Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Craftrazors: Another 4e Merchant Fortress  (Read 17061 times)

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
Craftrazors: Another 4e Merchant Fortress
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:36:02 pm »

Welcome to the sequel to Cursecoppers, the ill-fated merchant fortress! Here, I will share my hopefully exciting attempts to make a fortress based around the buying and selling of merchandise. We'll survive by selling raw materials and buying finished goods, such as weapons, grog, animals, alcohol, magma, drinks, spirits and booze.

You can read the ill-fated, bubonic-plague ridden prequel here.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133501.0

Here's the nitty-gritty grit, to whit:

I'm playing with Masterwork Dwarf Fortress 4e, Using the Urist McTeelox's Unoffical Studded With Patches (master) changes-only release (from 12-11-13) unpacked on top of it.

The settings are default with these exceptions:

All evil-twin races are ON
All cavern races are ON
Taiga Orcs and Cutebolds ON but unplayable
Simple Gems ON
Aquifers OFF
Diseases OFF (As eager as I am to try out the new, rebalanced diseases)
Rendermax On (it'll make things a little crashy, but those screenshots are yummy!)

In addition to these settings, I made these changes to facilitate trade:
I added a reaction to the Embassy to allow purchasing a trade license for 1500 Gold coins.
I changed the material value of Trade License from 500U to 40U.

Forum Dwarves:
If you want to be added to this list, just drop a message in this topic or PM me, and I'll toss you on the pile.

Mosey (that's me!)
Quakhead
Pascale
Vabalokis
Zlurker
Freezair
Meph
Urist McTeellox
Oldark
Sefarian
MuDD
Mahrgell
Kaos
ThaMuzz
Sharpkris
Kamikaze
Razorback
Dragonfly
Migshark
Glacies
Sage
John Maynard Keynes, Merchant
TalonisWolf
Child of Armok
DoomOnion

Local Gods:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you enjoy this, please donate to Meph's fundraiser here.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131977.0
Do YOUR part to keep Masterwork awesome!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:58:16 pm by moseythepirate »
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:36:34 pm »

The two dwarves stood awkwardly in front of their Queen, shuffling awkwardly. The imposing, heavily scarred royal was legendary in The Seducer's of Loot. In the twenty years since she inherited her position upon her mother's death, she had annihilated the Seducer's ancestral Automaton enemies and helped keep the kingdom intact in the hard times of late. While The Seducer's of Loot was still vast and powerful, an era of stagnation had come upon it. But the dwarves had just the idea to get the kingdom kickstarted.
   "You see, your highness, we at The Wordy Gallows believe that expansion is the key to success on the world stage," the first dwarf said while unrolling a an enormous map. He stabbed a stubby, ink-stained finger at the map. "If we can get an economic foothold in the peninsula here, we can develop trade routes with the human communities along the coast. A modest local garrison will keep us safe from the goblins in the region, and we can recruit from the migrants that join us here."
   "And it's been decades since a new fortress was founded," the other dwarf interjected. "We could to show our neighbors that we are still vital and strong, and project our strength across the region. But we'll need funding, and labor. We believe that with a small investment, we could create a vital and powerful fortress. Do we have your sanction?"
   The queen rose slowly on arthritic feet. She slowly walked to the map, and gazed at it for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, she broke the silence.
   "You will go here. And there you will found Rigothstukos."
"Craftrazors."

Looks like it's time to get this show on the road!

Here's our embark zone.

A fairly soft embark, but with the big questionmark of the cave we're embarking on top of. Will it be a shortcut to unimagined riches? Or will it be a shortcut to an early doom?

Our original seven.

Quakhead, Lumberjack/Broker
Spascala Female, Manager/Militia Commander
Meph Female, Arcane Dwarf Alchemist/Researcher
Zlurker Male, Mason's Guild Miner/Mason
Vabalokis, Jewelers Guild Jeweler
Urist McTeelox, Mason's Guild Miner/Engraver/Stonecrafter
Freezair, Farmer/Brewer/Animal Trainer

A pretty nice set of dwarves. A jeweler, two masons, and an arcane. I love it when an embark comes together.

If you want to claim any of these specifically for own, now's the time, folks! Any unclaimed dwarves remaining of the original seven will be allocated randomly to you all.

Sorry for the bad font, but it was nice fonts or rendermax, and I would like to try out the pretty-pretty pictures. But depending on rendermax's reception, that is subject to change. Remember, I rely on your feedback, folks!

Our starting supplies:
Trade License x3
Copper Pick x2
Wooden Training Axe
Bronze Spear
Bronze Buckler
Dwarven Beer x61
Meat x25
Plump Helmets x11
Strawberry Seeds x4
Rope Reed Seeds x4
Shadowleaf spawns x5
Plump-Helmet Spawns x4
Bloated Tuber Seeds x3
Anthracite
Coke
Cotton Fiber Rope

We are also taking breeding pairs of Moleweasels, Shaggy Badgerdogs, and Cragtooth Boars, which round out spare embark points to a cool zero.

And with that...To Craftrazors!

Next time, we'll Strike the Earth!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:39:42 am by moseythepirate »

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Craftrazors: Another 4e Merchant Fortress!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 08:46:18 pm »

Really enjoyed reading the last one so I'm looking forward to more. I'd like to claim a dwarf but it doesn't matter which one.

Also, good luck!
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craftrazors: Another 4e Merchant Fortress
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:49:16 pm »

I will become the best mason/miner dorf ever. :O

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 09:59:57 pm »

OMGYES! So glad to see this! :D

Also, delighted to be dwarfed. Any gender/profession is fine. :)

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 12:25:32 am »

Just a note about Rendermax: You can disable it while you play, so you can zoomd and tab and window the game as you like, and only turn it on (need to restart the game, to change 2D and STANDARD mode), and use it for screenshots. So if the TTF is really important, or you have too many crashes (Rendermax crashes if you window or zoom)...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:43:39 am »

Just a note about Rendermax: You can disable it while you play, so you can zoomd and tab and window the game as you like, and only turn it on (need to restart the game, to change 2D and STANDARD mode), and use it for screenshots. So if the TTF is really important, or you have too many crashes (Rendermax crashes if you window or zoom)...

Way ahead of you. I set up hotkeys so I can switch rendermax on and off in-game, without needing to break flow. I'll probably be switching between screenies with rendermax on and off, depending on which one looks better and is easier to see for that particular screenshot. As for TTF, I don't mind playing with it off. It would get really tiresome really fast to have to save-out every time I want to take a screenshot, and besides, I would kind of like to play with rendermax on. But if it gets too hard/irritating for you folks out there to read, don't hesitate to tell me! I'm willing to put extra work in if it's what you guys want.

Oh, by the way, if anyone wants to be queen of our civilization, I would like to give her a name more interesting than the one she has. Just in case she shows up.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 01:49:27 am »

a queen always bitching for no reason? Sounds like me!

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 02:51:22 am »

Oh, by the way, if anyone wants to be queen of our civilization, I would like to give her a name more interesting than the one she has. Just in case she shows up.

If you have no other takers, I would propose "Queen Vyctryx", not least because she resulted in me finding this card on my desk one day, and I don't think she'd at all expect to be written into DF world history. ;)

~ T

Pascale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 10:02:50 am »

Huzzah! a militia dwarf is I. Great start, can't wait to win glory for the Mountainhomes!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 01:35:00 pm »

Was just trying to help. ;) Research will probably be difficult, the reaction names are very long.

And I would like the alchemist/researchr/arcane dwarf, please. :) Even if she is female... (again^^)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 03:33:29 pm »

Was just trying to help. ;) Research will probably be difficult, the reaction names are very long.

And I would like the alchemist/researchr/arcane dwarf, please. :) Even if she is female... (again^^)
Far be it for me to refuse :P

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 05:04:09 pm »

Can you give me a paste of the entry you did to add the reaction to the embassy? I wanted to give a merchant fort a try on my own time to see how far I could get before fun was had by all my dwarves. Although I plan on not using diseases. >_> <_<

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 07:05:53 pm »

Can Commander Oldark the Mad, Leopards' Bane make another appearance? Just finished reading the last updates from Cursedcoppers.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 07:43:00 pm »

Can you give me a paste of the entry you did to add the reaction to the embassy? I wanted to give a merchant fort a try on my own time to see how far I could get before fun was had by all my dwarves. Although I plan on not using diseases. >_> <_<

Sure thing. It's in reaction_masterwork2. Don't forget to enable it in the entity_default file!
Craftrazors has the price at 1500, Cursecoppers was 3000. Value it at whatever seems fair to ya. I would also recommend lowering the mat value of the trade license down to around 50, which makes it worth around 250 urists at embark. Steep, but fair. It's an animal material found in creature_masterwork.

Can Commander Oldark the Mad, Leopards' Bane make another appearance? Just finished reading the last updates from Cursedcoppers.
Welcome aboard, sir. The original seven is all tied up, but you'll be in one of the first migrant waves.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:45:19 pm by moseythepirate »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10