Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What brought you to DF?  (Read 4728 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What brought you to DF?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 01:04:18 am »

New York Times article on it. I'm too lazy to dredge up the link.

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 08:35:21 am »

I heard about it in 2006 by a friend at university. It sounded interesting but I didn't feel like climbing the famous learning curve.

One year ago I was looking for "old school" games when I somewere read the name "Dwarf fortress" and remembered the whole story.
After a short look into Gerugon's "Let's play" (german) on YouTube, I got infected...

Thanks, Gerugon! It's all your fault  ;)

Schmetterling905th

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 06:30:22 am »

Don't know which was first of either  in passing mentioned on The Game Station Podcast (now the Co-optional podcast) or /vg/ on 4Chan where I read some... fascinating stories about Dwarf Fortress, looked at it 1-1,5 years ago and dropped it quite quick. Kept reading about it though and gave it a new try this summer, addicted since.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 08:30:16 pm »

Jefmajor's letsplay.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 09:32:37 pm »

heard it's name, watched captnduck's tutorials, played.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 06:10:08 pm »

TvTropes for Artificial Stupidity. Such stupid, so wow. From there to the main page.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

laurief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 08:06:00 am »

Well when you hear about a game that scares away rogue-like players, you MUST give it a try :P

Anin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 12:55:48 pm »

I came across DF completey on a whim looking for fantasy games.  I came across the home site saw the graphic and downloaded it imeadiatly.  Played it for 6 months before I even realized there was a wiki to help out new players.
Standard DF procedure, people find bugs, report them and then proceed to kill Elves in creative ways with the bug until its resolved.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 04:07:40 pm »

Boatmurdered made me play Dwarf Fortress.

I found out about Dwarf Fortress at the same time I found out about Minecraft, on Shamus Young's Twenty Sided blog, but I played Minecraft first. Talk around Minecraft probably brought up Boatmurdered at some point.

I had been reading Twenty Sided because of Shamus Young's "DM of The Rings" series.

I learned about DM of The Rings through the Darths & Droids webcomic, which at the time was still on the Star Wars prequels.

I learned about Darths & Droids through TVTropes.

Oh my god—it all goes back to TVTropes. I thought I had escaped it...but...this whole time...oh my god...
I thought I found out about DF on Twenty Sided Blog too. But his first post sounds really unfamiliar and it's 2009-11-12, when I created my account 2008-05-13, and I know I was playing it for at least a couple months or more before I delurked and joined the forum. It also predates the TPS comics.

I know I was already playing DF when I read Boatmurdered.

At the time I would have been out of school for a couple years, having just left work at a lens manufacturer and starting work at a desk job downtown. By then I was out of the Ultima Online emulator community, not yet into the OSR D&D blogging community, but into various webcomics and stuff.

Specifically, in the midst of Achewood but post-B3TA and Weebl, and at the tail end of enjoying Homestar Runner.

Which is to say, in sum, that I don't remember anything and had to use Wikipedia and my resume to figure any of this out.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 05:21:45 am »

Boatmurdered and several mentionings in Videogame websites.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 04:57:57 pm »

Brother shown it at me, I think he found it when he saw it at minecraft site, I got hooked at boatmurdere.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 07:37:28 pm »

I don't remember, probably a search for a game I might enjoy?  I started on 40d (was there a 28 something or other as a stable release that had z-levels?), stable with z levels.  My most unliked change over the years is that you can cut anything into a gem nowadays.  Whippersnappers lazy gemcutters can't bother to find a real gem ... bah!  Cabochon granite!  Pfaw!

I keep coming back to it partly because of the enjoyment, but I'd be lying if I denied partly a sense of pride that I am among the few that can enjoy DF.  If other games claim to be a sandbox, DF is the whole Sahara!

Many folks mentioned coming to DF after minecraft - funny, I tried minecraft after DF and just didn't like minecraft at all.  Too graphical.  Missed seeing gggT and knowing my moat wasn't gonna help me.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 07:44:18 pm »

A google search for roguelikes piqued my interest.  Then CaptnDuck's Let's Play series and the Saga of Boatmurdered convinced me to give it a try. 

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 08:06:47 pm »

I saw it in a list of free games and I thought "hey, whats that."
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 10:15:41 pm »

I was playing Guild Wars with some random guys looking for a DPS, and after a particularly eventful fight, one of them said "It's like Boatmurdered out here!". I asked what boatmurdered was, and he explain to me in amazing, glorious detail. I got onto the game, declared it far too hard, and forgot about it. Some time later, I dug it back up after seeing an absolutely amazing description on Cracked I can't seem to dig back up, and played the hell out of it.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5