Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: Worse Things Happen at Sea... Game Over: Loyalist Scum Wins  (Read 50538 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worse Things Happen at Sea... DAY ZERO: Before the Storm
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 11:30:52 pm »

Day 0 - Before the Storm
You look around at your soon-to-be-companions. It's a long, twisted story what lead to you ending up here, signing up for the good ship Taluca's Song, and no reason to go too deeply into it. The Captain called for you, wanted you, specifically, on this voyage, and he offered good money for you to come aboard. He's a hero, the Captain is, a man well loved, and he's had dozens of lucrative voyages under his belt, and though this particular journey is shrouded in secrecy, you trust him. He's always taken care of his crew, that's the word around town, and it will be nice to be on a ship where your particular skills are valued. Of course you took the job.

But it's still another day before the Captain arrives to take over the ship - a vessel newly commissioned for this voyage, supposedly by the Crown itself. You'll have some time to talk with the other members of the crew before setting out, and make any last minute preparations.

You may begin conversing and sending me your role requests. The mutineers and loyalists have been chosen, and the random roles have been assigned. You have 48 hours to send me which role you would like to take. Each of the twelve roles can only be selected by one player - if more than one player selects the same role, one of them (at random) will receive, and the others will receive a random selection from the unselected roles. Coordination is recommended if you want an effective crew!

Number of People on Missions:
Day 1-2: 4
Day 3+: 3

If there's not enough people to go on a mission, there will be no mission run for that day. If there's only as many people as there are expedition size requirements, there will be no vote and everyone will go. If the town can no longer win, then the loyalists achieve victory.

Day Ends in 48 Hours
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:07:31 pm by GlyphGryph »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 06:06:33 am »

So... we either select who's having what role (so we can catch people out if they appear to have powers they shouldn't have) or we let it all be random/up to player discretion. My worry is that vital investigative roles will go unpicked if everyone jumps on their own picks, but of course we don't want to give the loyalists too much information when they choose who the captain should discipline. What are people's thoughts?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 07:46:53 am »

I'm all up for a D0 Plan-claim. xP

This will be very interesting!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 08:15:55 am »

Well, this will be interesting to play. How do we choose our second roles?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 08:18:36 am »

Well, this will be interesting to play. How do we choose our second roles?
We plan it here.
Then we PM Glyph.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 11:33:56 am »

Just noticed--there's no note on what exactly 'discipline' is in the OP, but by inferring I believe its a term for 'scumkill'.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 11:36:35 am »

EBWOP: "Ship-scumkill."
Accident is the expedition-kill.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 11:43:45 am »

Correct, discipline is a ship-action scum-kill possessed by the scum team.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 11:49:13 am »

So, there are eight people and 12 professions. I guess choosing which professions to ban is as good a start as any. I propose banning expedition leader and tough bastard. There is no benefit for town in having a lynch wasted, IMO.

Now, regarding specific picks. The only way we can ensure that no clashes occur (and thus somebody doesn't randomly pick a banned profession) (argh why so much randomness GG) is by everyone publicly choosing a specific profession, which is obviously a bad idea due to scum now knowing everyone's roles. Therefore, I propose the following:
1. No one may willingly pick a banned profession.
2. If anyone ends with a banned profession, he must publicly announce this and announce which profession he was trying to pick. This way, in the future, if nobody claims the selected profession we may be reasonably sure that either one of the scum is fakeclaiming a profession (which is risky in a game this role-heavy, and is thus unlikely) or that the person is lying.
3. Everyone picks whatever he wants as long as it is not banned without announcing it.
Opinions?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 12:23:55 pm »

In response to a question about Naturalist:
It doesn't require the expedition accident to happen to see how people vote. The scum, especially if there are too of them, may decide to throw their vote so that no one dies in an accident. the Naturalist would be able to see who voted for who. He would also be able to see who voted for who if on a trip with an expedition leader or something.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 12:31:02 pm »

2. If anyone ends with a banned profession, he must publicly announce this and announce which profession he was trying to pick. This way, in the future, if nobody claims the selected profession we may be reasonably sure that either one of the scum is fakeclaiming a profession (which is risky in a game this role-heavy, and is thus unlikely) or that the person is lying.
3. Everyone picks whatever he wants as long as it is not banned without announcing it.
Opinions?

Dariush's plan seems quite sensible. I put forward 'Poisoner' and 'Backstabber' as roles of dubious utility for town.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 01:04:57 pm »

Also, I should probably post this now:

Number of People on Missions:
Day 1-2: 4
Day 3+: 3

If there's not enough people to go on a mission, there will be no mission run for that day. If there's only as many people as there are expedition size requirements, there will be no vote and everyone will go. If the town can no longer win, then the loyalists achieve victory.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 02:16:32 pm »

So, there are eight people and 12 professions. I guess choosing which professions to ban is as good a start as any. I propose banning expedition leader and tough bastard. There is no benefit for town in having a lynch wasted, IMO.

Now, regarding specific picks. The only way we can ensure that no clashes occur (and thus somebody doesn't randomly pick a banned profession) (argh why so much randomness GG) is by everyone publicly choosing a specific profession, which is obviously a bad idea due to scum now knowing everyone's roles. Therefore, I propose the following:
Opinions?
I agree, however the note on #2 means that said person disregarded #1. Either they picked it in curiosity, or that they picked it to see if randomness occurs--and that means someone else picked it (yet they got it), as an intent.

And that scum can pick those banned professions. Good point though.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 03:42:14 pm »

I agree, however the note on #2 means that said person disregarded #1. Either they picked it in curiosity, or that they picked it to see if randomness occurs--and that means someone else picked it (yet they got it), as an intent.
Actually, #2 was meant to refer to those cases when a person picks non-banned profession, it clashes with someone else and they get handed a banned one.

I put forward 'Poisoner' and 'Backstabber' as roles of dubious utility for town.
I vote against banning the backstabber because 1) a vig is a useful thing to have and 2) if we ban this, anyone getting it as a random selection will have to either claim it and turn into NK-magnet or hide it, thus violating the second rule and everyone thinking he also violated the first and picked the killing role willingly.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 03:45:31 pm »

Dariush's plan seems quite sensible. I put forward 'Poisoner' and 'Backstabber' as roles of dubious utility for town.
I'm less sure about Backstabber. If I'm reading the rules right it could very well be a huge PITA to lynch at all. Having a single town-aligned kill would probably be a good thing.

Tiruin: I believe Dariush meant if someone chose a non-banned profession but got randomized into a banned one.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24