Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Worldgen Crashes  (Read 2451 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen Crashes
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 07:32:05 pm »

Breakthrough! I managed to recreate the error in another copy of DF by transferring a single civ (I made minor changes, including the race used) to a new entity file. When the entity was removed, the world was generated normally, without issue. Using the creature in another civ also allowed the world to generate normally, without errors.

I'm going to try manually typing it instead of copying and pasting to find out if the error persists. Of course, I already decided to move the mod as a whole over to Essential DF (Good mod, Deon. Good mod.) but it's satisfying to find the darn bug.

EDIT: Civ works. I made minor modifications, but not to anything that should have been causing bugs. Future workaround?
EDIT2: Although... I did just manage to generate a world where there's a goblin civ populated entirely by kobolds from year 1, despite my EVIL and SKULKING civs being entirely unchanged from vanilla.  :o wut
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:48:49 pm by MDFification »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 10:10:31 pm »

Ok. So the game no longer crashes. However, it now has additional problems. Namely, the game's random decision that goblins and kobolds are interchangeable, albatross can form civilizations, and the proper name for the head of a religion is "the mysterious tentacle". (That last one might just be DF being weird, not a bug, but still)

Time to delete all other copies of dwarf fortress from my computer, maybe that will solve it. If not, I'll have to redownload and re-redo the mod. There's a chance this is not connected to the mysterious phantom error, but I doubt it; it's probably still here, just not crashing the game now.

I'm not sure whether this is infuriating or hilarious, please advise.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:18:07 am by MDFification »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 11:23:45 pm »

Really? Errorlog.txt! :D Your first problem is 100% duplication error!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 12:13:11 am »

Really? Errorlog.txt! :D Your first problem is 100% duplication error!

Yep. Duplication error showed up today for the first time for my centaur race.
Now, fixing duplication errors. Gotta find that out.

On a random note, I have like 10 copies of DF/old mods hanging around in my recycle bin right now, and recycle bin has decided it doesn't feel like emptying. Damn you, computer! First my DF, now my recycle bin? Everything this mod touches is destroyed

EDIT: The weird thing is I can't find anything named centaur other than the creature. I named my civ "Host".
EDIT2: Unless... my body template for centaurs is also named centaur. Let's see if this fixes it.
EDIT3: Nope. The Albatross civilizations continue to appear. You cannot stop the albatross civilization. Er, help.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:38:52 am by MDFification »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 12:48:15 am »

This may be related to a bizarre bug I began having a while back with one copy of dwarf fortress. I didn't mod the raws myself, but I think I put something in the wrong place and it ended up generating numerous gremlin civs in place of dwarven ones, with gremlins also being the race. I started with. However, as they were not dwarfs, they would not do jobs, resulting in nothing going anywhere.  Removing the mod I had downloaded didn't help, so I just scrapped that copy of DF and downloaded a different one, which worked fine. I'm not sure if it is file corruption or what, but try moving the mod files out, redownloading DF, and put the mod files in that one.

Hope this helps.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 12:58:58 am »

This may be related to a bizarre bug I began having a while back with one copy of dwarf fortress. I didn't mod the raws myself, but I think I put something in the wrong place and it ended up generating numerous gremlin civs in place of dwarven ones, with gremlins also being the race. I started with. However, as they were not dwarfs, they would not do jobs, resulting in nothing going anywhere.  Removing the mod I had downloaded didn't help, so I just scrapped that copy of DF and downloaded a different one, which worked fine. I'm not sure if it is file corruption or what, but try moving the mod files out, redownloading DF, and put the mod files in that one.

Hope this helps.

I've actually swapped out my copy of DF numerous times. It turns out copy-pasting raws will somehow spread the bug between versions. I'm wondering if DF isn't reaching to raw files located outside its folders, especially since I have so many duplicates in my un-dumpable recycle bin.  ::)

I could redo the entire mod with no copy-pasting (and one metric ass-tonne of typing) sometime over the holidays, but I have real work to do.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 01:02:50 am »

It shouldn't be don't that. My suspicion is that one of your files might be corrupted (but I'm inexperienced in the matter, don't rely on my opinion alone). Perhaps selective copy-paste will allow you to determine where the problem is?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 02:41:44 am »

Are you sure there's no CENTAUR in creature_fanciful.txt?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 08:17:38 am »

Are you sure there's no CENTAUR in creature_fanciful.txt?

I forgot about that *facepalm* it was deleted in my older copy, but when I redownloaded I forgot to delete it.
Not the original problem then, but it's easily fixed. ty

EDIT: That fixed the problem with the albatross civs. I'm certain that wasn't the original bug, but whatever.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:11:17 am by MDFification »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 01:07:51 pm »

Yeah. There's really no mystical "looking outside of folder" and other stuff, most of errors are a human mistake here or there.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Magnusen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 08:29:29 am »

This duplicate error happened to me once.I forgot to delete a raw file and zipped the objects folder (as a backup).After some changes i decided to revert and unzip that folder,thus creating a duplicate raw.Weird stuff happened,like trolls and werewolves having civs and constant crashes.Also i maked a centaur too but forgot to rename it,creating a duplicate of the fanciful one,thus crashing the game when it spawned.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 08:42:15 am »

I know this was only a few months old and has been bumped. Has this issue been resolved?
Pages: 1 [2]