Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 173969 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Dev Log - Day 9 - Alpha V0.1 Download
« Reply #375 on: January 10, 2014, 03:04:11 am »

Seriously though if ghouls can't learn bow skills I'm kind of confused how they're supposed to be hunters since they kind of need ranged weapons. Which makes me confused why skeletons do learn bow skill.

IIRC the "Hunting" skill only affects how close the unit can get to a target before they de-cloak. What I've been doing is getting the hunters on a squad and sending the squad out against some easily killed wildlife. After that I just need a warlock to run "Raise Zombie from Corpse" to make a Walker, then I kill that one and butcher it to get enough remains to build 2-3 more Walkers, and then I just go through that motion to infinity/as I need it and I never have to worry about running out of food, drinks, bones, leather or totems ever again. (They also sometimes drop a soul, so there's that bonus.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:07:45 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #376 on: January 10, 2014, 03:06:05 am »

Seriously though if ghouls can't learn bow skills I'm kind of confused how they're supposed to be hunters since they kind of need ranged weapons. Which makes me confused why skeletons do learn bow skill.

IIRC the "Hunting" skill only affects how close the unit can get to a target before they de-cloak. What I've been doing is getting the hunters on a squad and sending the squad out against some easily killed wildlife. After that I just need a warlock to run "Raise Zombie from Corpse" to make a Walker, then I kill that one and butcher it to get enough remains to build 2-3 more Walkers, and then I just go through that motion to infinity/as I need it and I never have to worry about running out of food, drinks, bones or totems ever again. (They also sometimes drop a soul, so there's that bonus.)

Sounds a bit exploity... perhaps we need to increase the costs of making walkers?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 10, 2014, 03:09:45 am »

IIRC the "Hunting" skill only affects how close the unit can get to a target before they de-cloak. What I've been doing is getting the hunters on a squad and sending the squad out against some easily killed wildlife. After that I just need a warlock to run "Raise Zombie from Corpse" to make a Walker, then I kill that one and butcher it to get enough remains to build 2-3 more Walkers, and then I just go through that motion to infinity/as I need it and I never have to worry about running out of food, drinks, bones or totems ever again. (They also sometimes drop a soul, so there's that bonus.)

Sounds a bit exploity... perhaps we need to increase the costs of making walkers?

The reaction is basically free, yes. I like to think it was left that way so we could keep testing out various workshops and units without having to worry about losing the fort to basic mistakes.

For version 1.0, I suggest making it cost a totem instead, then you can only make one per corpse.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:12:08 am by LMeire »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #378 on: January 10, 2014, 03:25:49 am »

make a Walker, then I kill that one and butcher it to get enough remains to build 2-3 more Walkers, and then I just go through that motion to infinity
That sounds fair.   >:(

Ranged weapons for ghouls are an issue, because hunters dont use melee much.
Zombies are too cheap to make. (I didnt think that people would kill them. lol)

What ranged weapons can fit ghouls? Throwing blades? I cant see them using complex stuff, but the Warlocks are too fine to hunt, and the Skeletons are too slow.

Are ghouls and skeletons supposed to get married to warlocks?
Well. No? Skeletons have NOEMOTION, and both Ghouls and Skeletons are genderless. Their description even says 'it', not he or she. Only Warlocks have genders... I didnt think that they could marry, but I dont think I can do anything against it.  :-\
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 10, 2014, 03:27:32 am »

Maybe have ghouls use some form of throwing weapon or blowguns.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #380 on: January 10, 2014, 03:31:06 am »

I vote for either throwing blades (It'd be really cool if they had some kind of javelin type weapon, with a rope so they could hit figures and pull them in. But I doubt that can be programmed in).

Bolos with a stun mechanic (they release a tiny dust cloud upon impact)

Blow darts with poisons, think like the morlocks in the movie version of The Time Machine.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/mv-FTNJw/the_time_machine_2002_film_the_morlocks/

But most importantly, I really think they should have one or two attacks they use to bring down the enemy, then rush in to tear into the stunned/poisoned/paralyzed beast to shreds with claws and teeth.

Bonus points if they hunt wild undead as well as normal creatures.

It's probably an AI issue. But I don't suppose there's some way to have it so that they'll close on enemies once they're incapacitated?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:34:43 am by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #381 on: January 10, 2014, 03:44:16 am »

they do that when they run out of ammo. At least they should, they have PRONE_TO_RAGE.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 10, 2014, 03:50:53 am »

The Ancient Mayans threw beehives at each other for their ritual-wars, is that low-tech enough for ghoulish range weapons?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #383 on: January 10, 2014, 04:27:22 am »

There is a zombie, quick, throw bees at him. ^^

Buel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 10, 2014, 07:46:02 am »

few questions. It says ghouls require meat, would fish count as that? Or should I just always have one ghoul hunting and butchering and using the meat for food. 2. How would I make another creature a ghoul, would this need to be a human based person, via, dwarf, orc etc or anything?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #385 on: January 10, 2014, 08:12:26 am »

Fishes count as meat. They actually have BONECARN, which means anything that has been killed counts.

Buel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 10, 2014, 08:19:22 am »

Ah okie! thank you just wanted to check is all. :)

Buel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 10, 2014, 08:33:20 am »

Also one random idea for a king and queen, how about Liches? I mean if I recall, Liches are the most powerful necromancers, right? Just a random idea! They'd give like maybe a slight bonus to raising things in the graveyard etc.

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 10, 2014, 11:22:24 am »

Ah Meph, you're missing the obvious! Ghouls using tools are for fools!

Personally, I'd be all for no ranged. Something about bumrushing enemies with a massive army of skellies and undead just set on tearing them limb from limb makes me feel all tingly.

But, there is an obvious solution: Organic weapons!

- (if possible) give them a breath attack like dragons or forgotten beasts, say a weak "Miasma Burp".

- Alter a pre-existing ranged weapon nobody likes (*cough javelin thrower cough* WHO SAID THAT!?) into a kind of "enchantment token" that Ghouls equip, or just call it a "Spitting Muzzle" re-name the ammo as "Bile" and have a squad of poison glob spitting ghouls! Their ranged could do weak bashing damage, but lots of poison, or piercing damage for a kind of "acid burn". Hell, strong ghouls could cause the "Melting" effect that lava does.

- If we really need something physical, then just give them a quiver full of bones. Like, literally. They're already a weak unit, just have a function like turning bones into bone bolts that makes them "throwable", and have ghouls toss femurs at the enemy to cause bashing damage. Bonemerangs. Or skulls. Carve skulls to be spiky, then throw them. Spike skulls. Point is ghouls are stupid and have sharp fingers: no bowstrings.

- They could also throw exploding maggots? Yeah I went there.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #389 on: January 10, 2014, 11:52:33 am »

DoX, you are missing the obvious :P : Hunters automatically take any ranged weapons they can find.  (thats hardcoded and I cant change that)

(So even if I do give them a special ranged weapon, they will still steal real ones, and complain about no ammo, even if ammo doesnt even exist for their special ranged weapon)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:54:42 am by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 110