Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60

Author Topic: The First Magic Girls: A New Day Dawns  (Read 65963 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
The First Magic Girls: A New Day Dawns
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:51:06 pm »

OOC Thread

December 22, 2012. 3:00 PM. Latitude 37, Longitude 139. 75 kilometers above the surface. A meteor explodes in a shower of blue and indigo fragments. Fragments of the meteor were scattered over Japan, Korea, and part of the Chinese coast. These fragments were mostly glowing blue, with some purple and rumors of other colors. Stranger than the glowing fragments were bolts of what seemed to be pure blue light. These struck a handful of lucky--or luckless--individuals, knocking them out.
--A very wise man.

Jane Grave
[2]
Enjoying your break year in Tokyo, you headed out for food. You'd be heading home for Christmas in not too long, but it wouldn't do to run out of food before then. The street is busy--it always is. Japan is so crowded. It's almost like they forgot to check how many people would actually fit on the little islands.
A light in the sky, a lot. Fireworks? Do the Japanese celebrate Christmas of the Winter Solstice with fireworks?  You're not sure. Those are some impressive fireworks, though. You can see them clearly against the blue sky, even though it's only mid-after--
You are struck to the ground, cracking the sidewalk, causing more of a disturbance than the strange lights. How injured are you? What's going to happen now? What the hell is going on?
A flash of blue, shifting through brown to orange, coalescing into the form of a lizard or something. The vision fades, over in well under a second, and you realize you're on fire! Rolling around doesn't help! You begin to panic, and everyone starts to hurry away. Why is no one helping?
It takes a few minutes, but you realize that you don't feel worse than you did before catching on fire--you feel better! You examine yourself, and discover that you are made of fire...weird. You swiftly discover how to change to and from this new form, and discover that you are actually perfectly fine. Huh, those cracks in the sidewalk made you think you would have died, or close to it...

Tyris Sent
[6]
"Wait up, Orenji!" You chase your little fox across the snowy field, enjoying the afternoon sunshine on your skin and the wind in your hair. Orenji goes over a hill, hopping down. You follow--an explosion happens, and you lose your balance, falling.
"Ow!" You check yourself; you're okay, but you landed on Orenji.
"Hey, Orenji. Are you..." You examine the little guy; he isn't moving much. You're not that heavy, are you? Picking him up, you notice that a sharp twig somehow was driven into his chest when you landed on him. "Orenji...no..." You watch his little movements slow, then stop entirely.
Everything goes dark blue for an instant, before blending into a light brown that quickly narrows itself to a band before vanishing entirely. You stare at the fox corpse in your graps, clutching the still-warm body to yourself.
"Sent."
"What?" You look around, worried.
"Don't worry." You see a sort of orange color in the air, coalescing into a new form.
"Are you..."
"Yes. No. Perhaps. Does it matter?"
"Whatever he is, the fool isn't alone."
"Both of you, quiet."

Two more forms coalesce, in the form of a brilliantly blue bird you have seen in pictures--a macaw, was it?--and a brown monkey.
"I grieve with you over your loss, but try not to dwell on it. Your sacrifice, voluntary or no, has been rewarded with great power."
"What kind? And why?"
"Healing. Speaking with plants, animals, spirits. Us. Channeling powers of nature, a little."
"And as for why...I dunno."

You stare, watching the four animals dissipate into invisible specters. You can still sense their presence.
If you ever need us again, just call upon us.

((And now Orenji looks even less like a word than it did before.))
((Hey, I wound up giving you something remarkably close to your original desires...nice when the numbers all line up like that.))

Miyuki Matsumoto
[2]
You are heading for your afternoon job, a few hours spent as a waitress for the late lunch and early dinner people at a local restaurant. It isn't great, but its hours are flexible and the pay is acceptable. Unlike so many restaurants, they don't expect tips to be part of your salary. What a nice deal.
Lacking transport, you walk. You always walk, it's healthy. A bit of a pain, in the high-traffic areas, but it gives you a chance to order your thoughts--
An explosion, high above. You spin, seeing a burst of color. Blues, a scattering of purple. Gawking, wondering what's going on, it doesn't take long before your thoughts are wrenched to something else entirely: The fact that something hit you, hard. Something glowy. Will you be able to make it to work on time?
Does it matter?
Everything goes white, for a second, before fading away, replaced with a ringing in the ears that swiftly fades. The world seems overwhelming with sound, sound you've never heard. You can focus separately on them all--the sounds of the individual cars and voices, people inside, things you don't recognize, far lower or higher than you should be able to hear. It's overwhelming.
You almost don't notice that you were knocked into a wall, breaking an arm, along with some more minor lacerations.

((P.S. If you can think of some clever uses for Sound Magic, tell me. I've got the basics, but I think it's a little sparse...or at least unimpressive, compared to what the others get. The only offensive thing is a blast of sound, which pales to things like firey blasts.))

Medomai
"Oh, dear. Poor Hibiki...how will she--"
Your reading is interrupted by an explosion outside. You hurry to the window in time to see a bit of bluish energy bursting on your tree! Your vision is blotted out briefly with a blast of navy blue, fading to lavender and pink before fading away. Weird...

((Would you believe me if I told you that I spent at least of the time I was working on your turn finding a manga for her to be reading?))

Shinohara Mao
[2-1] Well then. That was...predictable.
You stand on the precipice, prepared to escape into oblivion. The darkness would cease, the depression, the madness...the dreams. All so close.
Why couldn't you jump? You were ready. You left your room at last, planning to drop from your balcony. Probably at least a dozen meters, onto hard concrete.
That's really far. Scary. But is it enough to kill, or would it just maim? Maybe this wasn't a good idea...
You pause, uncertain, distracted, then get struck in the back. You lose your balance, topple, as your vision goes dark blue, fading to brown and swimming away in a swarm of polliwogs. You strike the ground, not dead--as you had feared--but in great pain. You hear commotion inside--doubtless reacting to your fall.

((You know, you i]would[/i] have dropped from the Skytree if I hadn't reread your sheet by chance. That would have been quite dramatic...))

Kaia Greenwood
[1]
You were just tinkering with the remote on the balcony, bored as always, when you noticed a commotion on the ground. Standing up and going forward, you failed to note something rather disturbing heading straight for your back. Your vision went blue, then yellow, then black as you felt a strange tingling spread through you.

You awoke, feeling...different. More mobile, somehow. Taller, thinner. Still tingling. Something else, something missing. You seem to be op top of a parked car, damaged by your landing. There is a clearing a couple meters across around you, dotted with scorch marks, and a smaller one around a pale yellow arm...wait, where's your left arm?
A police officer is standing near the edge of the scorch marks. In accented English, he explains that you will be charged once they figure out what this counts as.

Kikiuchi Yukari
[3]
"Bored. Bored. Bored."
Why was life so boring? Was it boring for everyone? Weeks could go, with nothing interesting to note. The only notable events were boring or, worse, annoying; the only interesting events were so regular they went back to boredom. Even walking on the beach...still pretty, but there's only so many times you can walk down the same stretch of sand before you--
A bright burst in the sky, blue with purple highlights.
"That's new."
You watch as fragments fall to the earth, scattering beyond the horizon, beautiful. You watch as one falls almost straight down...wait, could it land nearby?
Yes, very. Shit!
You manage to leap to the side, but it curves slightly at the last second--"it" being one of the glowing fragments. It explodes, clouding your vision blue and yellow for a second before it dissipates.
You feel...different. You sense the air, you feel some other abilities, like muscles you didn't have before.
Standing, you note that you dodged poorly, perhaps spraining your wrist. Ouch. You try out some abilities...hardening air to walk on it, a variety of air-blasts, turning into some kind of angelic being--huh. Well, it would be angelic, if angels were gray, or had meter-long yellow dragonfly wings, or anything like that.
"This...is...awesome."

Mimu
[6]
You are at the park with your parents. It's fun! You were running around, but now you're tired. Now you're just lying on your back, wearing your cat costume and your uniform. Your daddy doesn't like you dressing like a cat lots, but your mommy's fine with it.
You see something in the sky. Fireworks! And in the middle of the day! So pretty, with all the blue and a sprinkle of purple! And the one spot of blue, just getting bigger and bigger...
Blue faded to red, tinted with gold, and then to black.

You awake later, alright but in a hospital. You ask where your mommy and daddy are, and get told that they had to be flown to another hospital for treatment. In the meantime, you're going to a foster family. That sounds kinda fun.

Matsumoto Kimiko
[1] Oh come on. Is it just me, or are like half of the characters getting 1's and 2's on the "don't have bad stuff happen to them when they get hit with meteor shards" rolls?
You're heading to a bar. You're a few years short of legal age, but that hasn't stopped you before, now has it?
You're almost to the bar when you hear a crack. You worry for a fraction of a second that it's a gun, but looking up you see an explosion of color--blue, a bit of purple. Weird...and disturbing...
A glowing thing strikes you. Your vision fades blue, teal, green, before the color shifts into a sort of lumpy circle and crawls off. The whole thing takes less than a second, which gives you a chance to realize that you hurt. Like, a lot. Like, you're having trouble breathing and think you have other broken bones.
You feel a strange sensation. Pulling on it, sort of, you shift into a metallic body, made of metal. Weird. You stand up, feeling less fragile but still in pain, wondering what way to go, what to do.

"Keith" Johnson
[6]
What a nice place. The North Pacific was nice and calm, appropriate. Relaxing. Sometimes, you have been swimming in the ocean; it's nice, cool.
But for now, you're relaxing, contemplating the nature of existence. And by "existence" you mean "sandwich". And by "nature" you mean "flavor".
Huh. Fireworks. Were those mentioned in the brochure? Dark blue, mostly, with some indigoey-purpley bits.
One of the purpler ones seems to be heading for you. That doesn't seem safe. Shouldn't the fireworks--wait, it is heading for you!
You try to dodge, but the chunk strikes the deck near you. Your vision is clouded by purple, but you manage to avoid being too hurt. There is a weird crackle, like a radio which is slowly turning into the right station, but as weird as that is, it isn't the most important thing.
You're not sure, but you think the ship is probably sinking.

Katelyn Hauser
[3]
What a nice sky Japan has. It's blue and just a bit cloudy and...okay, it's basically the same as back home. But it's pretty right now.
Huh, fireworks. Wonder what they're celebrating...do fireworks usually have colors mixed like that? You'd think they'd be either all one color or have a nice balance of colors. This is mostly a darkish blue, with some purple bits.
Why are they doing fireworks in the day? Maybe it's more like smoke-works? Are the chunks supposed to spread that far away?
Is it just me, or does that one seem to be getting bigger?
A burst of blue, which darkens to brown and shrinks away. Weird. You feel odd, too. A bit...stretchy, squishy? Huh. And you also have a bloody nose and your face feels tender.

Willamina Woodson
[4]
You finally made it to the bridge. Stupid traffic. It's almost always like rush hour, or Los Angeles, or something. It's so marvelous, a slender line stretching over two miles across the strait. You just look over it for a few minutes.
Then, your ruminations are interrupted by a flash in the sky. Not fireworks, that's obvious; the shape of the individual bits of light is wrong, too...front-heavy, the ends moving a bit too slow and far too far, the colors wrong, not to mention that it's mid-afternoon and you can see them. Some seem to be falling in weird clusters, too. Fireworks shouldn't do that. And there certainly shouldn't be one getting larger and that one's heading right towards you isn't it?
The blast of bluish light strikes you in the chest, knocking you backwards, obscuring your vision for an instant with blue light, fading to silver which disappears a roughly-circular bit at a time. You feel nauseated, like your body is rejecting your lunch, but other than that you feel fine.

Claudia Yu
[6]
What a nice area you are in. Japan is...different. Every day, you're discovering something new. Looking up, you see a burst of color. Huh, maybe this is what you're learning today. So many nice colors, dark blues and slightly lighter blues and indigoes and such, spreading across the sky, falling over the horizon. You wonder wht that was about, and can't help but notice a weird disturbance near where the colors burst. You look at the discoloration for a couple seconds, watching it spread, before realizing that it is a chunk of something almost sky-colored plummeting straight--
You get knocked backwards; it hurts. Your vision goes blue and black for a second. When it clears, you see that you are laying against a tree trump, the rest of the tree having been shattered to pieces, with the edges melting a little.
Well then, it seems we should start...
You feel a vague malevolent feeling, which passes.

((This should be fun...))

Minami Hikaru
[5]
You are relaxing on the roof, enjoying the sun and having the house mostly to herself. What a nice day...what are those in the sky? Blue lights, streaking across the blue sky, with some purple ones. Weird. What's going on...and if that one getting bigger?
Everything goes blue, then gold, then fades to normal over the course of a fraction of a second. You look around, trying to figure out what's going on, and you notice that the area around you is getting set on fire.
"Shit!"
You stand up quickly, and notice that you have changed. You seem to have gained weight; you are now a lot rounder. Your hair is golden in hur, and in fact so is your skin. Also, you seem to be glowing, presumably with heat that is setting stuff on fire.
"Shitfucunt..."
You discover how to turn back to normal and hurry for the nearest fire extinguisher.

Hiroma Anaya
You were enjoying a bit of floutistry, a typical day towards the end of December, when you saw a lovely burst of colors. Blues, mostly, but some purples, too. It's a nice scene and (why is my creativity so dead argh how is it almost midnight) you get hit with a shard.
Your skin feels weird, and you feel all the soil and rocks around you sort of...tingling.

P.S. Blame Elf for the forcefulness of the shards. He got me thinking when he said I wouldn't pull punches on Mimu.
P.P.S. Why did I say "that night"? It's 3 in the afternoon! *facepalm*
P.P.P.S. Right now, the exact time for your characters varies. Most are a few minutes past 3, but some are a bit farther off.
P.P.P.P.S. Sorry about being rushed. Towards the end, I was wanting to get this done so we could start (and so I could reboot my computer without worrying about if this would return), so I beg for forgiveness.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 12:36:38 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The First Magic Girls: Characters
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:51:32 pm »

Template

PCsStatus
Spoiler: Jane Grave (scapheap) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hiromi Anaya (Tiruin) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Keith Johnson (kj1225) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medomai (Pufferfish) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Minu (RangerCado) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Minami Hikaru (Emral) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:17:56 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The First Magic Girls: Rules
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 11:51:51 pm »

Spoiler: Health (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Energy (click to show/hide)

More rules to come.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:40:42 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The First Magic Girls: Lore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:52:23 pm »

Reserved
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The First Magic Girls: ???
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:52:39 pm »

Reserved
Sig

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The First Magic Girls: Maho Ga Umareru
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 12:05:47 am »

"M-mommy and daddy okay... w-wight?" Minu looks kind scared. Would her foster family be nice?

((...The image Scapheap posted has become true!))
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 12:23:52 am »

((Not surprised. Find a good one? :P Aw no roll for me yettt))

Go get a drink of water before sitting on the sofa I hopefully have in the place.

Okay, that's not a normal thing to have happen to someone.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:14:58 am by Pufferfish »

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 12:32:10 am »

((Wow. I'm the only one to get a 5 in that entire list.
Also noooo my dreams of a monochromatic sun ;-;))
'what
what is this.
right
contain damage first
panic later.'

Those panic fueled thoughts out of the way, Hikaru tries to limit the damages caused by the impromptu fireshow.
Make sure ALL the fires are out.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 12:33:49 am »

Pain.

Lots of pain.

I expected this, but I had at least expected it to end quickly.

This is very bad.

Why couldn't I just die?

Attempt to get up
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 12:34:18 am »

Minu also suddenly realizes that you go to a hospital when you get hurt! She tries to look at her injuries, and also looks around for her catsuit and uniform frantically!
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 12:58:29 am »

Hurk... No, not on the bridge!
Willamina rushes to the edge of the bridge before emptying the contents of her stomach into the water below.
Ugh... What the hell was that? Some sort of meteor shower? Maybe the clumps, but I was definitely hit by light, not a ro- Hurgh!
Willamini's reverie is interrupted as she vomits again.
Radiation maybe? If that's the case, this might be serious. I'll head back to the hotel, and if it doesn't get any better by then, then I'll go and see a doctor.
Willamina heads back to the taxi, asking for a sickbag and a ride back to the hotel.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 02:29:36 am »

Yukari winced, her eyes widening. clutching her wrist and looking at in in mixed horror and awe.

"So I have wind powers...oh god."

She falls back down onto the sand, thinking for a moment, before taking out her phone. She needed to get to a hospital. She'd call Fuuka first; yes, he sister was probably wondering where she was right now. Crap.

Clinic, then house.
Head off to the nearest clinic to get my wrist checked at.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:39:59 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 03:24:00 am »

Claudia exhales slowly, her body deflating from the state of tension it defaulted to moments previously. She wasn't sure if she felt puzzled, worried, mystified, horrified - if she had to pick a word to describe herself right now, it would be 'blank' that fit best. This was something entirely beyond conventional human experience.

Check self. Am I injured or bleeding? If not, get up slowly and carefully.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 04:58:51 am »

((Most people when they get one's get a bit hurt somehow, maybe they break a few bones.  Not me though, I lose a goddamn arm.))
((I'll write my turn in a bit, as I've only just gotten up.))

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 05:11:03 am »

((Ooouch. At least you can...regrow it? :P Tis only a flesh wound.))
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60