Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: StarLords3K - An on-line strategic 4X space game  (Read 37595 times)

mahks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLords3K
Re: StarLords3K - An on-line strategic 4X space game
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2014, 08:39:23 pm »

level 4 refinery is decently expensive

Build a refinery on another star, higher level refineries can be built when your materials constraints have eased.

A big mistake for new players is to level up their structures too soon.
Building low level structures on other stars is usually much more efficient.
The only exception is the academy, since you want the higher speed & maximum training.

mahks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLords3K
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2014, 08:42:39 pm »

Are there non-player stars that display with the "enter and your fleets will be annihilated" message, or is it safe to assume that's all player territory?

If you are referring to "Restricted Space", those stars may be off limits for many reasons, sorry but my non-disclosure agreement with the Empire prevents me from giving you more details on that...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2014, 09:00:46 pm »

Are there non-player stars that display with the "enter and your fleets will be annihilated" message, or is it safe to assume that's all player territory?

If you are referring to "Restricted Space", those stars may be off limits for many reasons, sorry but my non-disclosure agreement with the Empire prevents me from giving you more details on that...

Yeah, that.  Fair enough answer.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2014, 04:26:33 pm »

As it turns one, the eastward stars turned out to be another player, so I've got trade partners now- a nice side income.

To the south was an imperial base, so no more contiguous empire.  At least I can get past that.

Actually, besides transit times (and no domestic shipping option) is there any penalty to a non-contiguous empire?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

mahks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLords3K
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2014, 04:57:56 pm »

is there any penalty to a non-contiguous empire?

Because you will need to use freighters to transfer resources to those remote colonies, they will be subject to  piracy (by other players).

Remote colonies are also more vulnerable during times of war.

There is no hard coded penalty.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2014, 08:07:00 am »

Well, the Imperial bases to the south go on for a while, and there's huge independent worlds and trade guilds mixed in.  Expansion has halted for the moment.

I have 14 stars, but I'm not really sure how good/bad that is for a bit under a week in.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2014, 01:45:49 pm »

And I'm officially boxed in by Restricted Space.  I know at least two groups of them are other players, because there's only one other player in my "box" and yet I have three contacts.  I suppose I'll just have to wait for their protection to drop.

Things are going well, though, because the other player has sworn fealty to me.  I think the best part was the massive trade good increase.  It does seem a bit odd that the only way to receive the "Majesty" award is to swear fealty- not be sworn to- but I guess that's part of the design toward encouraging becoming a vassal.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2014, 01:53:10 pm »

And I'm officially boxed in by Restricted Space.  I know at least two groups of them are other players, because there's only one other player in my "box" and yet I have three contacts.  I suppose I'll just have to wait for their protection to drop.

Things are going well, though, because the other player has sworn fealty to me.  I think the best part was the massive trade good increase.  It does seem a bit odd that the only way to receive the "Majesty" award is to swear fealty- not be sworn to- but I guess that's part of the design toward encouraging becoming a vassal.
Arguably the best part of being a vassal of someone if your assigned a ministry position(if you don't get assigned a ministry then you should raise a fuss), something like 7% reduction in the time and cost of structures pans out in the long run very well.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2014, 02:09:55 pm »

Yeah, that exact spot was in the offer.

I'm a bit confused on how exactly ministry positions work- if Player is my vassal, I fill one of his ministry slots?  Does he fill one of my ministry slots?  Do we both get the bonus, or just one?

mahks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLords3K
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2014, 05:14:01 pm »

A sovereign does not get any bonus from a vassals ministry. You may assign ministries only to your vassals.

You must find yourself a sovereign to gain a ministry.

You may be both sovereign to your vassals and vassal to a sovereign.
(See the fealty section in the manual)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2014, 07:49:28 pm »

Gotcha- so it's beneficial down only for ministries.  Makes sense to get something for the tribute cost.

In other news, a neighbor dropped protection so I can explore outward again.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2014, 07:47:19 pm »

More people should play this.  It's really held my attention, and there's not a lot of time required.  There's a bit of a curve to get how the jump mechanics work, but if you've got half an hour to give the tutorial, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2014, 07:52:24 pm »

More people should play this.  It's really held my attention, and there's not a lot of time required.  There's a bit of a curve to get how the jump mechanics work, but if you've got half an hour to give the tutorial, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

I agree with this completely. I learned so much from the last universe I a super excited to see how this one pans out.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2014, 07:57:30 pm »

I'm almost disappointed when I come on, spend 10 minutes exploring and coordinating things, then am out of things to do!  Only one of my neighbors is talkative.

I suspect one may be no longer playing, and he's got some resources I would like

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2014, 10:01:41 am »

Fine, I'll jump in. Been looking at this game for a while, so might as well if you want more players.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13