Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22

Author Topic: Victory Garden Games  (Read 39407 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Victory Garden Games
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2013, 09:14:35 pm »

This calls for celebratory Amiga tracker tunes!

If you intend to do 3d stuff (or to a certain extent 2d with shaders) and want it crossplatform, you may want to look into OpenGL.  Granted, using something like Unity is inherently easier to get started actually 'making' a game though, but if you intend to roll your own engine (and make it where you don't have to depend on someone else fixing their bugs or getting locked into buying upgrades or whatever) that would be where to start imo (and theres WebGL too, if you want that route).

Depending on a few factors, I'd like to focus development on Java, using LWJGL and OpenGL. It'll let us develop across a number of platforms, produce games as standalones, for the web, and for mobile devices too. Keeps things flexible, and keeps us from having to spend a huge amount of time porting individual projects, which will be a huge help while we're still getting established!

I can't resist the urge to refer to you as Vectory Garden Games.

I too have this problem, actually. :I

To those of you offering your time and talents, thank you tons! Note that we're going to be looking primarily for coding talent (Java/OpenGL primarily, but open to suggestions!) in the short term. However, if you have talents you'd like to formally offer, feel free to put together a short letter of interest and a Portfolio or Curriculum Vitae, and PM it to me or Vector. We'll get in touch, and definitely keep you in mind!

Ugh... been there and done that, on the sleepless nights of bug-hunting... and actually, I have been preparing myself to do this whole Indie Game Dev thing for most of my life. I've been studying, designing, and programming games since about 3rd grade, and so it continued for 2 decades. For some reason, I decided to ignore the years of learning programming languages and development tools as "just a hobby thing," and decided to go into the sciences instead. A few years back, I figured I'd ignored it long enough, and so I've been working full time with other developers in both graphics and game design, to learn the ins and outs of the business itself. At this point, I've spent plenty long enough training and practicing, and am ready to get started. Don't intend to strike it rich, but I do fully intend to help make memorable experiences that will make an impression on folks. And if I'm lucky, maaaybe I'll help games come across a bit more like Art while I'm at it.

Thank you so much for the support and kind words. I have every confidence that this venture is going to be particularly Amaziballer and/or Fuck Yeah.

P.S. I am a very serious developer, with a very serious face. This is basically my face all the time. --> :I

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2013, 09:16:19 pm »

P.S. I am a very serious developer, with a very serious face. This is basically my face all the time. --> :I

With such a serious face I can't see how you can possibly fail. Best of luck to you both!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2013, 11:57:46 pm »

* Descan posts something inane
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2013, 12:39:09 am »

* Sirus adds a mildly amusing anecdote
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2013, 01:19:29 am »

* Sirus adds a mildly amusing anecdote
* Darvi gives a snarky reply.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2013, 01:22:13 am »

So, on these Portfolio/CVs, since I ought to get written a design-oriented one of these things anyway. Should stuff be left out if it's already within your established talents, or should I submit everything for the sake of comparative advantage (that is, the stuff I'm best at might overlap heavily with what you can do, but by focusing on it myself, I can make the best contribution I can while freeing you to work on other things that I can't)?

It is a problem that the stuff I'm good at is the stuff you probably want to do yourselves anyway, and the stuff I'm terrible at is the stuff you need most. And since publication isn't a thing I've ever been involved in, it'll be more portfolio-themed, but eh.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2013, 01:26:43 am »

I don't know about other devs (if you're planning on applying elsewhere), but I personally would like to see the full picture.  We have particular needs right now, but we're playing the long game, not just the short one.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2013, 01:30:01 am »

I thought you were going to make games, not play them.

*ducks*

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2013, 01:36:07 am »

Note that we're going to be looking primarily for coding talent (Java/OpenGL primarily, but open to suggestions!)
Well you're in luck (or maybe I am? dunno), because I'm really good at Java/OpenGL/LWJGL. I may not have written any sort of larger game, but that's generally only due to lack of motivation and design documents; my base code (the one all my Java games use) is clean and supports large games already, and I'd be happy to share it with you. BRB, gonna slap together a portfolio (if you've been following the coder thread, you may have seen some of the examples already).

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2013, 03:31:35 am »

I'd love to help with the story of things and / or dialogue, but I'm 15, so eh.

Anyway, good luck to you guys.
Dude, I don't really think age matters here--to use an example, I was held in high-esteem in the field of literature by my friends and colleagues in High School at around that age due to my writing skills in English (primarily because of childhood stuffs which..aren't that mellow to remember). Anyway, I believe its just in how you develop your skills. :P

And I don't think Vector//Solifuge have anything wrong with the youth submitting anything for them.
...I felt old saying that, but not in a bad way..huh.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2013, 05:46:27 am »

Unfortunately not much to offer programming wise, and my design talents are probably vastly overshadowed by others. Unless you need any world building done I think I'll have to let you guys live the dream without me getting in the way :P
I'll happily chip in world building if you do need it though, because world building is a reward in itself :D
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2013, 05:58:44 am »

I'm more than willing to attempt to break your games for you.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2013, 06:41:23 am »

Meh, just prototype your stuff with Construct 2. You can always hook in a decent programmer at a later date, when you actually have something to show off.

It's all about design, silly.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2013, 06:45:47 am »

Meh, just prototype your stuff with Construct 2. You can always hook in a decent programmer at a later date, when you actually have something to show off.

It's all about design, silly.
Okay, when was the last time you saw a game that had more depth than the average smartphone app? You do realize that this game making thingy is pretty much the worst possible utility to create narrative-driven games, right?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22