Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What's coming in the new version of DF?  (Read 7090 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: What's coming in the new version of DF?
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 04:02:34 am »

01/14/2014 Toady One Today I allowed certain sites to move away from their strict preset building types a bit, with goblins currently being able to alter sites that they are occupying. Trenches and small towers can now pop up in human villages, elf sites and dwarf hill sites that have been taken after some time passes. This can happen after a site is taken in play or from a site taken during world generation. They don't build up the sites while their maps are loaded, so it'll happen between games or when you are a few world map tiles away, until I figure that part out (not for this release). Overall, it is baby steps toward what we'll get to over time, and ideally we'd get around to having sites grown up in stages over time and remove the concept of sites having static overall types altogether, but for now I'm still toying around with ways of storing these changes that are compatible with building destruction and other site changes. I wanted to make sure to at least try something with construction so that site destruction didn't take over the framework.
--------------------------------

This sounds cool! I hope soon in adventure mode we'll be able to see workers hauling stone and masons using that stone to build the towers, etc. That way naughty heroic adventurers could interrupt the process of humans or goblins consolidating their occupation.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 10:11:38 am »

This sounds cool! I hope soon in adventure mode we'll be able to see workers hauling stone and masons using that stone to build the towers, etc. That way naughty heroic adventurers could interrupt the process of humans or goblins consolidating their occupation.

I suspect it's a ways off -- it would be a difficult, fiddly thing to code, with items, work schedules, etc.  There are some gameplay possibilities for sure (Bridge on the River Kwai comes to mind), but it's not the lowest-hanging fruit.  Might have to done after caravans if only so the construction materials make sense.

PeterisP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 02:54:12 pm »

It does seem that pretty much all of the changes affect things that are irrelevant for the fort-mode - apart from the recent change of allowing citters to climb/jump, the features that are much discussed affect the world outside my fort that I won't ever see and behavior of NPCs in adventure mode that I don't use.

Can anyone elaborate on what's coming in the new version of DF for the *fortress* mode?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 02:56:11 pm »

It does seem that pretty much all of the changes affect things that are irrelevant for the fort-mode - apart from the recent change of allowing citters to climb/jump, the features that are much discussed affect the world outside my fort that I won't ever see and behavior of NPCs in adventure mode that I don't use.

Can anyone elaborate on what's coming in the new version of DF for the *fortress* mode?

Complete combat overhaul, multi-tile trees, complete movement overhaul, retiring fortresses.

I'd be fine without any fort mode additions.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 05:00:36 pm »

Complete combat overhaul, multi-tile trees, complete movement overhaul, retiring fortresses.

Completely new Dwarven personalities, active succession for replacing dead monarchs, Toady-knows-what new stuff regarding Digging Too Deep.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Phynhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 12:24:56 pm »

I've been away for awhile, and have two quick questions; I remember reading about a year ago that entities will be able to call castes instead of just race.  Can't find the post now though.  Can anyone confirm this?
Second, does anyone know if we're getting access to the parameters in the raws for generated creatures?  Clowns, FB, etc.?

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 01:46:25 pm »

I have the Devlog as my home page dudes. People now react in emotions if a reletive dies! Go see it for yourselves......http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 01:49:47 pm »

I've been away for awhile, and have two quick questions; I remember reading about a year ago that entities will be able to call castes instead of just race.  Can't find the post now though.  Can anyone confirm this?

What do you mean by "call"?  This may be informative.

Second, does anyone know if we're getting access to the parameters in the raws for generated creatures?  Clowns, FB, etc.?

Not yet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]