Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 170793 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1605 on: May 04, 2014, 04:38:28 pm »

I started my first warlock fort last night and was wondering alternative ways to acquire anvils. I went from the 'getting started' section of the manual that all I needed to bring was Food/Drinks and spent the rest of my points on blocks for making a palisade. I couldn't find a way to create any form of axe or pick and ended up dieing on the surface not long after the 2nd year with no traders.

I always bring 5 anvils with me. Boneforge can make cheap axes and picks, but requires two anvils. Smelter can make anvils from enough metal bars. It seems like the only way to do a no pick & no anvil embark would be to use emissary to summon enemies, kill them and melt their weapons into metal you'd turn into anvils/picks. Just start with a pick. Also, can't you do the whole "make a carpenters workshop out of your wagon, then make a wooden training axe from the rest of the wagon then cut tress with the training axe" thing?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: May 04, 2014, 05:46:11 pm »

Warlocks don't have access to training axes. I ended up summoning some humans in a final attempt at getting some metal but they wiped out my tower to the last man/undead thing.  I'm guessing that warlock vampires aren't as indestructib,le as their dwarven counterparts, not one of the humans was even hit by my army, including the 3 vampires.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:29:31 pm by oldark »

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: May 04, 2014, 09:44:39 pm »

Bring some Coal and Malachite Ore, make a smelter and make some coke/copper and turn the copper into anvils. It's cheaper point-wise than bringing anvils, even if it requires a bit more work.

GunnerX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: May 05, 2014, 08:15:01 pm »

That 6pt malachite ore only has a 20% chance of giving you a bar without an ore processor.  Buying the bars for 10pts each is much more cost effective.

fedobear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: May 06, 2014, 10:56:05 am »

been meaning to ask this question for a long time, but what exactly is "minion's unknown frozen substance"? I get it when slaughtering mephits of all types.
where do I store it and why is it useful?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1610 on: May 06, 2014, 11:00:42 am »

Its probably their blood, and no, it cant be used... that being said: Could you try to milk them? Some of them might produce poison for weapons.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: May 06, 2014, 11:33:32 am »

That 6pt malachite ore only has a 20% chance of giving you a bar without an ore processor.  Buying the bars for 10pts each is much more cost effective.

Negative. You get at least one bar per ore. The ore processor produces pure chunks of the metal, which produce multiple bars. I've smelted 20 pieces of malachite ore and gotten at least 20 bars of copper. A whole lot of slag too though.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1612 on: May 06, 2014, 11:44:32 am »

Warlocks should use ore for the shredders, and ironbone or bloodsteel for weapons and armor.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: May 06, 2014, 01:01:48 pm »

Sure, but I was just talking about getting a few copper anvils for production. It's pretty cheap to bring along some coal and malachite ore, relative to the cost of bringing the raw metal or anvil and/or hoping to find an appropriate metal early in a dig.

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: May 07, 2014, 12:59:16 pm »

So... I'm curious how everyone is placing their buildings. As in what's the most efficient design for refuse pile/butchery/necro shrine/bone carver/soul syphon/corrupted forge/etc.

I usually just bunch them as close as possible, but it seems like there should be a better method. Been trying to find a good design recently.

Also is there a need for mine carts? It doesn't seem like it does it...?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:51:28 pm by Omnicast »

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: May 07, 2014, 11:28:15 pm »

The biggest issue I have with refuse/butchery/soul syphon is upgradeability: a large number of butchers can be useful for processing the results of a siege before they rot. I freely use quantum stockpiles right next to the butchers (keeping them uncluttered really speeds up the process). I keep the necro shrine close by because that's a lot of trips to make a skeleton. Bone carver can be further away since I don't use it so often. Corrupted forge needs to be near the forges for the ash and the food/drink stores for blood so it ends up elsewhere. I'm usually constrained by floor space and my necro towers end up being more disorganised than my dwarf forts.

Also bismuthite makes just as good anvils if made at the forge at half the price of malachite.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: May 07, 2014, 11:33:43 pm »

I just sort of put most of my death-associated buildings[Soul Syphon, Necromantic Shrine, Tanners, etc] on the same z-level and have a dump zone in the butchers shop for the bodies of wildlife to be placed in. I haven't had that many problems with movement effiency, as most everything is close enough together. Plus, for some reason the butchers shop is the best way to store bones. Vermin keep getting at them when I put them in refuse stockpiles.
Spooky Signature

hiphop38

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: May 11, 2014, 02:40:40 pm »

So question about reviving charachters. Have two dead warlocks, and I am trying to revive them, Ran the reaction twice, with only warlocks able to work at the necro alter, but no revived locks. I am sure that the reactions ran because I lost the three souls that It takes. Do the corpses need to be close to the Altar for it to work like it does for the skelies?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: May 11, 2014, 04:08:11 pm »

So question about reviving charachters. Have two dead warlocks, and I am trying to revive them, Ran the reaction twice, with only warlocks able to work at the necro alter, but no revived locks. I am sure that the reactions ran because I lost the three souls that It takes. Do the corpses need to be close to the Altar for it to work like it does for the skelies?

I've never had to run the resurrection reaction, but the corpses should be ON TOP of the Altar[On the same tile as the Necromancer running the reaction] for best results and its works erratically, so run it a bunch more times just in case[10-15 is about right].
Spooky Signature

Shardey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: May 12, 2014, 10:09:15 pm »

I have a suggestion for this thread.

Every time a new version/patch is released, we should have a post here saying 'A new patch was released, posts after this message concern patch XYZ'
Of course I realize not all posts would concern the new patch immediately, but still, the notification would definitely help. Not everyone thinks to mention
the version they are running when reporting anomalies and posing questions about various things.

Would make the thread more readable later one, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110