Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: You are King: New Realms: OOC Thread  (Read 14418 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King: New Realms: OOC Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 06:09:57 pm »

YaK V is fine Iituem. Since there was technically two YaK 4s :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2013, 06:21:21 pm »

My vote goes to the Grand Principality and polytheism.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:43:44 pm by Shootandrun »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2013, 07:03:44 pm »

As a possible framework to go off, here's a rough concept for thirteen deities; six and six and one.  Six are of the court of the sky (effectively Olympian), and civilisation, while six are of the deep earth (Cthonic) and the passions that underlie humanity.  One, the Trickster, unites the two by being both and neither.

[Craft Goddess] presides over handiwork and craftsmanship of all kinds, and of construction and artifice in general.
[Destruction God] presides over war, conquest and annihilation.
[Reason God] covers intellectual pursuits, mathematics and scholarship.
[Inspiration Goddess] focuses on artistic creation, the subconscious and dreams.
[Fealty God] presides over marriage, loyalty, faith, oaths and trust.
[Passion Goddess] evokes lust, love, strong emotions, terror and insanity.
[Justice Goddess] stands for justice, balance and mercy.
[Retribution God] upholds vengeance, retribution, violence and ensuring insults are punished.
[Harvest Goddess] stands guard over crops, pastures, livestock, births and children.
[Storm God] looks after the wilds, the seas, ships, storms and sailors.
[Door-God] stands in liminal spaces, between doorwars, on the edges of life and death.  His demesne is fortune and chance.
[Death-Goddess] sits firmly in the absolute, the certain.  She presides over the underworld, and her demesne is fate and inevitability.

The Trickster holds sway over lies and deceptions of all kinds, but also over truth.  In the mythology, he betrays the Old Gods for the New Gods because the Old Gods never treated him (or her) as one of their own.  The New Gods end up distrusting the Trickster equally, and he/she remains an outcast.

As a result of the Trickster's deception, so mythology holds, the Elder Gods who once ruled earth and sky were forced into the depths of the earth and the seas while the Younger Gods took command of the skies and surface.

Worship of the Younger Gods tends to be open and public, with temples that reach towards the skies and elaborate ceremonies, while worship of the Elder Gods is often private and conducted personally or in small cults.  Temples tend to be secret, or erected ad-hoc for ceremonies, but some of the Elder Gods, such as the Passion Goddess, are openly worshipped under the right circumstances (such as at feasts).

Just something we could work off, if we felt like it.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 07:10:49 pm »

... :O

I think I may use that regardless of the kingdom :D

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2013, 02:42:10 am »

Hi Iiteum! :D

I'll..check up on the thread later due to the long lapse in my absence. That ok with you, Tari?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2013, 04:27:15 am »

Let's just return to Taloisism from the first game. The name may be a mouthful, but by the Bright One, the wiki page is surely still somewhere. Still proud of that creation myth.

EDIT: I'm all for polytheism, gives chance to create the best myths. Also, I loved dealing with the spirits and religion of You are Lord 2, so I'm hoping we could have actual godly influence, sometimes. Nothing direct or major, but sacred revelations, visions, blessings after praying/sacrifices, and so on. Not as a huge part of the game, but there.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 05:38:44 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2013, 07:13:07 am »

Fine with me Tiruin :P

And DH, any godly influence would be me smiting any rulebreakers out of existance. Nothing more :P

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2013, 03:20:41 pm »

Another Character more fitting to Iituems theme
Spoiler:  Wilk the Daggeroak (click to show/hide)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2013, 04:25:25 pm »

Now, we say medium principality, but how many parcels are we talking here? Also, are we assuming that some lords already have been settled or was the civil war enough to sweep away everyone and give the prince clean slate to distribute the land?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2013, 05:15:01 pm »

Now, we say medium principality, but how many parcels are we talking here? Also, are we assuming that some lords already have been settled or was the civil war enough to sweep away everyone and give the prince clean slate to distribute the land?

I'm assuming most lords are already settled, and there are a dozen claim disputes in progress.  Things should be pretty messy, and the Prince have fairly limited power, or at least only so much to bargain with.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2013, 03:48:37 pm »

Iituem - what would you say is the kingdom's stance on non-humans? I'm considering playing one, but I want to know which doors are closed (or opened) by that choice.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2013, 04:01:19 pm »

I would suggest racist, but not xenophobic.  Traders and labourers are permitted for the goods and services they bring, but there is a strong undercurrent of "go back where you came from", even despite the cheap labour and exotic goods made available.  A non-human courtier would be like a Moor in a 14th Century European court.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2013, 04:03:43 pm »

This only highlights another question though; Which races are "native" to the kingdom, and which are "foreign", so to speak.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2013, 04:16:38 pm »

Dryads, Treemen, Nymphs, Satyrs and Minotaurs need to be considered native or even holy after all thats what i am protecting in those forests...

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2013, 05:09:35 pm »

What about civilized people like Elves and dwarves? Are humans later migrants to an already settled land or how does the demographic history of the country look like? I wanted to play something other than wholly human and based on your description it should be doable.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:34:23 pm by Ardas »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20