Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Orbtrances 2  (Read 6344 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Orbtrances 2
« on: December 17, 2013, 07:48:39 pm »

A long time ago, there was a fortress known as Orbtrances.  Founded by seven dwarves fleeing the destruction of their home, its life story has become legend among us dwarves.  From its humble beginnings in the middle of a barren desert, it rose to become one of the shining lights of dwarvenkind, a beacon of calm in an oasis of warfare.  It's military was stronger than that of most mountainhomes, it exported crafts of such quality it could drive a dwarf mad.  For many years the light burned, becoming stronger.

Nobody knew why Orbtrances fell.  Many scholars have postulated theories, but the only ones who know for sure... well, they are no longer in the land of the living.

Some say that the goblins, tired of their defeats, joined together and amassed an army so great that not even Orbtrances could fight it.  They point to the massive number of goblin and dwarf skeletons found outside the fortress for their proof.  Others say that the fortress fell from within, with its greatest warriors going rogue and killing all in their path.  While no dwarf has ever seen the inside of Orbtrances, local legend tells of hearing screams from withing, mingled with the roars of angry dwarves.

There are some who whisper that the cause of demise was far more sinister than it seems.  They tell stories of demonic hordes surging up from beneath the earth, tearing dwarves apart in their lust for freedom.  They point to the small amount of adamantine that was given to the last caravan to leave Orbtrances.  They say that the dwarves must have dug too deep, releasing the horrors within the earth.

A few theorists speculate that the great warriors of Orbtrances led the entire fortress into the abyss, intent on conquest or death.  With their mighty army, they swept into hell, slaying demons left and right.

What do I think, you ask?  Well, young one, there are many more intellectually gifted than I who say that I have no right to an opinion on the matter.

You still want to know?  Very well.  But first, there is another story I must relate to you.

It is the story of the second Orbtrances.

As you may have guessed from the title, this is the sequel to the orbtrances game.  The rise, decline, and fall of that fortress is detailed on the original thread, which I will link to eventually.  In the meantime, by popular request, here is the sequel.

The rules:
1. Each turn is one year, and you have one week to complete your turn.  This can be extended by up to two days on two conditions: a. you must have posted at least one season already and b. you must request an extension.
2. Turns will be given in order that they are requested with one exception: overseer requests by those who did not take part in the original orbtrances thread will be given priority in turn order.  There will be two seperate overseer lists: new overseers and old overseers.  When your turn finishes, if there is someone on the new overseer list who has not yet had a turn, kindly yield the turn to them, unless you cannot take a turn after them for unfortunate RL reasons.
3. Anyone may request a dwarf.  All that I ask is that you give a small amount of background to your dwarf.  Narratives are not required but are highly recommended, as part of the problem on the original thread was a lack of updates by everyone (including me).
4. DF Hack may only be used for bugfixes, such as the command tweak fixmigrant.  No, the elves not sending diplomats is not a bug.
5. No cheats/exploits.  Yes, danger rooms are considered an exploit by me.
6. No intentionally wrecking the fortress.

That's about it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 09:46:29 am by 4maskwolf »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orbtrances 2
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:51:19 pm »

Reserved for dwarf and overseer list.

Turn list (new overseers)
1. Generic Wizard
2. Jerbot
3. Getix Kain

Turn list (old overseers)
1. 4maskwolf
2. ShadowHammer
3. DarkArtemisFowl
4. Grimmash

Overall turn list:
1. 4maskwolf 1 2save
2. Generic Wizard
3. Jerbot
4. ShadowHammer
5. DarkArtemisFowl
6. Grimmash
7. Getix Kain

Dwarf list:
1. Maskwolf (4maskwolf)
2. Hezekiah (DarkArtemisFowl)
3. ShadowHammer (ShadowHammer)
4. Ulengkosak (Grimmash)
5. Gene (Generic Wizard)
6. Solymr (Solymr)
7. Jerbot (Jerbot)

Community posts:
DarkArtemisFowl: Backstory
ShadowHammer: Backstory
Dwarf picture
Grimmash: Backstory
GenericWizard: Backstory
Solmyr: Backstory
4maskwolf: Backstory
Jerbot: Backstory
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:09:48 pm by 4maskwolf »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:56:29 pm »

Reserved for dwarf and overseer list.
Could I have a turn?

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 07:57:21 pm »

In.

Dwarf me as Hezekiah, please. Preferably a stoneworker, but I can be swordsman too.

Male please.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:58:16 pm »

Certainly.  Also, remember to include a backstory.  And, for shadowhammer, skills.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 08:01:26 pm »

Got it.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 09:23:42 pm »

Dorf and turn, please.  I'll write the dwarf to whatever you give me.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 10:47:30 pm »

Certainly.  Also, remember to include a backstory.  And, for shadowhammer, skills.
Backstory will be posted soon, but for skills, full time hammer dwarf please.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 08:08:19 pm »

So... How's it coming, mask?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 08:11:34 pm »

Well, for one,
.  For another, yes, it'll start soon.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 11:54:07 pm »

Well, for one,
.  For another, yes, it'll start soon.
Point taken.

Shadowhammer had always stood apart; he had never worked together with anyone, never played together with anyone, only ever fought with them, whether he was fighting side by side or not. Perhaps that was because that's all he ever did, was fight, or train to. Few of the other children were ever friends with him, because he was always sparring with his pet dog,(please and thank you), learning to fight. It wasn't that he was mean or rude or haughty, he just never talked to them, and they returned the favour. He fought with a hammer and shield, and he joined the embark group to avenge his fallen homeland. He has a very strong sense of honor.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:33:08 pm by ShadowHammer »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 12:10:03 am »

Thank you Shadowhammer.  Waiting on DarkArtemisFowl and myself, Grimmash made an implied promise to do it after I gave him a dwarf.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 12:23:30 am »

I have heard the ancient stories.  They tell of a long-abandoned fortress, its only entrance long since covered by the shifting sands.  They say it was as a diamond amid onyx, shining amid the darkness.  They say that in dwarvenkind's darkest hour, the greatest warriors of this fortress will rise again, to fight the battles dwarvenkind cannot.

Me, I don't put much stock in ancient legends and old myths.  I am a scientist, I put stock in what I can see, in what I can measure.  Nonetheless, as all science dwarves know, there are some things that cannot be explained by what we know.  The existence of adamantine, for one.  I have made it my duty to search for answers, to find the secrets that elude all others.

To this end, I have created a device that should be able to locate these anomalies, pin them down.  It needs fine-tuning, however, and the only way to do that is with field testing.  I have gathered together a group of dwarves to this end, to create an outpost from which to test the device.

In honor of the stories, I have decided to name the outpost "Orbtrances".  Others say it is bad luck to name a fortress after such a place, but I don't take stock in superstition either.  We head out tomorrow, device in tow, and may it be so that the device works as anticipated.

Generic Wizard

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Could be anyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 08:59:14 am »

I think I'm interested in a turn and a dwarf. Call him "Gene" and have him a (preferably male) miner.

Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 09:46:07 am »

welcome aboard, generic wizard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5