Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What brought you to DF?  (Read 4729 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: What brought you to DF?
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 05:47:04 pm »

Found Masterwork DF and haven't looked back.

I would like it if you did.

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2014, 02:36:06 pm »

I was at church camp, And during the meteor storm that summer. 6-8 years ago) There was two guys in the dining hall playing it, I got the game from them and spent the rest of the week learning it.
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

stonewall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2014, 03:56:44 pm »

Searched for "free indie game" some time in 2010, found Dwarf Fortress through some list, completely lost it...

Ushram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 02:32:04 am »

back in 2009ish I saw my first DF joke while browsing a DDO forum. I checked out the DFwiki and quickly saw it was an  "ASCII" game, sighed and left the wiki. ( I put in enough time into games in the 80s and 90s with similar graphics, I really hate letters and other symbols graphics) Even though the ideas of the game and the mechanics looked awesome, I just could not bring myself to play an  "ASCII" game.

About a year ago, it was one of those random video Youtube days and I happened to come across VoV Plays Dwarf Fortress - Part 1 - YouTube but it had real graphics...I scratched my head, checked out wiki again, then saw that there were mods for the tile sets. I watched VoV's tutorial videos and played along, I have not stopped playing DF since then.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 11:41:37 pm »

back in 2009ish I saw my first DF joke while browsing a DDO forum. I checked out the DFwiki and quickly saw it was an  "ASCII" game, sighed and left the wiki. ( I put in enough time into games in the 80s and 90s with similar graphics, I really hate letters and other symbols graphics) Even though the ideas of the game and the mechanics looked awesome, I just could not bring myself to play an  "ASCII" game.

About a year ago, it was one of those random video Youtube days and I happened to come across VoV Plays Dwarf Fortress - Part 1 - YouTube but it had real graphics...I scratched my head, checked out wiki again, then saw that there were mods for the tile sets. I watched VoV's tutorial videos and played along, I have not stopped playing DF since then.
Lol when I first started playing I didn't realize it was ASCII until I actually embarked, and then I was like,"hey! Where're mah dorfs? What're these happy faces doing here?" It took me a few minutes to figure it out.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 12:51:06 am »

A friend showed it to me when I graduated high school. Such good times were had.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2014, 11:30:32 am »

Boatmurdered

I played quite a while ago. There were no hospital, necromancers or vampires, then I stopped.

And for little to no reason, I started again in 2012.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2014, 11:52:02 am »

I first touched it in the 2D days through the power of google, I think. Something about free indie games or roguelikes. Not really sure. Having no idea what I was doing, I forgot about it until about '08 or '09? It was after it had moved to 3D, at any rate, and suddenly the game made more sense. Been playing ever since. Joined the forums around mid-2010, I think.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2014, 09:04:20 pm »

I saw this image on 4chan:

Went to see what the fuzz was all about. Started reading about the game. Immediately shat my pants. Downloaded 40d (version before the current one; this was 2011). Started playing. Got hooked for days. Told my friends to stay the fuck away from the game until the current semester was over.

Needless to say, I didn't do too good at college in my next exams :V
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 10:19:19 pm »

The version before the current one was 31.25; 40d was from before 2010.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 10:33:19 pm »

Needless to say, I didn't do too good at college in my next exams :V

Heh, should have studied geology. :P

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2014, 12:57:48 am »

Back in the 2D days, I heard about a game that was hard.  Really hard.  I'm not sure where I heard about it, some forum somewhere on the internet.  But this intrigued me.

So I tried it.  I embarked, and after figuring out how to do something(anything), I set my miners to mining.  I also started building walls around the wagon.  I think it was listed as a 'room.'  Pretty soon my miners drowned as I dug into some water. (i had no idea how right i was playing the game, so i was a bit frustrated)

I didn't try again until 40d, then I used a tutorial and learned pretty quickly.

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2014, 12:58:46 am »

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2014, 05:17:10 pm »

I found DF when searching through roguelikes a while back. I saw somewhere that people said it was great, I read the wiki a little bit, then decided to give it a whirl. I have not been disappointed. Every few months or so I'll start up a fortress and ride it through till its conclusion, and I have to thank whoever wrote the positive reviews four years ago, because some of the stories I have from those fortresses will stick with me longer than some childhood memories.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2014, 05:04:15 pm »

The version before the current one was 31.25; 40d was from before 2010.
Oh sorry, true. I started on the 3rd version.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5