Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unwritten Legends  (Read 1241 times)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Unwritten Legends
« on: December 13, 2013, 08:11:01 am »

Hey guys! Do you like MUDs? They fit right in with the whole texty DF theme, but I never see any advertised here. Anyway, here's a hugepost about my favorite one, Unwritten Legends.

Unwritten Legends is a roleplay-mandatory text-based game (automated afk experience game is not permitted, and all players must be in-character at all times) that's been alive and kicking with constant development for over a decade. On the surface, it's a sword and sorcery MUD with steampunk and magitek elements, but the rich history and incredible roleplay scene really set it apart. You decide your role in this world, whether it's taking up the badge and serving the law as part of the player-run imperial guard, delving into the arcane sciences, or just enjoying a cup of tea in polite company. The game is free, and it's just about the only place I've ever been able to find any really complex roleplay online.

Races:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Classes:

The World:

The Game:

So come say hi!
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Unwritten Legends
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 09:27:23 am »

Hm, I haven't touched MUDs too much in the last few years because it was hard to really ease into a playerbase of most MUDs, but this has piqued my interest. I might try to get into it sometime, when I have the free time.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: Unwritten Legends
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:46:01 am »

UL has a fairly small (at the moment) and dedicated playerbase, with about 20 people on most nights, jumping up to around twice that if there are any big, sweeping GM-run plots going on (at the moment, there aren't). It's a really open group of good people who play both good and bad characters, and even the cultists and criminals tend to try and make sure that new players feel both welcomed by and immediately involved in the world.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!