Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 174511 times)

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1410 on: April 07, 2014, 11:44:11 am »

So it's not any specific interraction that gives them opposed to life? It just sort of appears over time?

They start off already opposed to life, it's that interactions remove it temporarily so that you can control them. So long as there is a warlock or an active pylon nearby, the interactions that prevent them from turning will get constantly re-applied. If a skeleton goes without contact with a pylon or a warlock for an extended period of time, then they lose control.

But they all have opposed to life and they still aren't losing control. I even sealed them in a blocked room for 4 seasons 30 z-levels underground

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 07, 2014, 11:52:20 am »

So even though they haven't been anywhere near a pylon or a warlock for a year, you can still give them orders?

That's a bit strange. Did you make a skeleton banner, by chance? That removes the opposed to life tag permanently.

Otherwise, I don't know what is going on.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: April 07, 2014, 11:57:38 am »

No, this is immediately after embark. I'm testing a new unit that acts as a less powerful version of warlocks :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1413 on: April 07, 2014, 12:42:02 pm »

Best ask indigofenix about the opposedtolife. It results in the skelwtons being kicked out of the military for 1 tick... he posted a fix a while ago, but i did not have the chance to add it yet.

And you are writing what? Acolytes of some sort?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 07, 2014, 01:26:31 pm »

I'm a bit of a credit-whore, so I wanted to withhold this until it was ready, but:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You build them at the Necromantic Shrine (altar?). You'd exchange 3 regular souls at the red portal for a "magician's soul", and you'd exchange one "magician's soul" at the blue portal for 3 regular souls (incase you were stockpiling magician's souls, but for whatever reason, you need normal souls RIGHT NOW). The logic is that the portals access something called "The Mist", where all dead souls from all the dimensions go. It's part of a major mod that I am going to try making once I am done with the POS liches :P

Edit: I haven't bothered changing their tile yet (Was just going to use the normal tile with a different colour) or adding nobles. Was thinking of adding one noble Lich who can control a squad of 50 assorted minions, as well as a [NUMBER:AS_NEEDED] militia commander, who only commands himself, incase you wanted to station liches at strategic places.

Edit 2: When I am finished, they should be able to maintain control of the less intellegent skeletons, learn some of the weaker spells, and resurrect dead warlocks. They will also do some of the basic stuff that skeletons also do (poorer mining skill, etc)

Edit 3: Also, if that "Unlocked Achievements" website is you... Needs more Canada ;P

Edit 4: (last one) Does the game use the position of the caste in the file at all? Because I put that as the first caste
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:46:50 pm by bennerman »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1415 on: April 07, 2014, 02:11:52 pm »

Yes, it uses the position in the spawn scripts. Best to put the caste underneath all skeleton and ghoul castes.

Liches should be more powerful than Warlocks. At least in my opinion. And 3 souls is quite cheap, but I am curious what you will write.

And yes, that website is mine. I guess you mean more BC ;)

could someone please yest this:
Remove the IS_WIELDED_ONLY part and see if it works then
Wraithblades and mage staves dont give interactions to Warlocks at the moment, but they should. Could somebody look through the inorganics and remove the only-if-wielded part from the inorganics that are used for itemsyndrome? Staves should give a ranged attack and Wraithblades a slow spell.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 07, 2014, 02:29:36 pm »

I was thinking of it as a cheap alternative to pylons, which I consider a pain in the ass, because I have to measure 25 squares every time I want to place one, have to worry about line of sight, repositioning, making zones, etc.

I'm not saying pylons are BAD, they're just not the style I wish to use, and I'm sure a few people feel that way, too.

And not necessarily BC (though I feel like are implying something about BC's kush LUSH foliage ;P). The east coast is absolutely beautiful. Never been out west (which sucks because my ex lived/lives there :P)

Edit 1: Oh, the pop-ratio was set to 10,000,000 to try and only get liches and skeletons.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:31:43 pm by bennerman »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1417 on: April 07, 2014, 02:39:53 pm »

It was because dozens of canadians from BC tell me that its the most beautiful part. ;)

Pylons should be work. Skeletons are cheap, sturdy, can be upgraded, never sleep, eat or drink... they are the perfect citizens. They wont even tantrum. I had to give them some negative side.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: April 07, 2014, 02:49:14 pm »

It was because dozens of canadians from BC tell me that its the most beautiful part. ;)

Pylons should be work. Skeletons are cheap, sturdy, can be upgraded, never sleep, eat or drink... they are the perfect citizens. They wont even tantrum. I had to give them some negative side.

Regardless, 2 warlocks isn't enough to maintain all of them until you can get all the large gems needed to build a network. What would you recommend in leau of the bones, 3 souls, leather, etc?

I feel like it should be a hefty-but-doable price for an early tower, and then mid-late towers can build then in droves
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:56:37 pm by bennerman »

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 07, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »

I removed the IS_WIELDED_ONLY from the item syndrome entries in inorganic_warlock.txt and they still don't seem to use the reactions. Short tested in the arena and a new embark with wraithblades both brought from embark and created on site. Combat logs didn't show them using any abilities.

I find it easily enough to keep the skeletons under control by having everything on one z-level (like an open air courtyard outside the tower). The problem is when they run out for the same stupid reasons dwarves run out side during a siege. Then the next skeleton runs out for the same reason when the first doesn't report back...

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: April 07, 2014, 03:24:02 pm »

A lich child arrived in my first migration of my test fort (getting, like, 3000fps). This just keeps getting more and more convoluted.

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: April 07, 2014, 03:37:41 pm »

I had a start without a single Warlock... obviously I quickly abandoned it, but still... Is there any way to force at least one warlock?

I personally haven't had any trouble with skeles going uncontrollable really... as long as they get face time with a warlock at some point in a given week/month they seem to be fine. Still have trouble with the other undead and various demonic/summoned/animated pets though... had a pack of shambling skeletons chase down and attack a tamed animated ironbone maul or something. They couldn't hurt it, but it caused serious disruption until I managed to DFHack it dead.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: April 07, 2014, 03:41:33 pm »

I had a start without a single Warlock... obviously I quickly abandoned it, but still... Is there any way to force at least one warlock?

I personally haven't had any trouble with skeles going uncontrollable really... as long as they get face time with a warlock at some point in a given week/month they seem to be fine. Still have trouble with the other undead and various demonic/summoned/animated pets though... had a pack of shambling skeletons chase down and attack a tamed animated ironbone maul or something. They couldn't hurt it, but it caused serious disruption until I managed to DFHack it dead.

Go into creature_warlock_civ.txt in the raws and pump up the "[POP_RATIO:XXX]" a little

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1423 on: April 07, 2014, 04:02:22 pm »

Its line of sight. Put a pylon on a pillar ouside, and it will cover a lot of ground. And you have a week before the skeletons goes feral. Put a Warlock or pylon in a heavily trafficked area, and there shouldnt be any issues. Large, open areas are good. I wanted to force players away from the cramped dwarven forts... thats why you get free blocks and line of sight control. A tower. Thats the best design to play warlocks. A tower full of mages that control the undeads running around the countryside.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: April 07, 2014, 04:12:30 pm »

Its line of sight. Put a pylon on a pillar ouside, and it will cover a lot of ground. And you have a week before the skeletons goes feral. Put a Warlock or pylon in a heavily trafficked area, and there shouldnt be any issues. Large, open areas are good. I wanted to force players away from the cramped dwarven forts... thats why you get free blocks and line of sight control. A tower. Thats the best design to play warlocks. A tower full of mages that control the undeads running around the countryside.

Not that it makes a difference if this refuses to work >.<

Edit: How about this:

-Bones
-Leather
-10 souls
-5 Gems

They can levitate and maintain control of skeletons, as well as resurrect warlocks. They can't do normal skeleton labours. Because they are more intelligent than normal skeletons, they can also go insane, suicidal, berserk, etc. They have two magic gems in each hand and one in their chest. If they lose their left hand, they can't levitate. If they lose their right hand,  they can't control skeletons. If the one in their chest is broken, they die instantly.

Edit 2: Meanwhile, I think Creature_warlock_civ BACKUP.txt menaces with spikes of "I accidentally modified it before saving it as a back-up". I'm gunna try obtaining a fresh backup

Edit 3: AMMENDED: Oh, they were going to the stockpile to get food >.<
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:13:16 pm by bennerman »
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 110