Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22

Author Topic: Victory Garden Games  (Read 39446 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Victory Garden Games
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2013, 08:27:59 pm »

I'd love to beta test, if that's a thing that's going to be happening. I enjoy finding weird bugs, typos, and such.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2013, 09:07:29 pm »

Remember what I mentioned about an inaugural game giveaway?  Well... here it is :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2013, 11:22:35 pm »

PTW; This sounds interesting.

This is basically my face all the time. --> :I
I dunno, I've seen your posts in the photo thread.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2013, 03:25:56 am »

* Skyrunner spins into the thread

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2013, 03:45:47 am »

...Why don't you help with the programming? O_o

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2013, 04:00:11 am »

PTW for sure, and I may have talents to offer at some point.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2013, 07:09:44 am »

...Why don't you help with the programming? O_o

Too dizzy from spinning.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2013, 07:30:54 am »

On our SS13 server, Glloyd is somewhat famous for his admin events.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2013, 08:30:32 am »

We do intend to build our own engine for some projects, though of course if there's something that can run our proposed games to the desired vision, we'll be using that.  So, for example, any visual novels we make are probably going to be coded in renpy, but our more innovative projects will probably require a more innovative engine :]

I looked into Renpy. It's pretty damn simple. That's the point of it, though. The extra Python capability is nice, but I'm not well-versed in Python, unfortunately.

To those of you offering your time and talents, thank you tons! Note that we're going to be looking primarily for coding talent (Java/OpenGL primarily, but open to suggestions!) in the short term. However, if you have talents you'd like to formally offer, feel free to put together a short letter of interest and a Portfolio or Curriculum Vitae, and PM it to me or Vector. We'll get in touch, and definitely keep you in mind!

How formal of a resume/portfolio/CV/etc. are we talking about? You want the real deal, or would just a list of skills/experience, time frames learned/used, etc. be sufficient? I ask because the latter is probably going to be a lot easier for me to come up with, since my resume is tailored for mechanical engineering with a programming focus rather than straight-up programming. Could probably include my legit resume as well. Just wondering.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2013, 02:39:06 pm »

To those of you who have already submitted CVs/portfolios and examples of your work, thanks a ton! We'll be looking to start scheduling interviews with folks in the near future. We'd also like to talk about some of the projects we have planned, to see if you think you'd be a good fit for them, and/or believe you can pick up the necessary skills.

How formal of a resume/portfolio/CV/etc. are we talking about? You want the real deal, or would just a list of skills/experience, time frames learned/used, etc. be sufficient? I ask because the latter is probably going to be a lot easier for me to come up with, since my resume is tailored for mechanical engineering with a programming focus rather than straight-up programming. Could probably include my legit resume as well. Just wondering.

With CVs/Portfolios, we're trying to gauge an applicant's experience level; some examples of your work would be preferred, but an outline that shows where your skills and experience are is enough for us to get an idea. I'm not a stickler for formality, so long as the information is there, and you're taking your application seriously!

Meh, just prototype your stuff with Construct 2. You can always hook in a decent programmer at a later date, when you actually have something to show off.

It's all about design, silly.
Okay, when was the last time you saw a game that had more depth than the average smartphone app? You do realize that this game making thingy is pretty much the worst possible utility to create narrative-driven games, right?

To be fair, Derek Yu used Gamemaker to create the original Spelunky; I think tools like that can be useful for some exercises, and even make solid finished games (Renpy was used to make Long Live the Queen, if I'm not mistaken). It all depends on whether we have the time and resources to code our own engine for specific projects, or need greater control over the end product than something like that can provide. That said, Java is pretty good for rapid-prototyping, and we've got a handful of Java-skilled candidates lined up. It's not necessarily the only language being considered, but it's a strong contender. And I am personally a fan of building our own engines so programmers maintain a higher degree of control and familiarity with it, and we can trim out as much bloat as possible.

This is basically my face all the time. --> :I
I dunno, I've seen your posts in the photo thread.

If it appeared that I was smiling, it was clearly a trick of the light. :I :I :I

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2013, 01:37:52 am »

If it appeared that I was smiling, it was clearly a trick of the light. :I :I :I
Well that's how I smile so that's a lot of tricks of light, even when there is very little light. :P
Solifuge is silly sometimes.  :D

Query though: If When you get to that first game o'yours, you are accepting...erm, 'beta' testers as I hear its termed?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2013, 04:39:01 am »

Shoot, I wanna alpha test hecks yes.

Brekin' all tha gaemz oop in heer

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2013, 11:55:17 pm »

Hehe.  Yeah, of course we're going to need beta testers!  That's a bit of a way off, though >_>  For now, we're working to finalize some documents so that we can be sure to be ready to start producing once all the talent's squared away.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2013, 01:37:22 am »

I might be able to help in a more helpfully way later, but for now I'm also part of the 'can test your broken alpha stuff' group.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2013, 04:54:32 pm »

Posting to watch.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22