Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: StarLords3K - An on-line strategic 4X space game  (Read 37605 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarLords3K - An on-line strategic 4X space game
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 02:11:00 am »

A few days ago I got a "cycle end error" but I got an email from Admin telling me it was all fixed.

My life has gotten busy, so I've had to cut responsibilities, this game being one such cut.  But if you can spare a little time each day (5 minutes is a pretty low estimate, unless you're going on twice a day and only need to confirm trades), it's a lot of fun.

Did you stop playing before Domestic shipping came in? That is seriously lowered the amount of time you spend in game trying to deal with shipping resources around.

As I said before, the developer is hungry for ideas and really responsive to bug reports or suggestions. It is a fun, low overhead game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2014, 06:54:54 am »

A few days ago I got a "cycle end error" but I got an email from Admin telling me it was all fixed.

My life has gotten busy, so I've had to cut responsibilities, this game being one such cut.  But if you can spare a little time each day (5 minutes is a pretty low estimate, unless you're going on twice a day and only need to confirm trades), it's a lot of fun.

Did you stop playing before Domestic shipping came in? That is seriously lowered the amount of time you spend in game trying to deal with shipping resources around.

As I said before, the developer is hungry for ideas and really responsive to bug reports or suggestions. It is a fun, low overhead game.
Right as it was coming out.  As for my life getting busy, it's gone to the point where I can barely find time to play once every two days.  So the overall frequency of turns has gone down considerably, regardless of the length of those turns.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2014, 09:56:23 pm »

The current round of the game is coming to an end with a major galactic war. No one knows who will join who's side yet, but after the war is finished the game will be reset.

Rests are always a good time to join up!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2014, 08:32:06 pm »

Well I lost the war.

The good news is the new world is only a couple days old so it is a good time to get in and try your hand.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2014, 08:58:04 pm »

PTW, not sure if I could dedicate the time toward playing this (and mostly learning this, from what I've read) but if I can, I'll be sure to check this out.
From what the OP shows, and people have said here, it looks promising.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

mahks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLords3K
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2014, 09:43:17 pm »

not sure if I could dedicate the time toward playing this (and mostly learning this, from what I've read)

There are players only spending 5 minutes a day in-game, most seem to spend 10-15 minutes twice a day.
The learning curve is the greatest hurdle. It is best to treat your first game as a leaning session.
If you lack the time, you can just muddle along and figure things out  over time.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2014, 10:00:47 pm »

not sure if I could dedicate the time toward playing this (and mostly learning this, from what I've read)

There are players only spending 5 minutes a day in-game, most seem to spend 10-15 minutes twice a day.
The learning curve is the greatest hurdle. It is best to treat your first game as a leaning session.
If you lack the time, you can just muddle along and figure things out  over time.

To add to this a bit. There are very few incentives to beating up new players, so you don't really run a huge risk by having low activity. Also it seems like I have always started in a good position with several buffer stars. Most of my first game was spent figuring out how to get those 5 or 6 core stars working together.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2014, 10:19:32 pm »

I may try this some time later this week/next week, once my schedule cools down. But I want to save those first runs with the tutorial for when I have time to spare.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2014, 11:00:08 pm »

Just started this.  The tutorial's working again now, thanks to an attentive admin.  (If that was you, OP, thanks for your help again!)

From what I gather, you want to build one big refinery and funnel all your materials there, correct?  That way you benefit from the "multiple types of raw materials" bonus?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

mahks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLords3K
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2014, 11:22:48 pm »

you want to build one big refinery and funnel all your materials there, correct?

To start with one refinery is OK. But you will find you have many more minerals from your mines that you get from trading. So after you notice an over supply of some mineral types  you will want a second refinery to process the excess. I usually end up with 3 refineries, 1 to max mineral types at, 1 for excess minerals produced at mines and 1 for when I get too much of another mineral type from trade (this refinery also processes mined minerals when no other types available)

But you don't want to have 3 to start with. There is a real balancing act with what to build, as you will see.

You can restart your realm anytime, so you could play around with a few ideas, try things over a few days, then restart with what you have learned.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2014, 11:52:03 pm »

Gotcha- makes sense.

I like how the comm panel tutorial has systems named after inventors of communication devices.  Also the Foundation reference in another.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2014, 08:00:32 pm »

you want to build one big refinery and funnel all your materials there, correct?

To start with one refinery is OK. But you will find you have many more minerals from your mines that you get from trading. So after you notice an over supply of some mineral types  you will want a second refinery to process the excess. I usually end up with 3 refineries, 1 to max mineral types at, 1 for excess minerals produced at mines and 1 for when I get too much of another mineral type from trade (this refinery also processes mined minerals when no other types available)

But you don't want to have 3 to start with. There is a real balancing act with what to build, as you will see.

You can restart your realm anytime, so you could play around with a few ideas, try things over a few days, then restart with what you have learned.
I'm actually curious about this since I'm already at 4k minerals produced each cycle, level 4 refinery is decently expensive but compared to building a jumpgate network, not that bad.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2014, 08:18:30 pm »

I'm rather distressingly blocked off on three sides by protected stars.  I have two ways out of this little peninsula before I'm boxed in- hopefully they keep going.

Several of the stars form a nice ring, though- with an independent colony sitting right in the way of the ring.  It'll have to go.

Also, the imperial aid change is a nice little boost.  Is it possible to manually exit protection when it shifts to fees?

mahks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLords3K
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2014, 08:32:12 pm »

I'm rather distressingly blocked off on three sides by protected stars.

Explore all the stars you have open starlanes to, things will open up.

the imperial aid change is a nice little boost.  Is it possible to manually exit protection when it shifts to fees?

You may opt out of Imperial protection once you have control of 16 stars.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2014, 08:34:39 pm »

Yeah, I figure at least one of those routes will open up.  I've got potential still there.

Are there non-player stars that display with the "enter and your fleets will be annihilated" message, or is it safe to assume that's all player territory?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13