Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22

Author Topic: Victory Garden Games  (Read 39395 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Victory Garden Games
« Reply #255 on: June 26, 2014, 04:13:42 pm »

I can't believe I only just noticed this. PTW.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2014, 05:49:38 pm »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:38:19 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2014, 06:59:59 pm »

Any word on the ongoing projects?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2014, 07:46:38 pm »

>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
Math Sim? :3 Personification of the art of math?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2014, 07:50:24 pm »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:38:12 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2014, 08:16:10 pm »

Welcome, fellow math-component! *hugs*

*Returns Hug*

I looked at Wireside. It looks interesting, though it definitely suffered from not enough time.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 27, 2014, 12:11:04 am »

Any word on the ongoing projects?

I have been absolutely rubbish at doing progress updates... seriously sorry, peeps! What I'm going to do is share a bit of what we've been working on, and the state of various projects we've got in the works, over the next few days. In some cases I'm going to keep it vague because I'm a troll, but I'll try to provide enough stuff to be interesting. Sound good?

Generally speaking, everyone's been busy with various things. For me, I've been studying design pretty intensively, to familiarize myself with 3D (something I haven't had much experience with in the past), and with what games are out there, and what techniques they're using to do what they do. I've also been brainstorming solutions to some unexpected challenges... for example, things like "How to project a 2D Terrain Map over a Spherical World with minimal distortion", or "How to create animations using algorythms or procedural generation, instead of animating every frame by hand". We've also been working together to design and redesign a few projects, prototyping them into something playable to check if they're fun, and sometimes scrapping them and returning to the drawing board.

One of our first projects (you might remember the spoiler screenshot from a while back) was a prototype for an Electronic Boardgame, to learn the workflow, and make something simple and fun together. We took some inspiration from gardening, from Go, and from a few other places, and created KaiHua, a 2-4 player strategy boardgame themed around tilling soil and growing plants. However, we didn't realize that a simple, fun, and original classical-style boardgame is a pretty big challenge in Game Design. Basically, you're competing with games that are roughly as old as civilization itself. As a first project, it's kinda like a rookie going toe to toe with Muhammad Ali in the boxing ring... only he was also a Chess Board? Or something?

Er, moving on... back in March we put together a playable Pre-Alpha of KaiHua, complete with a few variations on the core mechanics, while I started to play around with graphics. It ended up being more interesting in concept than in practice. We also ran into issues with developing for a mobile platform that made things more difficult. We suspended the project for the time being, while we get some more practice on other projects. You can still check out the Alpha for yourself here, and I'll share some Screenshots and Concept Art too. The Pre-Alpha was meant for in-house testing, so I'm sorry that it's not really intelligible or pretty, but you're welcome to try it out if you're curious. Also, we ended up going for the "River" rule set, but other rule sets are included in the Pre-Alpha.

KaiHua Pre-Alpha Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v40vawx3tgemuuw/KaiHua%20Alpha%20March%202014.zip

Anyway, that's the first of many belated updates. More soon!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:16:51 am by Solifuge »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 27, 2014, 12:14:21 am »

Oh, wow, it's pretty awesome to read you guys' thought processes in design. Just...don't spread yourself too thin. It doesn't help.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 27, 2014, 02:42:57 am »

Spreading thin seems quite specific...(yeah don't do that), but putting ideas in safe containers for later is always great!

I especially love how the details are so...smooth. Illustrated (art/writing) pretty well.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 27, 2014, 01:28:20 pm »

If you guys ever want help with board game design stuff let me know, I've even got a thread on it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 28, 2014, 12:04:32 am »

I liked Wireside.  :3

I haven't tried the other one yet, but I'll get around to it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 28, 2014, 12:19:33 am »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:38:02 pm by Vector »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2014, 12:31:04 am »

Just tried Wireside. That could pretty easily be turned into a full-length game. Very impressive for something knocked out so quickly.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2014, 12:55:16 am »

Just tried Wireside. That could pretty easily be turned into a full-length game. Very impressive for something knocked out so quickly.
I've been wondering on that...
Are you all continuing Wireside? The concept is wonderful and it really feels cut off :/

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 28, 2014, 01:16:24 am »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:37:59 pm by Vector »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22