Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: Victory Garden Games  (Read 39425 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Victory Garden Games
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 10:33:33 am »

Sounds great! I'm not too keen on narrative in games, but I've always got some love to give to B12 projects! :)

I'd definitely suggest going for some engine that's already good to go, like Unity or GameMaker. Developing an engine that's flexible takes a lot of time and effort, and reinventing the wheel when it's readily available for free is usually not worth it :)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 10:43:05 am »

Interesting! Posting to watch.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 10:46:01 am »

This will either go horribly or brilliantly. Either way I'll stick around to watch.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 10:50:51 am »

Vector and Solifuge team-up?! Beautiful! Ptw!!!
It's FEF, not FEOF

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 10:58:33 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh my god... thank you guys so much.  We'll let you know soon.  We've got to get the webpage up (and I've got a computer to finish assembling, LOL), but as soon as that's done, we're really looking forward to talking games with all y'all.

I'd definitely suggest going for some engine that's already good to go, like Unity or GameMaker. Developing an engine that's flexible takes a lot of time and effort, and reinventing the wheel when it's readily available for free is usually not worth it :)

We do intend to build our own engine for some projects, though of course if there's something that can run our proposed games to the desired vision, we'll be using that.  So, for example, any visual novels we make are probably going to be coded in renpy, but our more innovative projects will probably require a more innovative engine :]

Out of curiosity, does this have anything to with that math sim dating game thingy you were talking about a while back?

Yes and no.  That math dating game was what started Soli and I talking about game design, but we don't intend to make publishing VNs our main schtick.  Instead, I'll be working on Fundamental Theorem and another project or two on the side, as we focus on developing games that are a bit more, well, gamey.  You may not see Fundamental Theorem for a while, but it will be here eventually.

Heyyy, good on you! Always good to see more B12 projects. Now be sure to keep it moving and don't let it fall apart! :P

I'll say this: I'm intrigued. Hopefully you'll keep us up to date.

Don't worry on that!  This has been months in the making, and we have a fairly robust plan moving forward.  The dev blog is expected to be updated at least once a week by both of us, and we will keep you posted as to what's going on--even if it's only technical practice or somesuch.

Thank you for this outpouring of support, everyone... this is really incredible, and I'm grateful to you all for your good will and generosity.  We'll do our best to be sure that it's merited, and look forward to sharing more with you as it develops.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 12:07:41 pm »

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to learn more. Two awesome creators creating things is a good recipe.

Solifuge seems to already know how to do everything artwise that I do, however I'd still like to offer some help if you want it. If your portraits are reasonably low-res sprites (that is to say, low-res enough that pixel-level art is relevant), I might be able to lend a hand. Also, maps. Maps I can probably chip in on.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 01:27:21 pm »

Yep, going to be keeping an eye and a half on this. I look forward to seeing what you two and co. produce, Vector, Soli!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 01:33:04 pm »

I'm really happy that you're starting something and I hope you succeed in a big way. I'm sure there's an army of B12 forumites who would love to help in any way. You know you've got your testing covered at least!

Good luck!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 01:43:11 pm »

Curious to see what you guys come up with. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 01:50:40 pm »

I'm also willing to help if you need someone to do pixels. I like doing item and character sprites myself.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2013, 02:01:50 pm »

I'd love to help with the story of things and / or dialogue, but I'm 15, so eh.

Anyway, good luck to you guys.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 02:20:06 pm »

I can't resist the urge to refer to you as Vectory Garden Games.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 02:36:37 pm »

How many people on this forum are trying to be indie game devs at this point?

Well best of luck, Vector and Soli.  You two have always had a very good handle on the idea of what makes a game a game.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 02:38:11 pm »

Currently? Everybody, I believe.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 02:59:14 pm »

Currently? Everybody, I believe.
Probably at least the everybody near creative projects/other games, anyway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22