Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 174642 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [WARLOCK] - Day 19 - Beta V0.4 - Enchanter, Scalps and Academy.
« Reply #720 on: January 19, 2014, 05:41:01 pm »

I just had this vision of Warlocks as DF forum members... discussing horrendous tortures, horrible infections, new magics to fuck with dwarves and humans... all in the name of !!SCIENCE!!

But they'd never insult your mother. Perfectly gentlemanly and polite for the most part.

Since we are already on the topic: How about a new branch of solid warlock industry: Prisoners.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:43:35 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 19, 2014, 05:53:07 pm »

Wow. So much better and well thought out. Instead of Martyrs Last Rutes however, how about a proper execution chamber/sacrificial table. Give out some benefits, too.
Executions were basically a public holiday in ye olde England - a family day out. And the South Americans were always finding new and inventive ways to rip hearts out before the masses. Give players different execution methods, say. Each one gives a bonus to the crowd (i.e operator gets free action interaction lasting 100 ticks to bestow benefits like speed boosts etc) and/or appease the gods (do warlocks believe) eg. cut enemy stats. Possible? Sound any good?
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #722 on: January 19, 2014, 06:00:42 pm »

Its a kill room, yeah. Should give the ritual knife something to do. Better names are welcome, I literally just whipped these concepts up on the go. I have nothing written down but that pictures.

It might be possible to search prisoners for items, corrupt prisoners into ghouls... I also very much would like for prisoners that die from starvation (e.g. the player neglected his duties) to come back as some form of poltergeist that topples buildings/workshops. I think thats possible by spawning a friendly (!) buildingdestroyer 2. You would have to actively hunt them down.

Prisoners should also be available for attacks by undeads, so you have to build the prison area walled off from the zombies somewhere.

Raiding system is something I want to try tomorrow. But I need sleep now.

DISCUSS AWAY TILL THEN! :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

We should have a building for rendering ghosts down into souls. Difficult, but profitable. Or turning them into Soulsteel or something? Maybe some kind of trap that has to be activated by a lever? But sucks all ghosts into it within a certain range? Creating several phylacteries?

Definitely think the Martyr's Last Rights should be a Sacrificial Alter instead.

Are prisoners captured during raids? Or can we convert attackers into prisoners?

Is a separate set of rooms used for Ghoulifying? And if so, are any special reagents needed? (would be interesting if evil plants were necessary to do it quickly, while a longer term process would do it slowly over time?)

How is information used? Is it an item? So we get 'information on X' that is used as a process of launching a raid upon another place? And what kind of building is used for launching raids?

Prisoners should also be used for experiments. Can they be used to speed up spell research somehow? Kill them and research speed increases? You still get the soul, but you only have a small percentage of meat, bones, and scalp.

edit: Also, what's the sprite for the Overlord look like? Going to base him on the Overlord from the games by the same name? Cause that'd be awesome. I take it he's transformed on the Skull throne?

Also, are the Death/Famine/Plague/War positions transformations like the Overlord? Their own castes? Or are they just positions? It won't change how I plan to change them, but it'd be interesting if War caused a random enemy to berserk around him (attacking friend and foe), Plague to release a horrible syndrome, Famine to sap the energy from foes, and Death to just suck the souls out of people.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:39:23 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

A few thoughts on the Torture system:

1 Some kind of truth potion thing which guaranteed gives you information for raids and does no damage to the prisoner. Moderately expensive to make.

2 You could huskify them and use them as weapons against your enemies.

3 Would it be possible to have scalps of the race the prisoner is intimidate him enough to give information? Like showing a human prisoner a human scalp would either intimidate him into giving information for free or horrify him enough to break out.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

I have some questions.

...Yup. Sounds good to me.
I have runes for weapons and armor, but they dont add interactions. Only tags, like NOFEAR or NOSLEEP and such. I wanted to do a Thaumaturg for dwarves that makes magical items for ... a long time, but never got around doing it. But I will certainly add something like this for Warlocks. The spiked and skin-decorated armor works the same way.

Cool. Do like. I'm going to try and mainly focus on gauntlets, for 'active' powers for now.
Do you think I should start up a dev thread (to help keep me motivated) in general modding?

It looks like the runes are applied as contaminants. Do they wash off if the items end up in water or magma?

Do the prisoners remain in cages, or does the Prison Cell actually hold them?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Three Blind Mice running on a keyboard.
    • View Profile

so the prisoner ==> skeleton idea via the torture chamber building group was discarded? damn.

thought it'd be something like:

Insert Prisoner. run reaction(at a cost of some type). drops meat and new Skeleton, using soul bones and totemable head to make Urist McBones (or just not dropping them to represent it)

other than that, I am blown away Meph. Nicely done.
RegalDoom! The Little Warlock Who Could!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137494.0

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Day 18 - Beta V0.4 - Minions. And Super-High-Tier workshop
« Reply #727 on: January 19, 2014, 08:19:00 pm »

It looks like the runes are applied as contaminants. Do they wash off if the items end up in water or magma?

I was worried about that too.
Add Spatter

This plugin makes reactions with names starting with SPATTER_ADD_ produce contaminants on the items instead of improvements. The produced contaminants are immune to being washed away by water or destroyed by the clean items command.

:)
Spooky Signature

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so the prisoner ==> skeleton idea via the torture chamber building group was discarded? damn.

I don't believe so.

It might be possible to search prisoners for items, corrupt prisoners into ghouls
Spooky Signature

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have some questions.

Do the prisoners remain in cages, or does the Prison Cell actually hold them?

I believe it says the prisoners would be an animal that you pasture on top of the prison cell building or dug-out jail cells.
Spooky Signature

wrightly678

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Prison system looks great, I love the idea of luring people into the lair as
a primary industry for souls and what not.

But I'm some what concerned about how exactly prisoners are captured. Do we just spam cage traps and sit inside a cave then walk out and collect the meat bags? I mean don't get me wrong cage traps are kinda awesome, but they're very cheap (1 mechanism and a wooden cage) so they can be easily spammed and they're removed from the base.

Why send 20 warlocks to battle invaders when you can just route them over 50 cage traps, heck if you send the warlock's the invaders die on the field and you won't catch any, leaving your soul industry empty, so you really have to step back and let the cages handle it. This creates a distance between the Fort/Coven/Lair and the battle that might reduce the potential FUN!, Dragon just got past the cage traps? Lock him out with a bridge.

I think there should be a common-ish way for your troops to capture enemies so that sending skeletons/ghouls/warlocks is more attractive to your soul industry than just spamming cage-traps

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Prison system looks great, I love the idea of luring people into the lair as
a primary industry for souls and what not.

But I'm some what concerned about how exactly prisoners are captured.

I think there should be a common-ish way for your troops to capture enemies so that sending skeletons/ghouls/warlocks is more attractive to your soul industry than just spamming cage-traps

I believe Meph said something about a raiding system via workshop in future a la orc. I think they would be captured in reactions in the yet to be implemented raiding buildings. I think you may also be able to turn caged  invaders into prisoners.
Spooky Signature

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trying out the latest test-version (4) so far... Loving it, but a few questions:

1. What stockpile setting for Souls/phylacteries?
2. Where do I produce the magic weapon's ammo?

So far my only problem has been a vampire drinking out a ghoul instead of the available blood or bloodwine. Guess I need to rush that vampire lair to force that.

Second has been my slowness on figuring out I should use Warlocks and Ghouls for early labor items too.  I relied only on my initial 2 skeletons and it's been slow going.  The 2 ghouls hunted (only snakes!) and the Vampire and two Witches just hauled stuff.

My ghouls also been getting really upset from rain, is that moddable to make them not care about any rain?  Not sure why'd they care.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

HAHA In my first fort ,I fail for this too "Oh I lost all my goul I can't do butcher now, ABANDON THE FORT!!" :-[
The very specific cast of warlock society did fool me.
I think meph should write something in the manual like "What if I told you, you can assign miner job to warlock and goul too  8)"

Question:
1. Is there anyway to deal with constructed skelaton ghost, because I can't engrave their name.
2.Which stockpile are paper and ink belong to?
3.Please give warlock red carpet, My tower seem empty without it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:53:54 am by Nuttycompa »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

HAHA In my first fort ,I fail for this too "Oh I lost all my goul I can't do butcher now, ABANDON THE FORT!!" :-[
The very specific cast of warlock society did fool me.
I think meph should write something in the manual like "What if I told you, you can assign miner job to warlock and goul too  8)"

Question:
1. Is there anyway to deal with constructed skelaton ghost, because I can't engrave their name.
2.Which stockpile are paper and ink belong to?
3.Please give warlock red carpet, My tower seem empty without it.
Maybe a little hint about the jobs. ^^ I think I only say that they cant learn them, but of course they can still do them at minimum skill.

1. crap. I hoped the noemotion took ghosts away from them. I dont think I can affect that. The only way if to use dfhack manually with fixdead. see the dfhack readme on how to deal with ghosts.
2. same as dwarf mode: "library supply" material. Ink should just be "ink" in the material. I am not sure to be honest.
3. red carpet can be done. I can even make it take on the color of its build-mat, but if I do that its no longer free. What should it be? Free red carpet, or 1-block-colored carpet?

Trying out the latest test-version (4) so far... Loving it, but a few questions:

1. What stockpile setting for Souls/phylacteries?
2. Where do I produce the magic weapon's ammo?

So far my only problem has been a vampire drinking out a ghoul instead of the available blood or bloodwine. Guess I need to rush that vampire lair to force that.

Second has been my slowness on figuring out I should use Warlocks and Ghouls for early labor items too.  I relied only on my initial 2 skeletons and it's been slow going.  The 2 ghouls hunted (only snakes!) and the Vampire and two Witches just hauled stuff.

My ghouls also been getting really upset from rain, is that moddable to make them not care about any rain?  Not sure why'd they care.
1. souls cant be stockpiled. phylactieries sould go into tool stockpiles that only accept "material:soul".
2. nowhere yet. hasnt been added so far. Its for the libraries or enchanter. Maybe some low-level ammo, who knows.

cant affect ghoul thoughts about rain. They just dont like getting clean, you know? :P

@Prisoners: They are pets, made in reactions from the raiding system. You might still be able to use captured invaders, but I dont know about that yet. Havent tested.

I believe it says the prisoners would be an animal that you pasture on top of the prison cell building or dug-out jail cells.
exactly.

edit: Also, what's the sprite for the Overlord look like? Going to base him on the Overlord from the games by the same name? Cause that'd be awesome. I take it he's transformed on the Skull throne?

Also, are the Death/Famine/Plague/War positions transformations like the Overlord? Their own castes? Or are they just positions? It won't change how I plan to change them, but it'd be interesting if War caused a random enemy to berserk around him (attacking friend and foe), Plague to release a horrible syndrome, Famine to sap the energy from foes, and Death to just suck the souls out of people.
overlord is a caste, he has no sprite.

the 4 riders of apocalypse are nobles, they dont have caste/transformations.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 110