Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Five Banners, EoFS remake in progress (take to the seas)  (Read 15947 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: I've been learning to program and remaking Emperor of the Fading Suns
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 07:10:17 pm »

You can keep proscribed tech in the game by making the inquisitions attack planets on which proscribed units or buildings are present unless and until they repent. So if someone's producing Plague Bombs on Cadavus, they can expect a visit of the inquisition to that planet unless they disband all plague bombs and pay an apropriate amount of FBs. Of course the Church can only react to proscribed techs that it has detected, so if you can keep your labs hidden from their eyes and the eyes of those who might want to tip the Church off, you can get away with it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:14:00 pm by Virex »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 10:08:46 pm »

How important do people think randomly generated maps are?  Right now I'm doing a setup where the game reads maps from text files, should I continue along these lines or should I go for random maps?

I think randomly generated maps can be more trouble than they're worth to get to the point that they're playable.  EoFS had the freedom to be unique with it's map, where it had a collection of statically-designed planets, but you could choose to have them (and their special goodies) scattered around instead of the predetermined map.  With enough planets, just shuffling them around like that sufficiently randomizes the map to keep the game fresh for human players.

The one hitch I guess is the starting planets, since those are obviously the ones every player is always going to be familiar with.  I don't see this as a problem, since choosing your faction is largely a question of which starter planet you want anyway, especially with technology removed and the option to choose your traits.

Speaking of technology, you might go for a route like Imperium Galactica, where you don't really have to "research" technology, instead you have to build enough tech-structures to directly represent the economic development needed to build stuff, beyond just the material cost.  Advanced assembly lines aren't free after all, just having the materials to produce a Megatank doesn't mean you have a factory that can build one.

I also love the idea of interplanetary transport being made with structures instead of the crazy Pony Express shit you could do with EoFS transports, and the way it's impossible to blockade stuff from leaving a planet.  However, I do think it should be within the player's power to transport units themselves - you have to pay the Guild to taxi you around until you can afford to build your own freighter network.  But the question is, how do you determine where your guys will land?  And if you follow my idea of eventually having your own transports, how do you pick your guys back up at will?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 11:09:15 pm »

How important do people think randomly generated maps are?  Right now I'm doing a setup where the game reads maps from text files, should I continue along these lines or should I go for random maps?

I think randomly generated maps can be more trouble than they're worth to get to the point that they're playable.  EoFS had the freedom to be unique with it's map, where it had a collection of statically-designed planets, but you could choose to have them (and their special goodies) scattered around instead of the predetermined map.  With enough planets, just shuffling them around like that sufficiently randomizes the map to keep the game fresh for human players.

The one hitch I guess is the starting planets, since those are obviously the ones every player is always going to be familiar with.  I don't see this as a problem, since choosing your faction is largely a question of which starter planet you want anyway, especially with technology removed and the option to choose your traits.

That's good to know.  I didn't actually realize that was how EOFS randomize worked.  It fits nicely into the hex format I'm using for space since it's easy to randomly assign locations on a grid.  The jump routes thing is definitely out, that was hella ugly.  Unfortunately my foray into map making so far has proven that it's quite slow.  Hopefully that wont be so much of a problem beyond earth where the maps will be smaller (no need to fit 5 players into the eastern hemisphere while leaving the sacred continent unsettled) and won't need to reflect earth landmasses.

Speaking of technology, you might go for a route like Imperium Galactica, where you don't really have to "research" technology, instead you have to build enough tech-structures to directly represent the economic development needed to build stuff, beyond just the material cost.  Advanced assembly lines aren't free after all, just having the materials to produce a Megatank doesn't mean you have a factory that can build one.

I feel like the production chains can do that, balanced correctly.  I intend for basic production (farming and mining) to be the reliable sources of money.  Basic production (ceramsteel, electronics) will have a maintenance cost that means it's only slightly profitable if you sell to the guild, you only want these for your own personal uses.  Advanced production (monopoles, singularities, wetware) can't even be sold to the guild for enough to pay for the maintenance costs.  But the guild will only offer each player a small trickle of these goods, making their production viable if you or another player wants more than that trickle.  The costs of maintaining these expensive industries are what simulates higher or lower tech levels.  It's all supported by a large rural resource base like a feudal empires where the artisans were far outnumbered by the peasants.

I also love the idea of interplanetary transport being made with structures instead of the crazy Pony Express shit you could do with EoFS transports, and the way it's impossible to blockade stuff from leaving a planet.  However, I do think it should be within the player's power to transport units themselves - you have to pay the Guild to taxi you around until you can afford to build your own freighter network.  But the question is, how do you determine where your guys will land?  And if you follow my idea of eventually having your own transports, how do you pick your guys back up at will?

Landings I am thinking are either done at a friendly spaceport or done anywhere for hazard payrates.  Launches are always from spaceport.

Well I was thinking that players could make their own transports for reasons of secrecy, no hazard pay and blockade running.  They would however be more expensive then guild transport normally, making them a luxury, not a standard thing.  The notion is that the guild specializes in transport, you can't do it better then them.  If you want to make your own transports you are intentionally subsidizing a more expensive alternative for some reason.  But I see this as a stretch goal, it's something to work on after the game is up and running, not before.

You can keep proscribed tech in the game by making the inquisitions attack planets on which proscribed units or buildings are present unless and until they repent. So if someone's producing Plague Bombs on Cadavus, they can expect a visit of the inquisition to that planet unless they disband all plague bombs and pay an apropriate amount of FBs. Of course the Church can only react to proscribed techs that it has detected, so if you can keep your labs hidden from their eyes and the eyes of those who might want to tip the Church off, you can get away with it.

That's a good idea.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 11:19:46 pm »

I know it is already too early to be talking about this, but when will you be allowing people to suggest the "lore" for your game? I ask this because it is the "lore" that makes reading game logs interesting. I already got some ideas stemming from your proposal to have The Church's orders serve as ministry positions, but actually developing those ideas might be a waste of time better spent waiting for the game to be developed first (and seeing what is finally accepted).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:23:36 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 02:30:49 am »

I know it is already too early to be talking about this, but when will you be allowing people to suggest the "lore" for your game? I ask this because it is the "lore" that makes reading game logs interesting. I already got some ideas stemming from your proposal to have The Church's orders serve as ministry positions, but actually developing those ideas might be a waste of time better spent waiting for the game to be developed first (and seeing what is finally accepted).

Oh I have hella lore man.  For me dreaming up lore is a nice relaxing activity it's figuring out the damn coding syntax that's hard.  Not to say that I'm not open to suggestions.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 11:36:47 am »

Got it. I'll just post this idea then so I'll get out of my mind, but you're free to ignore...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:38:26 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 01:57:19 pm »

I'm not really comfortable stealing Holistic's universe wholesale, they're still around and publishing books.  It's just not a very polite thing to do, legality aside...

Spoiler: "my planned lore" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:59:13 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 07:43:23 pm »

Your lore is actually very plausible and interesting. I like it. I particularly like the fact that even though the Prophet means well, she is fallible and makes mistakes from time to time.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 07:33:57 pm »

New version up which has a lot of useful but not very obvious work involving exporting data to text files where it can be modded and making it so maps are less graphically wasteful and prone to crashing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3vdHCmP0WVNMnQzTFpGMUVIdWM/edit?usp=sharing

I figure next thing I'll try to do is get this thing into an executable so people without python 3.x installed on their computers can run it.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Five Banners, EoFS remake in progress by me (working exe!) (baby steps!) (yay!)
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 11:48:28 am »

Finally managed to make an executable!  Yay!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3vdHCmP0WVNWU5iT3R0d3hOTzg/edit?usp=sharing

Just unzip and run the exe file.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:58:30 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile

I got an error message on trying to run it saying that it's not compatible with the version of Windows I'm running (32-bit Vista). Presumably, this was - unintentionally or not - compiled to be played on machines with a 64-bit OS. Or else the compiling just went wonky.  :-\
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got it to work, and I do have a request that the battle report is a bit more...clearer on what side is fighting what. All I get is reports about Militias shooting Militias until the stack is emptied (presumbly because I killed them all). I'm assuming you're working on that too.

Also, is map meant to be a demo or the final size of a planet? Small planets (each possessing one or two key resource points) might actually be fairly interesting as it will encourage people to start shooting each other, but I could see you having difficulty reflecting Holy Terra's geography in only a few hexes. You do have the excuse, however, of the lore. The Demons could take over Terra and prevents the Guild from travelling there.

Still, I'm impressed with the combat system, the movement point system, and terrain system. Well, I shouldn't be, but the fact that it exist is shocking for someone who follows game projects occasionally and never see them release anything.

EDIT: Also, the empty "stack 1" disappears after being empty after a turn or so.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:13:13 am by Servant Corps »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I got an error message on trying to run it saying that it's not compatible with the version of Windows I'm running (32-bit Vista). Presumably, this was - unintentionally or not - compiled to be played on machines with a 64-bit OS. Or else the compiling just went wonky.  :-\

I did assume that most people would be on 64 bit systems.  I'm not really sure how to compile a 32 bit exe on my 64 bit system.  If you were really interested you could always install python and doubleclick the .py file but tbh the program isn't all that urgently interesting yet.

Also, is map meant to be a demo or the final size of a planet? Small planets (each possessing one or two key resource points) might actually be fairly interesting as it will encourage people to start shooting each other, but I could see you having difficulty reflecting Holy Terra's geography in only a few hexes.

I've actually got the game set up to handle different sizes of map.  I was thinking that Holy Terra would be one of the large planets while most planets would be small, centered around a few resources (and have low populations.)  Then there would be a few quite large planets that would be most useful as industrial bases since they'd have the most cities.

I got it to work, and I do have a request that the battle report is a bit more...clearer on what side is fighting what. All I get is reports about Militias shooting Militias until the stack is emptied (presumbly because I killed them all). I'm assuming you're working on that too.

I was planning on getting different player colors and unit interactions (dont shoot your own) next but I can do battle clarity after that.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile

I did assume that most people would be on 64 bit systems.  I'm not really sure how to compile a 32 bit exe on my 64 bit system.  If you were really interested you could always install python and doubleclick the .py file but tbh the program isn't all that urgently interesting yet.

Will 3.3 overwrite 2.7 when I install it?
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

It wont but you'll need to use the command prompt and specify 3.3.

Or use this 2.7 version I have sitting around: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3vdHCmP0WVNYTBXdEQ2dlF5akU/edit?usp=sharing

-------------

I realized that I forgot to update all parts of my code to a change in the graphical handling that I made.  As a result you couldn't see units when switching back from starview.  Now fixed:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3vdHCmP0WVNLVFaVUFZSWRicVU/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:56:38 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4