Fight the power!

Row!
- 0 (0%)
Row!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 16, 2013, 01:03:36 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: ☼SILVERGOOSE☼ Of Masterworks, Mephs and Magma.  (Read 24011 times)

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼SILVERGOOSE☼ Of Masterworks, Mephs and Magma.
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 08:33:54 pm »

Journal of Overseer Jerbot, 30th Felsite, 72

The aftermath of the Beakwolves has been worse by far than the fight itself. First the deaths hit everyone hard. I think they were upset and blaming themselves for being duped by the goblin sneak. But then our food shortage hit us hard. Not at all helped by: migrants!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This large wave of new bellies crushed us at a time when we were already low, and the mood around the fortress only got worse. All this mess led to tragedy.

After tragedy.

So far five dwarfs have given up on life. I can only guess how many more will follow.

I have made a hard decision. I have done my part to further Silvergoos, but I am not equipped to take it from here. More than anything, Mensrea giving up on life has really been keeping me down, even though I am normally so cheerful. I will resign, and retire to my smelter. I wish the new overseer all the best, and I will help with any questions they have.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 09:10:28 pm »

Here's the dining hall and food area I got dug out and is getting smoothed (hopefully engraved next and filled with chairs and tables and workshops moved into the side areas)

And the modest burial hall I began

And here is where everything got thrown that doesn't have a place yet...I call it the "everything hall" It really needs to be corrected, but I just didn't make it happen in time.

And here is our status at the end of my reign. After trading with the elven caravan and the crops starting to come in, we are in better shape for food and booze, but the trouble is going to be the unhappiness and what happens if a seige comes.

So organization of workshops and stockpiles would be a huge help. And noble quarters probably need to be started seeing as our numbers are growing quickly. Also a better defensive strategy... I slapped together a few pieces of copper armor and arms, but a full kit is really needed. And our depot is still just sitting there outside... Have fun!!!

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 09:27:29 pm »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 09:51:53 am »

I'm here.  Thanks Mensrea, I probably would have missed my turn.  Firing up MWDF now.

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 06:38:37 pm »

I'm here.  Thanks Mensrea, I probably would have missed my turn.  Firing up MWDF now.

No problem man.

Question time: should we save-scum if the game is irredeemable? I got us off to a noobish start and didn't leave Jerbot much to work with, and then he had some unfortunate incidents, resulting in what seems like the great dwarvish plump helmet famine.

I'm also quite disappointed to hear that my dorf has become melancholy. I was hoping for a berserker but I guess PTSD can go either way. I suggest locking him outside the fortress when the next siege comes as he should at least die with some dignity (in combat).

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 11:59:59 pm »

He died immediately upon unpausing.  My apologies.

My turn will be up shortly, and neither Jerbot nor my chosen dwarf lived to see the year to its conclusion.  The situation has stabilized at around 50 dwarves, which is good.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 10:59:36 am »

My week is completely free after tomorrow morning, so i will pick up the save and see what i can do once i look at it.  4mask, want me to wait for your write up before starting if you post the save first?

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 06:50:20 pm »

Does anyone know how to unlock voting? The polling system on this forum is very unusual.

I'm looking forward to seeing 4masks writeup. You seem like a veteran of the whole community fort thing. I also thought jerbot did a really good job on his and if we don't get any new people to sign up for turns I hope you will come back to the fort to do another run after jimboos (or another turn for myself if no one objects).

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 07:33:22 pm »

I think that you just have to start a new poll with the same questions attached.

Alright, I've kept you all waiting long enough.  Write-up time:

The diary of Stephen "Wolf" Rodriguez, human adventurer:

Entry 1:

War?  War never changes.

Nobody knows what sparked the great war.  Some say human supremecism, some say dwarven arrogance, some say elven snobbishness.  In the end, it doesn't matter.  The war was fought, the world was scorched, the old ways were forgotten.  To many, the time before the great war is considered a dark period in our history, when our race sought to demean ourselves by trading with the "lesser races".  They claim that the extermination was necessary in order to move on to a brighter future.  But me?  I don't buy that crap.  If the legends I have read are true, the dwarves crafted some of the finest goods, far superior to those we can make.

So I have set off in search of these treasures of the past.  Ancient accounts tell of a fortress ten miles from my hometown, hidden in what is now a lush valley.  Nobody goes there: they claim it is dangerous, the work of the devil.  But I know better.  They are like most of my race: scared of the past, unable to face humanities mistakes.  Some day, I hope to visit one of the great dwarven shrines, to pay my respects and offer one apology, more than the entirety of humanity has given.

Entry 2:

I have arrived at the site.  The ancient walls of the fortress are still visible above the surrounding vegetation.  My first glimpse at the fortress and I am filled with awe: the fortress's walls, despite being made of wood, are still standing all of these years later.  Such fine architecture.

As I approach the entrance to the fortress, I nearly trip over a crumbling ruin.  I clear off some of the overgrowth with my sword as my eyes widen.  There are stones beneath my feet, in a pattern that seems to indicate that this was once a center for trade, just outside the fortress walls.

I walk over the remnants of an ancient drawbridge and continue into the fortress.  Within the mighty walls lie the remnants of workshops.  They lie in disarray, but I pass on, not thinking much of it.

Walking down the staircase, I find little of interest on the second level, a stairwell long since dried up.  On the third level, however...
The dwarves had hollowed themselves out a massive quarters on the third level.  I do not stop long, however: I will work my way up from the bottom.

Down and down I go, deeper into the fortress.  Most of the levels are mining excavations and similarly uninteresting things, but on the last level of the staircase I see a hallway, extending off beyond the reach of my torch.  The walls are covered with engravings.

The first part of the hallway depicts the founding of the fortress by the original seven.  Even from the beginning, however, there is tragedy.  I reach a clear boundary line, and beyond it the engravings change.  They depict a new leader, whose name I can only translate to Jerbot.  He attempts to lead the dwarves out of their troubles, but more troubles befall the fortress, and many of the dwarves, including the first overseer, are shown running around, insane.

Then I reach the second boundary line.  The engravings change once again, and for the worse.  Dwarves fighting dwarves, insane glints in their eyes.  A spiritual leader attempting to hold his people together through the troubles, but all for naught.  The number of dwarves appears to be shrinking rapidly, and one scene shows the high priest, striken by melencholy, refusing to eat or drink.  The spiral seems to continue, until it finally seems to stabilize.  But so much blood... so much pain...

Slowly, I trek back up the stairs, past the third level.  As long as I live, I doubt I will ever again have the heart to enter another fortress.  But first... there is one thing I must attend to.

I walked over to a half-destroyed altar, likely from the time of the downward spiral.

"I'm sorry..."

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 07:55:42 pm »

Sounds more like it's written 20-100 years in the future, long after our overseers are done.

I can tell you how the war started, though:
the dwarves offered the elves one speck of sawdust too many, and everything went downhill from there. :D
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 08:15:15 pm »

Probably.  And as I said earlier, the fortress stabilized, but I had responsibilities that I had put off long enough.  Uploading save now.

Edit: save! http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8237

Also, I try writing in a different style for every fortress.  Or at least some of them.  How did it read?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:23:26 pm by 4maskwolf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2013, 09:56:19 pm »

I liked the style, although I initially thought that the fortress was abandoned and everyone died on your turn. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 01:19:08 am »

I liked it and also thought this had meant the fortress met its end. Can I be dwarfed again? I ask only for a dwarf that drinks.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 01:56:38 am »

I liked it and also thought this had meant the fortress met its end. Can I be dwarfed again? I ask only for a dwarf that drinks.
Umm... That shouldn't be too hard...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13