Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 173981 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [WARLOCK] - Collecting Ideas
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2013, 11:57:43 pm »

Libraries are hard... thats the best I could come up with. You can build as many next to each other, they will fit together. The screenshot shows 6 of them. I tried to go for the "old style library with books all around you, and walkways above". Thats why there are stairs in the pic.

Or a more colorfull design, with entry ways:

EDIT: And I somehow got the idea that a "black rose garden" would be thematically fitting. Unfortunately, there are no roses in any tileset, so I made new ones. :) Had to replace one old flower... hope Mayday isnt too sad about it. ^^

I feel like it has some sort of decorational value... like this:

Mh... now I just need an idea for that rose. Something like "The Eternal Rose". Every worker that touches it fells asleep (doesnt work on skeletons), and gets no-age, no-eat, no-drink... effectively like a prison. They dont need micromanagement, dont need food or water, but they cant do anything. This can stop tantrums, or help forts that have large populations and not enough food/drinks. And another reaction is "Wake up the sleepers".

Anyone got better ideas for roses, rosegardens, magical rose-related workshops? ^^
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:14:58 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Collecting Ideas - A lot of screenshots atm
« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2013, 04:31:56 am »

So it's a stasis chamber for preserving a doomed tower.

I like it.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2013, 04:40:31 am »

could you make a workshop that uses blood as a fuel source like a forge uses magma?
thinking that a Bloodling might seem fitting

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2013, 04:49:24 am »

could you make a workshop that uses blood as a fuel source like a forge uses magma?
If you mean: Use blood as fuel = Yes. If you mean: Build a forge on top of a lake of blood = No.

So it's a stasis chamber for preserving a doomed tower.

I like it.
Yes, it might be. It can be a 100 other things too, people just have to bombard me with more suggestions. :) I am just rambling, designing buildings left and right and have no idea what I should use them for. ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2013, 04:58:42 am »

Those libraries look amazing! I would make them squared, for the looks/symmetry. I like the first ones more, just the summoning circle in the middle looks way better in the second screenshot

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2013, 07:48:33 am »

If you can spawn DF demons that are truly randomized, it'll be awesome.
I'd say make your own demons (with community imput if you don't want to design them) instead of doing a crossover, but there's already crossover stuff in MDF, so there's no reason to stop now.

I like the fifth altar best.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2013, 08:00:04 am »

If you can spawn DF demons that are truly randomized, it'll be awesome.
Yeah, I can do that.

Dwarf mode can already do that in the black altar, up to 20 different procedually generated demons, different on each world you play. Same thing with the Forgotten Beasts from the Warpstone Pool. They are the real, procedually generated DF forgotten beasts as well... just friendly to you. :)

Rimbinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2013, 09:52:45 am »

I don't know if somebody mentioned this but warlocks does not seem like a civilization relying on mining or metals, so other means to craft and build stuf would be fun to see. I think It would be cool if they could extract blood from dead or some special pets and use it to make Blood gems instead of normal ones, sometimes they could get Soul Trapped in Blood gems as some extra more valuable ones. Workshops made of bones and other ex-living things (flesh, hearts, eyes) is a must ... How about more uses of Living stone for warlocks ? Like digging it and making living blocks much like sand/clay for dwarfs or using it for living turrets to fend of the enemies, instead of normal farms they could use farms made on Living stone floors or at least out of it to grow various ingredients . Also weapons and animated weapons purely made out of blood which would be soft but extremely sharp sounds good for me. Blood mages maybe as an extra magic type ?. Using Stable Warpstone for some mutations would be cool as well (why should it be only demons who give power), warpstone could be used to mutate a warlock to some fast healing or hard to kill ferocious beast or at least to mutate pets to superior ones (I would really like to see more interesting pets for warlocks since I enjoy pets and rising/training them in general so much) ... Another enjoyable thing to see would be living enemy sacrificing to demons to get all sorts of various items (also maybe valuable special blocks, gems or ingredients).

Somebody mentioned fueling workshops by blood I think its wonderful idea to replace coal used in dwarf mode.

I don't know if its possible but replacing or upgrading body parts in workshops would be very interesting thing to see... Like top caste of warlocks could stay pure or human like while working caste all disfigured with tentacles extra heads or arms to boost working skills. -Btw is the mutation thing part of Warlock lore or not ? 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:55:59 am by Rimbinas »

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2013, 12:31:17 pm »

Meph, are you familiar with 2nd Ed Vampire by WhiteWolf?  They had a vampire bloodline, the Tzimisce or something like that, that had all sorts of fun mechanics and lore surrounding bone and flesh modification.  It was called Vissicitude.  Might be fun to look into for warlock ideas if you want to get into the grizzly side of things.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2013, 02:14:26 pm »

Grimmash: I know a bit about the Masquerade, before the Aluvians killed everyone. ^^ Tzimisce sounds good, but adding this entire "vampire" theme... I dont know. Vampires are already a thing, and flesh/bone modification always uses transformation and that would always fully heal everyone.

Rimbinas: Most of that is planned... for example no Ore Processor for Warlocks, they make little metal and a lot of slag, if they use conventional means. They get bloodsteel, ironbone, ebonglass...

Living stone and warpstone usage is planned. Animated weapons, yep.

Pets are a huge problem. All undeads would attack them. Currently warlocks dont have pets, except undead ones that make themselves.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2013, 02:48:54 pm »

Meph, I was thinking more the flavor of the cathedral of bones, bone an flesh beasts, that sort of thing, not pulling in the actual mechanics.  I figured the inhuman theme of some of those stories and characters might be good to flavor the ideas of warlocks a bit.  Although I will say it is giving me ideas for trying to mod something myself.  I know almost nothing about modding though :).  And from your descriptions, it sounds like modding a race is a heck of a lot of work.

Back to Warlocks as a whole, there are a ton of cool ideas floating around this thread.  I think the biggest challenge is dinding a way to make warlock power increasingly dangerous as the player progresses up the tech tiers, and it would seem fitting to make the danger to warlocks stem from a combination of needing lives to sustain themselves and the threat of all the magical creations and undead or demons or the warlocks turning on themselves.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2013, 03:32:27 pm »

So how are we doing with demon summoning? Is there a way for them to break out?

I know you can have enslaved dwarves and humans and goblins working in Orc workshops for special things.

What if you can do the same with demon workshops? But if a building destroyer gets in (and make sure to put them in places where this is likely, for example, requiring touching slade and with magma source as well? or needing to be outside, things like that), then it releases this big angry hostile demon?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2013, 05:45:40 pm »

Havent done anything on demon summoning yet. Mostly I have just been testing basic entity behaviour (which is super odd, and no one has done a undead race before), testing the layout of skills and civ-creatures, and making designs. Still, ~30h are already put into this. ;)

And from your descriptions, it sounds like modding a race is a heck of a lot of work.
It depends what you do. Just a race is easy, but it has to be unique. It must play differently from the other civs, otherwise it would be "dwarves in robes". It must be the same size as the other MDF races, which are huge. If I wrote a civ for vanilla DF, it would be much smaller. But MDF players are used to so many extra workshops that add basic features, I have to redo them all for the new civ. And the balancing... that will be the big one.

Currently I have a civ in which half of the population doesnt eat, sleep or drink. They dont learn new skills, except if manually tought. They cant have pets. Undeads, evil biomes, tombs and towers are actually benefitial. All caravans that arrive will be butchered, because they are automatically attacked by the living dead. Civ members are not based on migration (I hope to cap it at the 2 hardcoded waves), but are freely constructed from materials.

Its all very... unusual. And I have no idea how it will play out. ;) Testing, bugtesting and balancetesting will take a long time.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 30, 2013, 06:00:18 pm »

So would the black rose sleeping thing count as an injury and spawn a rescue job, (And thus presumably make undeads move all the valuable warlocks deep into the safety of the tower) or would one just have to heavily fortify the garden to keep invaders out?

Further ideas related to that:

Parasitic roses that "attack" living things that get too close with a heavy bleeding syndrome.

Poisonous roses that can be farmed for their thorns, which are then refined into a nerve-damage toxin barrel with "Warlock Alchemy" or whatever.

Possibly farming roses into a "perfume" or whatever, used to apply to fleshy undeads so they don't spread miasma and make their masters miserable.

A rose with the opposite effect of the sleeping one, causing a living thing to move much faster at the cost of getting hungry and thirsty faster. Probably a catch-22 for worker efficiency, though if you've got a lot of lavish meals and drinks prepared, it might be a good way to calm down someone too important to risk putting to sleep like a military officer.

A "rosebush topiary" building, basically a statue/plant pot to beautify the rooms of demanding warlock nobles. Would be nice to occasionally generate a "watering and pruning" job that required a bucket of water, maybe make it wither away without care.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:31:06 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2013, 07:12:06 pm »

in the beverages department i suggest using blood... for Bloody marys? taking the funny side of warlocks 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 110