud Orcish Rebalance
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2013, 08:55:48 pm »

Would it be possible to combine Meph's new soul system with scalping? I'm not sure if this would make things any easier, but you could potentially have all the mutilated corpses be able to be scalped, resulting in a generic scalp.  Then you could combine those scalps with dwarf/elf/whatever souls to create a race-specific trophy scalp, as a tool type item instead of a butchery result.  That way it wouldn't be thrown into a refuse pile or end up in a leather bin.  This would also give the orcs something to do with all the souls that would pile up.  I know it does create another reaction to do, but at least the scalping could be automated, possibly combining souls with scalps as well if there are no other uses in orc mode for souls.
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2013, 09:51:27 pm »

I could add scalps the same way that I made the souls. The sideeffect is that every race would create scalps when they butcher a sapient being. I could make the scalps un-stockpileable, and make them rot away after 2 weeks into a "rotten scalp" and after 4 weeks they would be gone. This would mean that Dwarves have a few scalps in their butchery, which they dont need for anything, but Orcs could take them and use them in reactions.

I would only add scalps (elf scalp, human scalp, etc) to sapient races.

I would be ok with this. Orcs and Kobolds can take scalps, why not. Dwarves could just ignore them. And any race that can not butcher sapient beings (lets say elves or gnomes or humans, the friendly ones), would never get to see a scalp.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2013, 10:09:21 pm »

I was writing a response, but I like Meph's idea so much more:

I could add scalps the same way that I made the souls. The sideeffect is that every race would create scalps when they butcher a sapient being. I could make the scalps un-stockpileable, and make them rot away after 2 weeks into a "rotten scalp" and after 4 weeks they would be gone. This would mean that Dwarves have a few scalps in their butchery, which they dont need for anything, but Orcs could take them and use them in reactions.

That would be awesome! Seriously, that would solve all my problems, and kick me ahead significantly in development! :D :D :D

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2013, 10:20:56 pm »

Give me 30mins. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2013, 10:37:40 pm »

Done. Add the material template to material_template_masterwork.txt, add the creature to creature_masterwork.txt and the line below to any creature that should give a scalp. The scalp will rot, but not generate miasma (thought thats fair), and can be eaten away by vermin if you are not careful.

Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALP_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:MAUVE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:bloody] => you wont see this, but why not
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:bloody]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:MAUVE]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:n/a]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:n/a]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:MAUVE]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:n/a]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:n/a]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:4:0:0]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[SPEC_HEAT:4181]
[IGNITE_POINT:10508]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:NONE]
[HEATDAM_POINT:10250]
[COLDDAM_POINT:8900]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:NONE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1060]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:NONE]
[MOLAR_MASS:NONE]
[IMPACT_YIELD:10000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:10000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:10000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:10000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]
[TENSILE_YIELD:10000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:10000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]
[TORSION_YIELD:10000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:10000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]
[SHEAR_YIELD:20000] used human skin
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:20000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]
[BENDING_YIELD:10000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:10000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000]
[MAX_EDGE:0]
[ABSORPTION:100]
[ROTS]
GENERATES_MIASMA
MEAT
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[BUTCHER_SPECIAL:MEAT:NONE]
[MEAT_NAME:NONE:scalp:scalps]

Make one of these for each unique scalp you want.
         // fake creature for scalps
         [CREATURE:SCALP_HUMAN]
         [NAME:human:humans:human] => you will see this ingame.
         [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MUSCLE:SCALP_TEMPLATE]
         [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
                  [ARENA_RESTRICTED]
                  [DOES_NOT_EXIST]

This is added to the creature, same place where the PLANT_MAT:SOUL is. Just replace the _HUMAN with the fitting race. It must fit to one of the creatures above. so CREATURE_MAT:SCALP_ELF needs a SCALP_ELF creature, as seen above.
[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT][EBO_ITEM:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:SCALP_HUMAN:MUSCLE]
PS: 17 minutes. ^^ I tested it ingame, they work. Rot after 2 weeks. "This is a rotten human scalp", just like the souls wither.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2013, 11:26:00 pm »

Meph, you totally rock, this seriously speeds along my development!  Thank you so much! :D

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2013, 11:33:33 pm »

Well, its only copy pasting left to make it for all races. But I guess you have a bot for that. :P

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2013, 11:43:44 pm »

Add the material template to material_template_masterwork.txt, add the creature to creature_masterwork.txt

To keep all the orc things together, do you mind if I pop the scalp template in material_template_orcfort.txt, and the fake creatures to creature_orcfort.txt ?  And I presume there's nothing stopping me from adding a [REACTION_CLASS:SCALP] to the material template, is there?

The scalp will rot, but not generate miasma (thought thats fair), and can be eaten away by vermin if you are not careful.

That's perfect!

Well, its only copy pasting left to make it for all races. But I guess you have a bot for that. :P

Well, I am rather lucky that all the relevant creatures are already tagged with souls.  So s/bot/regexp/   ;)

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2013, 02:34:53 am »

To keep all the orc things together, do you mind if I pop the scalp template in material_template_orcfort.txt, and the fake creatures to creature_orcfort.txt ?
Sure, go ahead. :)

And I presume there's nothing stopping me from adding a [REACTION_CLASS:SCALP] to the material template, is there?
Thats fine. Then you can make reactions that have REACTION_CLASS:SCALP and accept any scalpe, and reactions that have REACTION_CLASS:SCALP and REACTION_CLASS:HUMAN, and only accept human scalps. And so forth.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2013, 04:35:39 am »

Excellent!

I'm putting in automatic tannery reactions for scalps to be turned into 'prepared scalps', which don't rot. This allows non-orc races to have them rot away naturally, but orcs can preserve them for later use.

Advice on what the prepared scalps should be would be appreciated. Tools are easy, but hard to stockpile. I could make a 'PREPARED_SCALP' tool, and have inorganics for each type of scalp (INORGANIC:SCALP_ELF) that it could be made of. That would allow stockpiling by material, which is important if you want to set up a stockpile that only holds certain types of scalps. (I anticipate situations where people will want to horde scalps from a particular type for race-specific honour items, but other others to create generic items.)

I momentarily decided that prepared scalps should be helms, because what's better than running into combat wearing a 'prepared elf toupee', but I decided against it. :)

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2013, 04:51:03 am »

You have to either make a lot of items, or a lot of materials. There is no other way. ITEM_TOOL_SCALP and INORGANIC_SCALP_RACENAME, or ITEM_TOOL_SCALP_RACENAME and INORGANIC_SCALP. Thats the options.

I would use tools, nothing else fits. Which option you chose from the two above doesnt matter. Its exactly the same in the end. 15 items, 1 material, or 1 item, 15 materials. For stockpiling purposes its the same.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2013, 05:08:47 am »

I would use tools, nothing else fits. Which option you chose from the two above doesnt matter. Its exactly the same in the end. 15 items, 1 material, or 1 item, 15 materials. For stockpiling purposes its the same.

Although stockpiles can sort on material, but not on tool-type, right? Or am I completely confused here? It feels like it's been too long since I've actually played DF! :)

Right now I'm looking at using a [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:] on the raw scalps, so we can have one single reaction which turns 'fresh scalps' into a 'prepared scalps' (converting them from rottable to non-rottable materials), rather than one reaction for each scalp type.  Both prepared and raw scalps will have the [REACTION_CLASS:SCALP] type on them, so there's no need to prepare scalps for use first. :)  (Although only prepared scalps can be stockpiled.)

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2013, 05:16:25 am »

but not on tool-type, right?
??? Sure you can sort by item type.

You dont need a [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT]. You could use GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT, and simply use the CREATURE_MAT:SCALP_HUMAN etc for it. Yes, the tools will be made of meat, but they wont rot... only food and plants can rot, but tools made of meat wont rot. This way you only need 1 tool, and the material is the already defined creature_mat from the fake creatures that you used to make the scalps with.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2013, 06:01:13 am »

Sure you can sort by item type.

Aww yis! Poor memory for the win! Thank you! :)

You dont need a [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT]. You could use GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT, and simply use the CREATURE_MAT:SCALP_HUMAN etc for it. Yes, the tools will be made of meat, but they wont rot... only food and plants can rot, but tools made of meat wont rot. This way you only need 1 tool, and the material is the already defined creature_mat from the fake creatures that you used to make the scalps with.

I love you so much right now. This is absolutely perfect!  Thank you!

~ T

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2013, 08:33:39 am »

I am liking all of the ideas I am seeing here.  Particularly the modular ritual circle.  I would suggest "ritual circle" or "orcish spirit circle" as the name of the building.  Each module would be called something like "node of earth" or "node of exsanguinated elf" (for elf reactions), "node of fire"/"node of the disemboweled dwarf" (for dwarf reaction) and so on, as appropriate for the theme you chose.

fasquardon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13